Axiom Verge 2 - Delayed till 2021

mdn2

So a sequel to one of the best Metroidvanias in recent years (it's great, but no Hollow Knight IMO) got announced on Nintendo's Indie World Direct. So far only Switch announced, but given the first game came out on everything, it's hard to think this won't as well. 

:omg:

I completed the first one and enjoyed it to an extent but did feel that it was a bit overrated. The music was definitely the best thing about it:

This looks a bit more slick than the first game, however, and not as arbitrarily 'retro', so consider my interest piqued.

Is the entire thing being done by just one bloke again or has he got some help now?

I like the way they've shifted the look of the game from faux 8-bit to faux 16-bit, but in quite a nice, understated way. I like it when games use retro visuals as one element of a whole aesthetic, rather than just to say "bodacious! It's totally the nineties to the max!" and then ride off on one of those skateboards with big panel wings on the side.

image.thumb.png.87481e150c8f040d6e1266e24f9e4f9b.png

36 minutes ago, K said:

I like the way they've shifted the look of the game from faux 8-bit to faux 16-bit, but in quite a nice, understated way. I like it when games use retro visuals as one element of a whole aesthetic, rather than just to say "bodacious! It's totally the nineties to the max!" and then ride off on one of those skateboards with big panel wings on the side.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I still can't believe this is getting a sequel. The original was so unbelievably strange and characterful. And once again I will be playing it on a panoramic handheld! That a time to be alive.

• 1 month later...

Thomas Happ has provided an update on the game with a new blog post, will be delayed until Q3 of this year:

'I could go into a long spiel about why it’s taking longer than I originally forecast, but I don’t want to get too bogged down into technical details. Suffice it to say that the game will be better for the additional time, and I won’t have to burn myself out crunching to hit a date that I set for myself.'

He has also put the documentary of the 'Making of' the first game up for free on Steam and it is also on YouTube now to watch:

• 3 weeks later...

There was a few minutes' presentation of it in Day of the Devs just now; it'll probably pop up on its own sooner rather than later, or you could just rewind to around 2 hours 15 from the start here [25 minutes back from current time, as I post this].

(Really I'd recommend watching what's on right now though, as Vokabulantis — the Neverhood-inspired stop-motion video game being shown off  — looks great)