rllmuk
Unofficial Who

What games did you complete? 2020 Edition

On 01/01/2020 at 09:39, SuperBrother said:

I missed out on this thread last year but found the 2018 edition a great reference for my year in gaming so definitely in for 20.

Indeed I just clocked one I’ve been working on for a while now so without further ado;

Reveal hidden contents

01/01 One Piece World Seeker (Xbone X) - an open world action / RPG lite in the mould of later AssCreed games. Middle of the road gameplay, repetitive fetch quests but sky high production values with nice HDR implementation. The story is written by Oda so fits well, this could easily be an arc in the anime. For fans of the show I would say a solid 8/10, for every body else,  WTF is this weaboo shite / 10.

13/01 Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (Xbone X)

This has been done to death in terms of explaing the game so I won't waste time. Suffice to say it was a nice breezy diversion and a hell of a lot more fun than the last movie (not hard TBH)

Overall 7/10 - a bit derivative, and didn't do anything particualrly well enough to warrant some of the more sensationalist hyperbole out there about the game.

19/01 Shenmue 3 (PS4 Pro)

I really wanted to love this, really. Unfortunatley the Edge review was about right, nice for sentimental reasons and great to see the story continue but it's painfully outdated in terms of mechanics and gameplay. Some very tedious "I need to scrape together a load of cash for macguffin x" sections which tested my patience to the extent I'm not sure if I even really enjoyed the last third or so.

I'm not going for a score here as objectively it's a hard 5/10, with the rose tinted glasses on perhaps a 7.

02/02 Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout (PS4 Pro)

My first atelier game in quite a few years. There’s a lot to like in here for JRPG fans, lovely presentation, really good soundtrack and solid game mechanics.

Unlike previous games there is no time limit on completion so you have as much time as you may want to grind up alchemy skill, farm ingredients and generally noodle about.

Give it a go while waiting for FFVII Remake!

09/03 Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PS4 Pro)

Wow, a belter of a JRPG. Kind of Persona meets plot heavy military type thing. Great battle system, good characters and a genuinely interesting story.

A hell of a cliffhanger ending so part 2 is probably next on my playlist. 
Look past the basic ass graphics (it’s essentially an upscaled Vita game) and there’s a lot to love here.

Solid 9/10 recommendation from me.

Updated for Trails 

• Upvote 3

Slay the Spire - I beat Act 3 with 3/4 characters and had a few goes at the Heart - that counts, right? Late to this one but really enjoyed it, it's cleverly designed with each character having a variety of decks and the monsters representing hosers for each archetype. And making the relics have kinda stingy and the true power being card combos does great at wrestling the usual all- over-the-place roguelike difficulty into something more consistent - explosive runs come from deckbuilding mastery as opposed to pure RNG.

The downsides are the usual genre downsides - the overall campaign is a bit long for casual play taking 40-60 minutes for a run, and you can stick hours in with only middling runs and feel like you've gotten nowhere. I recommend it - I'd love a faster, messier coffee break version for my phone.

Spoiler

Halo CE: Anniversary 

Crackdown 3
Kingdom Come: Deliverance

God of War (2005) 

Resident Evil 2 RE

Grandia 2 

• Upvote 3

Darksiders: Warmastered Edition

I'd been meaning to play this more or less since it came out, and it had found its way into so many cheap deals that I thought I should probably get around to it. I think I'd probably have loved it when it first showed up, as it does a decentjob of combining bits of Zelda and Soul Reaver with more involved combat, even if it doesn't match the strengths of either of those series. It's probably to its credit that it's still a solid experience today, but things have moved on in the last ten years and it obviously feels a bit dated.

It did however present me with a gaming challenge I've never experienced before. For some reason, this game from 2010 somehow became the only game capable of overheating my One X to the point where it powered off to save itself, and it did so pretty consistently when certain effects were present. I stuttered past these only to hit an impassable overheating moment towards the end of the game, which led to me taking my One X to bits and reapplying thermal paste. It actually worked too, which is the only reason the game's ended up here and not in the Abandoned Games thread. :)

The real Dark SoulsSiders starts here:

spacer.png

January

07/01/2020 - Control (Xbox One)

26/01/2020 - Final Fantasy X (Switch)

February

10/02/2020 - Disco Elysium

22/02/2020 - Frostpunk

March

10/03/2020 - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition

• Upvote 4

On 05/03/2020 at 23:41, strawdonkey said:

01: Shovel Knight

02: Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment

03: Racedierun

04: Super Mario Maker 2

05: Muv-Luv Extra

06. Untitled Goose Game

07. Glass Masquerade

08. Pokémon Sword

09. OneShot

10. Gorogoa

11. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

12. Hylics

13. LiEat

A trio of short stories masquerading as an RPG. LiEat is one of those games that is so slight in game but full of character - you play as Theo, a con man, and are accompanied by Efina, a dragon who can cause lies to turn into little monsters who she can then eat. The game is divided into three distinct chapters, each with a distinct mystery to solve and a bunch of fun puzzles to navigate, and the RPG stuff is pretty light.

The short-story format really works in its favour - it lets the game have a bunch of small ideas and then abandon them in favour of something else almost immediately.  

[edit] I have a copy of this from a Humble Bundle, PM me if you want it.

• Upvote 2

March

23/03 Bioshock Infinite (PS4) It still looks amazing but each time I play it I love it a little less. The combat just feels incredibly messy compared to the planning in Bioshock 2 and some levels are unfairly hard until you "know the trick" at which point they become cake walks. In retrospect you can see that this was a troubled project. There's some amazing ideas in Infinite but the moment certain thresholds are crossed mid game the less the plot seems to matter. The end sequence is still stunning though. And this at the start justifies the work that went into it. (Mild spoiler)

15/03 Bioshock 2 (PS4) The best of the three big Bioshock games.  It feels bigger and better than the first while making all sorts of quality of life improvements (like streamlining hacking) while making a great tale about Andrew Ryan having to deal with an underminer spreading an extreme version of collectivist politics in opposition to his libertarian city. It looks even better than the first and changes things up by allowing you to set traps. The sound design (when the sound levels are working properly) are among the best I've ever heard in a game, from vocal calls in the distance to the plinking of water onto metal close by. The only downsides are the bugs. This pushes the Unreal Engine mod they used too far and I had at least three hard crashes in this game. Save early, save often.

