rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
hub2

Alienware UFO Concept handheld (aka Switch Pro+)

Look at the prices of the similar Smach machines - they range from £600 to £1000.

Surely something Alienware is going to be over £1k? That's insane when you could get an admittedly much less powerful Switch for much less.

• Upvote 1

Would it be offensive to call this the Orthopedic Switch? Because that's what it looks like.

Whenever apple release a product, reddit comment threads are full of PC fanboys saying how it should have been designed whilst ignoring all the design rational behind apple's design choices.

This looks like those same people were talent scouted and put in charge of redesigning the switch. Specs >>>> design >>>> UI

Imagine getting it out on a train. Bet it sounds like a PS4. Jesus wept.

• Upvote 7

Amazing quote in the Laptop mag article..

It’s hard not to talk about the UFO and immediately think of the Nintendo Switch, but it feels less like a carbon copy, and more of a necessary device -- something that needed to happen. 

Lol

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, ABenevolentGod said:

Look at the prices of the similar Smach machines - they range from £600 to £1000.

Never heard of them. Are they any good? Does "Smach OS" run Steam games? 

A more viable piece of hardware would be one purely based around streaming, either through Steam Link/GeForce Now/Stadia/XCloud, with a decent-ish sized screen (7”-8”)? I’d love something like that in a year or two when the streaming services are ready, with a form factor very much like this one (but obviously a lot smaller).

I rarely take my Switch out, so portability (i.e. lack of fast internet) isn’t an issue for me. The best things about the Switch are instant off/on, and off-TV play, not the fact that I can take it out the house.

As it is, this will be expensive, big, hot, not all that powerful, and won’t have all the benefits of playing on an actual PC (no or awkward keyboard/mouse compatibility etc). Looks cool in a Tesla Cybertruck kind of way though.

31 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Never heard of them. Are they any good? Does "Smach OS" run Steam games? 

No idea, sorry, I don't think they're out yet - you can only reserve one at the moment.

Smach Z is a load of bollocks I think.

There are some pretty damning videos on the whole product and funding going back a few years but they may (or more likely not) have gotten their finger out and be close to delivering a product. I'd advise lots of homework before laying down any cash.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

A more viable piece of hardware would be one purely based around streaming, either through Steam Link/GeForce Now/Stadia/XCloud, with a decent-ish sized screen (7”-8”)? I’d love something like that in a year or two when the streaming services are ready, with a form factor very much like this one (but obviously a lot smaller).

A portable streaming device would be pointless at the moment. You couldn't use it on any kind of public transport and even 90% of WiFi networks couldn't handle it on the move. Most hotel WiFi can barely manage Netflix in the UK.

If there was any chance that Alienware thing was going to be available for say €700 with a usable everyday spec then I'd be interested in how it shapes up. Not an automatic purchase or anything but I'd certainly be keeping an eye out for reviews. Because it's Alienware though you're basically guaranteed it'd be be closer to double that. 

I guess it's interesting that they are showing off a gaming product powered entirely by Intel graphics. Hopefully the days of entry level laptops being utterly useless at gaming are coming to an end. 

2 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

A portable streaming device would be pointless at the moment. You couldn't use it on any kind of public transport and even 90% of WiFi networks couldn't handle it on the move. Most hotel WiFi can barely manage Netflix in the UK.

I'd say at least 80% of all Switch use will be at the owner's home. Like I said, my favourite things about the Switch are instant off/on, and off-TV play, not the fact that I can take it out the house.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

I'd say at least 80% of all Switch use will be at the owner's home. Like I said, my favourite things about the Switch are instant off/on, and off-TV play, not the fact that I can take it out the house.

This usage data from 2017 didn't back that up tbh.. 

Capture-28.jpg.d67ff9322d0b928064ab2e2819176e60.jpg

52 minutes ago, robdood said:

This usage data from 2017 didn't back that up tbh.. 

Capture-28.jpg.d67ff9322d0b928064ab2e2819176e60.jpg

Not necessarily contradictory.

90% or so of my Switch usage is  handheld but the vast majority of that is in my own home (on the toilet, in bed, on the sofa whilst wife watches shite on TV etc)

• Upvote 1

There will be people who buy a thing like that. Then play 2d indie games on it. 

I'm not sure there are enough games which are only on pc, are good AND would work in a portable form factor to justify such a thing. 

Microsoft should put xcloud on the Switch. 