11/03 The Supper (PC) Short free graphic adventure game by the artist for Thimbleweed Park.

Ms. Appleton was always a wellspring of kindness, until The Voice started talking to her.  It won't leave her alone. It commands her to serve a very special meal to some distinguished customers.

You can finish it in 20 minutes. A perfect short horror tale.

08/03 Devil's Kiss (PC) It's one of those dating game visual novel thingys. Only it's by the creators of Ben There Dan That so it has such romantic options as "quick! Kick me in the bollocks!" Free with Lair of the Clockwork God it's one achievement is "Basically read a book." Amusing for the 30 minutes I spent with it.

07/03 Time Gentlemen, Please! (PC) The sequel to Ben There, Dan That with the due accidentally creating an alternate timeline where Hitler wins the war using mecha dinosaurs. Hugely improved interface, marginally less wanking jokes but a lot of fun. I did reach for faqs a few times forgetting that one of the characters can give you hints.  A solid adventure game. 

04/03 Bioshock 2:Minerva's Den (PS4) It was originally DLC. It's hiding in the extra section of the Bioshock collection in Bioshock 2  like some sort of shame. It's also the best Bioshock. For a start it's based around Bioshock 2, already the best Bioshock. And it takes Bioshock 2 and creates this tight side story that takes two or three hours to play through, compressing the essence of Bioshock.If you've played Bioshock 1 and / or 2 and haven't played this then remedy that immediately. If you want to play a Bioshock game but don't have time to play a ten hour game then this is also the perfect way to experience the core parts of Bioshock.

01/03 Bioshock (PS4) Went through this again mostly because my partner's interest in it was piqued by it appearing on PSPlus. For a 13 year old game this still looks as amazing as it did 13 years ago when @Phelan showed it to me on his brand new 360 (moments before it red ringed!) And a lot of that is down to the fantastic art design of the architecture and the doomed residents of the fallen city. I still prefer the second game mechanically (more on that later), and it loses a little something once you know the story twists. Still well worth playing if you've never given it a try before.

Previously

15. 27/02 Ben There, Dan That : Special Edition (PC) 
14. 21/02 You've to to be Kitten Me! (PS4/Dreams) 
13. 17/02 Art Therapy (PS4/Dreams) 
12. 16/02 Art's Dream (PS4/Dreams) 
11. 12/02 Juanito Arcade Mayhem (PC) 
10. 08/02 Wolfenstein 2:the New Colossus (PC) (plus The Freedom Chronicles DLC) 
9. 03/02 The Outer Worlds (PS4) 
8. 27/01 Quest of Dungeons (PC) 
7. 21/01 Feather (PC)
6. 20/01 Paperbark (PC)
5. 09/01 The Cat and the Coup (PC) 
4. 09/01 1979 Revolution:Black Friday (PC) 
3. 08/01 Wolfenstein:the Old Blood (PC) 
2. 03/01 Wolfenstein:the New Order (PC) 
1. 01/01 Detroit:Become Human (PS4)

• Upvote 4

January

Injustice 2 (story)

February

Don’t Die, Mr Robot

Untitled Goose Game

Titanfall 2 (campaign)

March

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

A somewhat mixed bag for me, despite a Platinum get. In places it’s fantastic, and when in a rhythm the Force powers are hugely fun to use (Force pushing enemies over steep drops never gets old!)... but I often struggled to find that rhythm, and eventually dropped down to story mode just to get past some of the later encounters rather than stress over getting my arse handed to me.

The fighting system never really felt intuitive, or particularly responsive. Obviously part of that is down to my own skills (or lack there of), and I’m a novice in such 3rd-person combat but usually feel a progression in terms of using a game’s system, even if I’m not the most dexterous with utilising it.

On a more positive note, the story is decent (and well-voiced), BD-1 is adorable, it looks good and the audio is exemplary - proper, top-end score and effects.

It’s just a shame crunch pressures left a fair amount of bugginess, weird load freezes and a few other issues that distract from what is still the best Star Wars game in years.

On the whole, feels like a decent, if flawed, game, but at least one with plenty of scope to produce an even more enjoyable sequel.

• Upvote 3

On 01/01/2020 at 09:39, SuperBrother said:

I missed out on this thread last year but found the 2018 edition a great reference for my year in gaming so definitely in for 20.

Indeed I just clocked one I’ve been working on for a while now so without further ado;

Reveal hidden contents

01/01 One Piece World Seeker (Xbone X) - an open world action / RPG lite in the mould of later AssCreed games. Middle of the road gameplay, repetitive fetch quests but sky high production values with nice HDR implementation. The story is written by Oda so fits well, this could easily be an arc in the anime. For fans of the show I would say a solid 8/10, for every body else,  WTF is this weaboo shite / 10.

13/01 Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (Xbone X)

This has been done to death in terms of explaing the game so I won't waste time. Suffice to say it was a nice breezy diversion and a hell of a lot more fun than the last movie (not hard TBH)

Overall 7/10 - a bit derivative, and didn't do anything particualrly well enough to warrant some of the more sensationalist hyperbole out there about the game.

19/01 Shenmue 3 (PS4 Pro)

I really wanted to love this, really. Unfortunatley the Edge review was about right, nice for sentimental reasons and great to see the story continue but it's painfully outdated in terms of mechanics and gameplay. Some very tedious "I need to scrape together a load of cash for macguffin x" sections which tested my patience to the extent I'm not sure if I even really enjoyed the last third or so.

I'm not going for a score here as objectively it's a hard 5/10, with the rose tinted glasses on perhaps a 7.

02/02 Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout (PS4 Pro)

My first atelier game in quite a few years. There’s a lot to like in here for JRPG fans, lovely presentation, really good soundtrack and solid game mechanics.

Unlike previous games there is no time limit on completion so you have as much time as you may want to grind up alchemy skill, farm ingredients and generally noodle about.

Give it a go while waiting for FFVII Remake!

09/03 Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PS4 Pro)

Wow, a belter of a JRPG. Kind of Persona meets plot heavy military type thing. Great battle system, good characters and a genuinely interesting story.

A hell of a cliffhanger ending so part 2 is probably next on my playlist. 
Look past the basic ass graphics (it’s essentially an upscaled Vita game) and there’s a lot to love here.

Solid 9/10 recommendation from me

11/03 Call of Duty:WW2 (Xbonex) campaign done, hate multiplayer 

I fancied a “dumb” game after a couple of heavy RPG’s and that’s exactly what I got.

Hateful American bro-shit story, dodgy ending section which did not sit well at all and landed very badly.

Of course top drawer production and some great spectacle but it’s ultimately fucking trash.

updated for COD shit.

• Upvote 2

Previously...

AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake) - PC - 2016 (1991)
Ecco The Dolphin - Mega CD - 1992/3
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - 3DS - 2012/14
Mega Man X - SNES - 1993
Super Metroid - SNES - 1994
Donkey Kong Country - SNES - 1994
Chrono Trigger - SNES - 1995

Star Fox 2 - SNES - 2017 (1995)

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - SNES - 1995

Or, as it was known on the Gameboy Advance, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3. It can't just be its own thing, it has to be part of a series - which is weird, because it's a unique and wonderful little platformer that doesn't fit into the style of any of the mainline Mario platformers. And I say "little" but it's actually pretty long for a platformer, and more so if you care to collect all of the flowers, coins and stars on each level. I had a good attempt at this in 2002 but I wasn't prepared to do that again this time; just a single run-through of every level is enough. There's bags of imagination and whimsy throughout, with each level offering something new or interesting (touch fuzzy!). Fabulous art design, solid mechanics and incredibly impressive bosses. One boss in particular seems like a precursor to something out of Mario Galaxy. Ridiculously advanced use of 16-bit hardware, sprite scaling, rotation, 3D elements and even basic fluid simulation, all wrapped up in a chalk-drawing art style that hasn't aged a day. It's by no means a perfect game - many of the levels outstay their welcome and for all the joyous, charming fun, there's horrible, frustrating, annoyance around every corner too. The flutter jump often hinders rather than helps and that little pause/freeze when you're hit or when you uncover a hidden passage, makes the game feel unresponsive at urgent moments. Still, it's twenty-five years old and certainly doesn't look it!

• Upvote 4

6. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)

ETHB_N3XgAAouFX?format=jpg&name=4096x409

This was a slick 8 hour romp through some very pretty scenery that doesn't make too many demands on the player (even on hard mode) and, like the rest of Naughty Dog's output, is polished to a high sheen. If you've played an Uncharted game before then you know what to expect and this doesn't really deviate from the formula at all. All the same, it goes down easy and the production values are high enough to cause you to forget that all you're really doing is following a linear path, collecting some shinies and occasionally taking part in some rather bare-bones cover shooter/stealth gameplay. The ludo-narrative dissonance is as strong as it ever was in the mainline Nathan Drake entries - for all the wanton murder she commits your chirpy avatar never manages to lose her wry smile and ready repartee - but when the game looks and sounds this good, and plays this well, you'd be forgiven for suspending your disbelief.

I doubt it'll prove especially memorable, but it was enjoyable all the same and, to my mind, does the whole Indiana Jones treasure hunter thing more successfully than the recent Tomb Raider trilogy.

8/10

Completed previously:

Spoiler

1. Death Stranding (PS4) - 8/10

2. Mark of the Ninja Remastered (Switch) - 7/10

3. Firewatch (PS4) - 7/10

4. Dishonored 2 (PS4) - 7/10

5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) (PS4) - 6/10

• Upvote 4

10/03 - GRID (Xbox One) - I have mixed feelings about this. It gets a lot right, the handling is good, there’s a good variety of disciplines, but it could really do with more circuits to drive around. In addition the rival AI is all over the place, with other drivers often taking you out as they seemingly stick to their pre-ordained route. The nemesis system is also a bit shonky, with someone suddenly becoming a rival when you brush their car, whilst at other times you completely crash into them and they’re not bothered. Anyhow it’s a good game, that would have benefitted from a little more polish and a bit more content. However, I don’t think it’s as good as the latest Forza Motorsport.

• Upvote 1

Resi 4 (Switch)

there isn’t an ounce of fat on this game. It’s as if the designers finished it, then spent months trimming every unnecessary section, area or feature. 

And what you’re left with is what is still the best action/adventure game ever made. 

it took about 45 mins to get used to the controls. Once your brain accepts that this isn’t a dual-stick control scheme you’re up and running. 

Saying that, I’ll give it 9.8/10 because it’s be even better with modern controls & moving while firing.*

*so long as game + enemies were tweaked to benefit from this. 

• Upvote 4

Ori and the Will of the Wisps - I'm not a huge fan of the sentimentality of this series, which seems really at odds with it's masocore designs. This one smooths the edges off the original, but is ultimately just that game again, I still think Tropical Freeze is the platforming king.

Wave Race 64 - I really enjoyed that GP Riptide game which is oddly high on the Game Pass Most Played list considering it's an XBLA game from 2012, and then I played Hydro Thunder which was just a less refined version, and figured they were probably both just copying Nintendo's series. It turns out I enjoy this genre, and it's spent so long in the downloadable game ghetto that I think Nintendo could manage a new AAA one.