• Upvote 1

I'd play old and indie PC games on it, yes. I don't have access to them now. 

15 hours ago, Paulando said:

I rarely take my Switch out, so portability (i.e. lack of fast internet) isn’t an issue for me. The best things about the Switch are instant off/on, and off-TV play, not the fact that I can take it out the house.

As it is, this will be expensive, big, hot, not all that powerful, and won’t have all the benefits of playing on an actual PC (no or awkward keyboard/mouse compatibility etc). Looks cool in a Tesla Cybertruck kind of way though.

Any android phone/tablet with a bluetooth controller attached can do nvidia in home streaming I think.

I have a shield portable and a gaming pc and the whole experience is just too much hassle and the end result is extremely lacking anyway. It's a chore and not comparable to having a handheld you can just turn on and off when you have a few minutes free.

I only play at home too but I'd be interested in something like this. I think the gpd win devices are too small (and therefore too underpowered to be a decent experience and also with horrible ergonomics). I think the size of this thing is ok, as an alternative to a gaming laptop as opposed to an alternative to the switch lite.

If someone could make the pc version of a wii u I'd be interested, but pc/ps4 wifi streaming is shit and laggy compared to wii u in my experience.

Don't see what the big deal with size is. It's as if we don't live in a world where everyone has tablets etc in their bags. The wii u gamepad is a lot bulkier than the switch and also far more comfortable to game on (this might depend on hand size but I suspect the market for a handheld pc is adults).

Yes. Last year I bought a cheap Optiplex and modified it into a nice little gaming machine. It wasn't console level comfortable tough. Booting it up, loading patches, dealing with freezes, the keyboard and mouse etc. 

If someone manages to produce a Switch-like on/off PC handheld, I'd pay some serious money. I have no issue with the size. 

On 07/01/2020 at 20:45, Strafe said:

I find the bezel shape very unsettling.

Alright Darth.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, partious said:

Any android phone/tablet with a bluetooth controller attached can do nvidia in home streaming I think.

I have a shield portable and a gaming pc and the whole experience is just too much hassle and the end result is extremely lacking anyway. It's a chore and not comparable to having a handheld you can just turn on and off when you have a few minutes free.

My point exactly. The current setup required is janky as hell.

But a Switch-style device that can be turned on instantly, connects to a remote streaming service in a second, and can start playing a game straight away (resuming where you left off) would be perfect for me, and probably many others. It would offer something new at least - the ability to play graphically intense games anywhere in the house in an instant.

I would half question the fact that PC gamers would rebel against a CONSOLE type device.

The thing is they won't, because they can claim it's the best specced hand held of all time - allowing them to further enjoy their entitled sense of superiority over the lowly consolerers.

WINK.

2 hours ago, alex3d said:

I'd play old and indie PC games on it, yes. I don't have access to them now. 

The majority of the latter ones worth playing are on the switch already, surely? Depends how deep into the unlimited catalogue of ultra-indie bedroom programmer stuff on pc you're going of course. 

I played Anachronox on Steam last year, with DS4 and keyboard and mouse as the obscure puzzles don't work with the dual shock controller :)

Lot's of great PC games aren't on console, e.g. the Gabriel Knight series.

1 hour ago, Rex Grossman said:

I never cease to be amazed at the lack of good design in the world of PC hardware.

You mean you don't like the garish neon lights around the analogue sticks? :o

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Paulando said:

My point exactly. The current setup required is janky as hell.

But a Switch-style device that can be turned on instantly, connects to a remote streaming service in a second, and can start playing a game straight away (resuming where you left off) would be perfect for me, and probably many others. It would offer something new at least - the ability to play graphically intense games anywhere in the house in an instant.

I wouldn’t want something so restrictive as a PC device.  You would not need a dedicated device like this to stream, your mobile could stream.  I rather something with a bit of grunt to natively run games and perhaps a streamIng service to run the more demanding stuff.   I’m not a fan of streaming games.

9 hours ago, alex3d said:

I played Anachronox on Steam last year, with DS4 and keyboard and mouse as the obscure puzzles don't work with the dual shock controller :)

Lot's of great PC games aren't on console, e.g. the Gabriel Knight series.

You really going to pay 1200 quid for Gabriel Knight though? 

They work on anything you can run emulators on which includes a lot of consoles and more pertinently, something like the rg350. Handheld emulation beast, £65.