Spoiler

Slay the Spire

Crackdown 3

God of War (2005) 

Resident Evil 2 RE

Grandia 2 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Ori and the Will of the Wisps - I'm not a huge fan of the sentimentality of this series, which seems really at odds with it's masocore designs. This one smooths the edges off the original, but is ultimately just that game again, I still think Tropical Freeze is the platforming king.

Wave Race 64 - I really enjoyed that GP Riptide game which is oddly high on the Game Pass Most Played list considering it's an XBLA game from 2012, and then I played Hydro Thunder which was just a less refined version, and figured they were probably both just copying Nintendo's series. It turns out I enjoy this genre, and it's spent so long in the downloadable game ghetto that I think Nintendo could manage a new AAA one.

Reveal hidden contents

Slay the Spire

Crackdown 3

God of War (2005) 

Resident Evil 2 RE

Grandia 2 

I thought that Riptide game was originally a mobile phone game?

Spoiler

1. Pokémon Sword – Completed Pokédex (Switch)

Giving myself a point for this as a 'second' completion. After finishing the main story, I went and completed my Pokédex. Don't think I've ever managed that in a Pokémon game before.

2. What the Golf?! (Apple Arcade)

Getting time to do anything has been tricky, and getting time away from Pokémon Sword & Shield has been even trickier. This is a bloody brilliant and supremely daft game, based on golf. Sort of. I won't ruin any of the jokes, but there are a lot of them and they're all genuinely funny. Had this on 99% for ages, but finally tracked down that last secret and got 100%.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019) (Switch)

As I  mentioned in the thread, this is an excellent example of game design which hasn't aged at all in 27 years. The graphics and audio are wonderful, the map and dungeons are just tricky enough to have you scratching your head, there are some really fun boss battles and lots of secrets to discover — I've yet to find 27 seashells. I've only scratched the surface of the dungeon designer, but that is also brilliantly executed. I really hope they remaster the Oracle games in this style also. 
Can't wait to buy the re-remaster in 2046/10

4. Pokémon Ultra Sun (3DS)

Sweet Jesus, this game has a lot of bloat, which is a shame as it's otherwise really good. Finished the main story in around 35 hours, with another 10 faffing around in Wonder Trades, Festival Plaza and the pointless Poké Pelago. Now I'm in the endgame, it's a lot more fun and I'm looking forward to getting some Ultra Beasts and Legendaries across to Bannk/Home/Sword & Shield.
Long, but worth the investmentl/10

• Upvote 1

On 21/02/2020 at 11:25, FiveFootNinja said:

1. Jedi: Fallen Order (XB1) - 10/10

2. Untitled Goose Game (XB1) - 8/10

3. Gorogoa (iPad) - 9/10

4. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (XB1) - 8/10

5. Abzû (PS4) - 6/10

6. Braid (XB1/360) - 10/10

7. A Plague Tale: Innocence (XB1) - 8/10

8. Quantum Break (XB1) - I did like portions of the action, especially with the abilities in full flow (felt like decent Remedy action) and the story was okay. However ultimately I found it got a little repetitive combat wise and by the end was sort of wishing it to end. The 'TV series' bits are bobbins to. I certainly hope Control is better. - 6/10

• Upvote 2

5. Persona Q2 - 3DS

Just finished this after clocking in 96 hours, and loved most of it. I did have some gripes though. The dungeons weren't as imaginative as the first game, they had some nice gimmicks but not a patch on the crazy stuff in the original. Plus we got no english dub for this, which I understand from a financial perspective, but it made it feel a bit weird. Its a quirk of mine that I always play games with the japanese voices but the Persona series is an exception as I like the western voice work. 

Taking the game on its own though, its a brilliant mash up of Persona 3, Portable, 4, 5 and Etrian Odyssey. Dungeon crawling and having to map as you go works really well on the 3DS, the tools you are given for mapping make it a pleasure to fill out the various floors as you go. All the characters from the older games are here and you can form your team of 5 with any of them.  As they all cover so many different role types its pretty easy to create a team of favourite characters and make it viable. Plus there are a lot of items that let you level an underused character to the same level as your highest character, so it's pretty easy to chop and change as you go. Even when you have your team of 5 in a dungeon, its as though everyone is there for the conversations and cut scenes, so no characters get left out. Add in that you can complete objectives that unlock Unison attacks which are groups attacks that are triggered in battle that bring together some fun combinations of characters (the Beauty Club being a favourite) and you don't feel you are restricted by who you have in your main party. 

The new music is great as always, and the option to grab all battle themes from previous games as dlc and set them to randomly play is a nice addition. To top it off, the story is pretty great too, and while it's not as bleak as P3 or PQ, it still packs an emotional punch. The final boss battle took me about an hour but had a brilliant payoff as well. I got this on release last march and have played it a few hours at a time each weekend, its been a great game to pick up, advance a bit, and not worry about being lost when you pick it back up. I also wanted to keep it going until the release of Persona 5 Royal, and mission accomplished! In short, great game!

Previously

Spoiler

1. Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet

2. Resident Evil 2 Remake

3. Donut County

4. Assemble With Care

• Upvote 3

On 10/03/2020 at 22:26, strawdonkey said:

01: Shovel Knight

02: Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment

03: Racedierun

04: Super Mario Maker 2

05: Muv-Luv Extra

06. Untitled Goose Game

07. Glass Masquerade

08. Pokémon Sword

09. OneShot

10. Gorogoa

11. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

12. Hylics

13. LiEat

14. Sonic Robo Blast 2

I remember playing this a long time ago - it's a fan-made Sonic game in the Doom engine. If that wasn't crazy enough already, it's been worked on for over 20 years at this point and updates are still being made, with the last one being toward the end of 2019.

There's a lot to like about this game - it feels really fast, some of the zone design is wonderful (Castle Eggman being a particular highlight) and there is clearly a huge amount of love for the source material that goes into it. On the other hand, it has been designed by absolute masochists and is exceptionally frustrating and difficult in places as a result.

You can have an invincibility pickup, but still run out of air. You can fall through the gap between a fan that you need to blow you upwards, and the casing, resulting in you falling into a bottomless pit. Some springs will overshoot you if you carry any momentum into them, or hold forward at all; others require input to make it to the right place. Other things that catapult you around may or may not require input to either get you to the right place, or avoid falling to your death. When you lose rings from touching lava, the rings fall into the lava, never to be seen again. The game is full of instant death pits. There's a mine cart section with lots of sharp corners, but if you derail then you die instantly.

It's just full of really antagonistic design. There's moving obstacles that you have to spin dash through as you will be crushed if you try to run through them. On the other side, a pit of spikes which you will definitely fall into the first time you make it through. The desert zone is littered with cacti, which will cause the loss of your rings if you touch them. The penultimate boss is in a small arena with electrified walls. You have to try and hit him without falling out of the map; if you touch the electrified wall, chances are Sonic will throw all his rings off the edge of the level.

The special stages involve you turning into Super Sonic and are basically a version of NiGHTS into Dreams, which is a bit unpolished but loads of fun. With a little bit of practice you could rack up absurd chains and it's a real highlight of the game.

The one thing I genuinely struggled with was the skill ceiling - there are platforming challenges in this that are rendered very tricky by the combination of speed, acceleration and perspective in the game. You get used to it somewhat but even at the end of the game I found myself skidding off platforms on a regular basis, and some of the platforming challenges made me very glad I'd brought Tails along for the ride so he could give me a lift over the top of yet another set of instant death pits.

After you complete the game there's a few challenge levels. One of them started off really well - it's a floating garden, but to add to the hateful design it's full of fucking wasps:

srb2.thumb.png.9f88bfefb207f805c532a7db56565215.png

We've seen the highs of fans getting involved with Sonic in Sonic Mania. This has some great ideas but it's too frustrating to be much more than a fun curio at the moment, but I'm really glad I stuck through it as it's been unfinished business for about eight years at this point.

Watch someone making me look like someone who moans a lot and is shit at games here:

(I haven't watched all of this video but the time is not to be sniffed at, it took me about 6.5 hours to finish!)

• Upvote 6

I finished Dead Cells. Well I beat the end boss but probably have a ton of other levels, bosses and endings to encounter. I think?

I've also just decided to give up on Nioh. I have pored hours and hours into it so thought I must be close to the finish, had a quick glance at a walk through and discovered I was barely halfway in. My own fault, I can't bring myself to skip the sub missions and Twilight things, to the detriment of just sticking with the main story missions it seems.

• Upvote 1

5. Murder by Numbers

Visual novel a la Phoenix Wright meets Picross, where each piece of evidence you find triggers a number puzzle that you have to solve before continuing. It's light and fun with some great cheesy music, which keeps the whole thing bouncing along. Outside the puzzles, you don't have to do a lot to solve cases, but the characters and dialogue are enjoyable in themselves. The mash up of styles kind of makes sense, but it's not exactly a smooth blend - early on I thought the story got in the way of the puzzles, towards the end the puzzles got in the way of the story. In the end it's a nice feelgood game (despite, you know, all the murders) and it's always easy to get absorbed in another Picross grid.

• Upvote 1

Three in quick succession, mainly because the last two were welcomingly short!

Xbox One - Assassin's Creed Unity

Christ, coming to this after Black Flag, which kind of felt like AC lite and as much as I enjoyed it wished it felt a bit more Assassin's Creed, was a massive chore. Ubisoft at it's worst, making as usual a wonderfully realised area - which is what kept me with it - but loading it with shit and, bafflingly, removing any bits that might have been useful from prior games but would have fit perfectly (hiring thugs, or prostitutes to hide you). The narrative made even less sense than usual and ultimately it was a pretty linear path from start to end. Still, it was only like 95p or something. 

Xbox One - Titanfall 2

Almost jumped into AC Origins, went for this. Owned it for years, the starter level always worried me I'd need to be better than I was so never ventured beyond. Turned out to be one of the best games I've ever played, utterly brilliant, unlike the above a continually enjoyable videogame being exactly that in the best way possible. Effect and Cause was an incredible highlight. Looked absolutely stunning throughout to boot. 

Xbox One - Pikuniku

What is this? Like a whimsical cross between Dizzy and Yoku's Island Express, but without the pinball or something, and some good, silly writing. A bit slight, and despite finishing it I don't know if I've actually finished it despite carrying on and doing everything I could see that was possible to do I'd only filled up 2/3 of the hat inventory. But I think I saw the lot, maybe the rest is locked in co-op or something. Which consists of my daughter booting me around the level and being unco-operative until it descends into a meltdown and we switch it off. Good stuff, I think. 

• Upvote 5

Untitled Goose Game

Played this on Game Pass, entirely with my kids. It's been great fun working out how to do stuff, not least because some of their ridiculous suggestions have worked. A really lovely, enjoyable experience.

Honk!

• Upvote 4

6. Nioh 2

I liked the original Nioh, but I didn't love it. And while the sequel has some of the same issues, it builds on the foundations in really impressive ways to create something superior. The issues are that it's too bloody big, with a bloat of systems and a ton of useless loot that has to be sold or dismantled for materials between missions. If they'd made some of the missions shorter, or got rid of a few altogether and trimmed the rest of it down a bit, I would've been even happier. It's not like any level is especially weak, just that there's only so many times you can kill the same enemy or come across a door that's locked from the other side.

But other than that, it's marvellous. It's still Dark Souls meets Ninja Gaiden, but the combat is even closer to a pure action game, without losing any of the depth of the RPG systems. The new additions, like burst counters and Yokai soul powers add another layer of risk reward, and the ki system is used even more effectively to shift the balance of battles. You're always vulnerable and can be killed by anything pretty quickly, but even the biggest threats have weaknesses or can wear out their ki, giving you a chance to hit them for big damage. There are also so many ways to approach battles with all the weapon types, stances, parries, Yokai powers, items, guardian spirits, ninjutsu and magic buffs. It's one of those games where it's really rewarding to work out effective strategies against each different type of foe and exploit them maximally. The level design helps here too, with multiple paths through stages that mean you often don't have to run head first into difficult situations.

And the bosses. The bosses are the best bosses in any such game, including full action games like Ninja Gaiden and DMC. The way they shift between phases, forcing you to change strategies on the fly is excellent, and they're often just tough and unpredictable enough, without dragging on too long. Whether I beat them first time or spent an hour or so figuring them out, every victory was thrilling.

So yeah, one of the best action fighting games, wrapped up in massive RPG depth, with amazing combat and bosses. Just keep it a little shorter next time.

• Upvote 4

16/04 - Animal Crossing New Horizons (Switch) - Obviously not actually finished, because Animal Crossing is eternal. GOTY.

29/03 - Outer Wilds (XB1X) - An actual masterpiece. Don't read anything, just play it.

20/03 - Panzer Dragoon (Saturn) - Well I didn't waste any time getting a few runs of this done. It's still great. Onwards to Zwei.

20/03 - Panzer Dragoon Orta (XB1X) - I was absolutely overjoyed to find this hidden away on Game Pass, as I've wanted to play it for almost twenty years now. It didn't disappoint at all. Looks absolutely blinding on the One X as well, and proves that games of that generation can really shine with a bit of polish in the right places. Need to get around to playing through all the extra scenarios at some point, but I also want to re-play the Saturn games before the remake is out.

Previous:

Spoiler

16/04 - Animal Crossing New Horizons (Switch) - Obviously not actually finished, because Animal Crossing is eternal.

20/03 - Panzer Dragoon (Saturn) - Well I didn't waste any time getting a few runs of this done. It's still great. Onwards to Zwei.

20/03 - Panzer Dragoon Orta (XB1X) - I was absolutely overjoyed to find this hidden away on Game Pass, as I've wanted to play it for almost twenty years now. It didn't disappoint at all. Looks absolutely blinding on the One X as well, and proves that games of that generation can really shine with a bit of polish in the right places. Need to get around to playing through all the extra scenarios at some point, but I also want to re-play the Saturn games before the remake is out.

16/03 - A Short Hike (PC) - 

16/03 - Art Sqool (PC) - Vaporwave Passpartout: The Starving Artist. Nowt special but a light distraction for an hour.

15/03 - Gears of War 4 (XB1X) - It's more Gears. I does nothing to evolve the series but it does avoid the complete overkill of throwing seven million monsters at you that plagued Gears 3, and is probably the best straightforward campaign since the first game.

20/02 - Guardian Heroes (360)

20/02 - NiGHTS into Dreams (360)

18/02 - Snake Pass (XB1X) - I'd been turned off this around the time of release by people suggesting it was an exercise in frustration, but as it's about to leave Game Pass I thought I'd give it a whirl, and I'm glad I did. For one, it's a lovely looking thing in those vivid Viva Pinata colours, but in the slithering and coiling of Noodle it does that rare thing of feeling like nothing else. They nailed it to the extent that I'm not all that disappointed it doesn't look like getting a sequel. Sumo done good (again).

14/02 - Blazing Chrome (XB1X) - This is so faithful to the Contra of old that it's difficult to find fault with it and not feel I'm being unfair in some way. It's just that while it's great fun, immaculately presented and knows exactly what it needs to be, it lacks a certain spark of innovation that gave the OG titles their edge. There were few moments of genuine surprise, unfortunately.

12/02 - Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch) - One of the best Switch games of the last year, and almost certainly one of the best Western-developed games Nintendo have ever published. NLG have absolutely mastered the character of Luigi, and this is the strongest game in the series by some margin. I think there's room for improvement in terms of collectibles, and finding better use for all that money you hoover up, but this is vindication for Nintendo's continued support of these guys. 

11/02 - Demon's Tilt (XB1X) - The old Naxat Soft games are pretty much the only pinball games I've ever got into, so I was somewhat sceptical about this having the same allure, but I think they've nailed it by dialing up the occult intensity to ridiculous levels. It's aesthetically pitch-perfect, really, but more importantly plays a mean, addictive game of pinball. I'm still shit at it, mind.

11/02 - Metro Exodus (XB1X) - Much as the characters in the game struggle with life outside the metro, as do the developers in many ways. This strikes an odd balance of scripted sequences, mid-sized open-worlds and wide-linear-corridors to various degrees of success, but the atmosphere and attention to detail remains. 4A really need to work on their voice-work, though, or just make better accessibility options available for those who want to keep the original Russian dialogue. 

07/02 - Ori and the Blind Forest (XB1X) - Really enjoyed this. It wasn't as difficult as I'd been lead to believe, and was lighter on the Metroidvania side than I'd imagined, but I'm all for different takes on the genre. Appreciated the brisk pacing, as I pretty much ran through this in about two sittings. Bring on the sequel.

10/02 - Sea of Thieves (XB1X) - A combo of network issues and time means I'm putting this aside, and I suppose the GaaS things are never finished anyway, but I enjoyed my time with this, sailing the highseas with random Australians. Found everything on the ocean captivating and full of adventure, but everything on land very tedious and pedestrian. 

07/02 - Ori and the Blind Forest (XB1X) - Really enjoyed this. It wasn't as difficult as I'd been lead to believe, and was lighter on the Metroidvania side than I'd imagined, but I'm all for different takes on the genre. Appreciated the brisk pacing, as I pretty much ran through this in about two sittings. Bring on the sequel.

05/02 - Shadow of the Tomb Raider (XB1X) - Selfish, murderous psychopath Lara Croft kills a few hundred civilians in the opening act through her own ignorance, sulks when her friend tells her off and then spends the rest of the game thieving from villagers and patronising actual researchers and archaeologists, having learned nothing.

These are rotten, miserable games that assume the people of these lands are too simple to discover and appreciate the wonders surrounding them without Lara there to explain everything. I honestly wanted the villain to win, which I'm sure some more generous folk might interpret as a deliberate move on the part of the writers, but I'm not buying it. 

I suppose the tombs are fine, though.

03/02 - The Outer Worlds (XB1X) - I went into this wanting to play as a mostly pacifist, sarcastic space arsehole. That the game accommodated this throughout the  play-through is massively to its credit. Visually it's wildly inconsistent (some of the interiors look fantastic - outside, less so) and there's not much to be gained from exploration, but the flexibility of so many of the quests drew me in, after Fallout 4 proved to be such a huge disappointment.

29/01 - A Plague Tale (XB1X) - Essentially The Last of Us with rats, as you stealthily escort someone through a bleak environment occasional engage in some brutal stoning. Even shares some of the same story beats. It's well executed, though. The soundtrack is of particular note, with it's scraping, scratching strings and rough percussion, and it's one of the prettiest games I can recall playing. The rudimentary combat doesn't really support the greater emphasis on combat in the final hour or so, and it became a little frustrating there, but it's amazing to me that this comes from the studio behind  a bunch of licensed games and Fuel (which I fucking loathed).

24/01 - Sunset Overdrive (XB1X) - Enjoyed this about as much as Spider-Man, which surprised me. The humour is, well, a bit zaaaaany, which usually puts me off, but it has its heart in the right place and the core grindin', bouncin' and shootin' is really satisfying. Some tasty boss-battles in there, too.

24/01 - Lonely Mountains - Downhill (XB1X) - A nice little game, this. They got the feeling of slinging the bike around corners just right, and avoided the temptation to fill the later levels with novelty shite as a way to add variety. It's a neatly pure experience.

19/01 - Afterparty (XB1X) - A disappointment after Oxenfree. The same neat little dialogue system is there, and the voice acting is great, but the central characters are unappealing, the game itself is riddled with bugs and there's some rough stuttering between areas. Mostly it just lacked the compelling mystery of Oxenfree, though, and I was bored long before the end.

14/01 - Untitled Goose Game (XB1X) - It's slight, but my daughter laughed like a loon throughout the whole thing, so it's a winner in my book.

Ongoing:

Persona 5 (PS4), Forza Horizon 4 (XB1X)

• Upvote 5

1. Resident Evil 7(XB1) 8/10

2. Batman Arkham Asylum(XB1) 7.5/10

3. Halo: CE Anniversary(XB1) 5/10

4. Life is Strange(XB1) 8/10

5. Luigi Mansion 3(Switch) 8/10

6. New Super Lucky’s Tale(Switch) 7/10

7. Catherine: Full Body(PS4) 8.5/10

8. Untitled Goose Game(Switch) 6/10   

9. Sleeping Dogs(PS4) 9/10

10. Doom 2016(PS4) 9/10

11. Peggle 2(PS4) 7/10

12. Spider-Man(PS4) - My first platinum of the year and I loved every minute of it. I enjoyed everything from the story(enjoy all things superhero) to the gameplay and I didn’t find finishing off all the side tasks to much of a grind. I’ll make sure I go back and play the DLC at some point later in year and if I haven’t brought a PS5 by the time the sequel gets released I will definitely getting one when it does. 9/10

• Upvote 2

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (PC):

Finished on normal, no Ironman mode (thankfully, because otherwise I would have lost on the final mission thanks to an auto-fail state I didn't even know about...).

The 2012 reboot that didn't just revive the franchise but turned it in to an AAA contender and revived an entire tactics sub genre at the same time. It's crazy to think that prior to this the name XCOM was bolted to a lack luster third person shooter which had most of it's interesting ideas excised before launch.

Playing it through again 8 years on (I never finished it the first time) and all the problems of the original release are still apparent. The weirdly inconsistent levels of polish. The disconnect between the dice rolls behind the scenes and the physical presentation of the game world (shots frequently going through walls being the obvious issue). The illusion of choice at the start of the game when in reality anything you do that isn't building satellites will either set you back or doom you from the start. All the day one bugs that remain unfixed to this day.

But none of the technical issues matter that much. The game nails the experience of playing Julian Gollops 1994 original. The sense of being hopelessly outgunned at the start. The creeping dread of watching countries teeter on the edge of succumbing to the aliens. The tension at the start of each mission, the calculated gambling with the lives of your soldiers, the heart-stopping moments when you come under fire or are out manoeuvred. And it squeezes all this in to a pacey, streamlined experience, where each simplified system or cut feature serves a barrelling sense of momentum pushing you from mission to planning to mission to planning, never keeping you away from either half for too long.

I wouldn't say this was better than the original, because there's a lot of storytelling that can come to life in the granularity and quirks of the original which remains a far wider game in terms of possibility and scope. But 2012 XCOM does manage the grand feat of being more compulsive thanks to that tight gameplay loop and shorter missions.

Easily one of the best games I've played in recent years and I'm glad I finally got round to going back to it.

Indivisible (Xbox One):

It has the production values of a lavish modern HD 2D game but it has the soul (and ultimately the design flaws) of a quirky PS1+2 era action RPG. The animation and character art is beautiful. The story is well told with some clever not-quite-a-twist inversions, the voice acting is knowingly cheesy and carries itself through sheer enthusiasm. It's an amazing game to look at...

But the combat is perfunctory at best. You can string together moves and experiment with how all the characters on your team interact and play with the damages scaling systems to your hearts content, but most enemies don't put up a fight and on the run to the final boss you can obliterate most of them without them ever getting more than a single attack out. It does look fantastic and juggling enemies is fun, and some neat moments in boss fights where you switch between platforming and RPG combat, but it's ultimately hollow.

The platforming is the best side of the game - there's some clever traversal puzzles and occasionally challenging moments - but there's also no sense of pacing or escalation. Aside from the run to the final boss which has some enjoyably fiendish moments, once you're out of the starting area the platforming difficulty plateaus. And there's way too much redundancy in the move set. You end up with two different mid air dashes with slightly different properties, that you activate with two different buttons, but also one of the buttons does a bunch of other context sensitive moves, including a downward plummet attack which can come out at the most inopportune moments. There are two different slides on two different buttons but one of which is completely redundant after you get the second one...

The Metroidvania structure is badly handled too, forcing you down long, looping pathways and chains of rooms on your first run through an area but then never really giving you the shortcuts you'd expect when you return, tooled up. This completely flat lines the pacing at times whenever you want to return somewhere, try something out or tease at the edges to see if you can sequence break or find secrets.

It's an immaculately presented mess, I did have some fun with it, but I also fell asleep playing it a couple of times as well...

2020 so far:

Spoiler

January:

Jedi Fallen Order (Xbox One)

Untitled Goose Game (Xbox One)

February:

Innocence: A Plague Tale (Xbox One)

Outer Worlds (Xbox One)

Empire of Steel (Megadrive)

March:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (PC)

Indivisible (Xbox One)

• Upvote 5

On 16/03/2020 at 14:14, FiveFootNinja said:

1. Jedi: Fallen Order (XB1) - 10/10

2. Untitled Goose Game (XB1) - 8/10

3. Gorogoa (iPad) - 9/10

4. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (XB1) - 8/10

5. Abzû (PS4) - 6/10

6. Braid (XB1/360) - 10/10

7. A Plague Tale: Innocence (XB1) - 8/10

8. Quantum Break (XB1) - 6/10

9. Oxenfree (Mac OS) - Slow starter for me (in fact this was my third attempt on a third different platform!), however once I got into the swing of it I actually enjoyed it more than I initially expected. Voice acting/dialogue is really fluid and the story was enigmatic enough to get the brain whirring with some nice little mechanics. It looks refreshingly different too. - 7/10

• Upvote 1

Sonic Robo Blast 2 - On the whole I thought this was pretty impressive considering it's a Doom mod. It shows that large explorable classic style levels with multiple routes in 3D can work, and shows up Sonic Teams' slow devolution into "on rails paths in the sky" - I know deriding developers is for the uninformed, but they have one game they make, they're the only developer who's ever made it, and somehow they're still really bad at it and everyone else is better.

Level themes and music are all on point and feature fun imaginative mechanics and setpieces, boss fights are inventive, and feel fairer than Sonic Mania, but enemies tend to be a bit on the annoying side.

The only problem is when you have to combine speed with precision platforming, a late-game race must have taken me nearly 150 attempts, despite only being 90 seconds long, simply because jumping over three equally spaced platforms when you have a rapid acceleration curve is ridiculously hard.

The rest of the game had level design that alternated between speed and slower paced platforming, and it worked well, so this is really an inherent problem to Sonic that you just need to design around to avoid.

Spoiler

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Wave Race 64

Slay the Spire

Crackdown 3

God of War (2005) 

Resident Evil 2 RE

Grandia 2 

• Upvote 2

1. Metro Exodus

2. QUBE 2

3. Darksiders 3

4. What Remains of Edith Finch

5. Ori and the Will of the Wisps

I really did not like Ori and the Blind Forest when that came out. I thought it was overly soppy and cutesie, the platforming felt off and the trial and error sections felt very cheap. I thought it was massively overrated. But I really liked this. Everything feels much more streamlined, the combat is far, far tighter and the platforming feels great. Glad I played it.

6. Doom Eternal

This is a really odd one. It's so thematically and tonally different to the first game that it feels very odd at first, but once you settle into it, the combat is a lot of fun and I think the first person platforming is pretty great, too. The story is bobbins and a lot of it doesn't feel very Doom at all, but it's a very good game despite all this. I just find myself baffled by why they messed so much with the winning formula they had for Doom 2016.

• Upvote 2

Previously...

Hide contents

AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake) - PC - 2016 (1991)
Ecco The Dolphin - Mega CD - 1992/3
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - 3DS - 2012/14
Mega Man X - SNES - 1993
Super Metroid - SNES - 1994
Donkey Kong Country - SNES - 1994
Chrono Trigger - SNES - 1995

Star Fox 2 - SNES - 2017 (1995)

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - SNES - 1995

Xenogears - PS1 - 1998

Finished it once, 64 hours. Will never play it again.

God, this has been a slog to get through. But it's one of those games that I heard about at the time and never got around to playing it - and once you've put 20, 30, 40 hours into it, you kinda have to see it through. If for no other reason than to see how batshit insane it can get.

This is the work of an auteur, no doubt. A frustrated writer/director with a passion for telling epic stories of religion and robots and using the JRPG genre as his canvas. The trouble is, as impressive as some of its ideas and sequences are, its storytelling is absolutely atrocious. It's all over the place, introducing far too many characters and subplots than it can deal with. Its big twists come at all the wrong times and get immediately subverted, so by the time you've wrapped your head around what's just happened, it turns out it was something else anyway. There's a distinct lack of exposition so the mystery of what's going on for the first forty hours or so is dragged out, and then by the end everything is explained so clumsily, so laboured and with so many interchangable 'Proper Nouns' in an attempt to sound important and meaningul, that it ends up meaning nothing. It's almost a blessing that the second disc had to be wrapped up so quickly due to time/budget constraints, the amount of story content that gets dumped on you would have been enough to fill another fifty hours, and that's a level of tedium even I wouldn't tolerate.

There's some impressive graphics for the little PS1, and some excellent music. But overall? An absolute load of tedious gibberish with barely average gameplay attached. Save your time and don't bother.

• Upvote 5

Recently finished Pikuniku on the Switch and enjoyed it. Typical platform puzzler with a dash of physics. Reminded me a bit of Loco Roco on the PSP so if you liked that might be worth a look. It's short at around 3-5 hours so doesn't outstay it's welcome. Also has a co-op mode that I've not explored yet.

• Upvote 1