rllmuk
Liamness

Half-Life: Alyx

13 hours ago, Moz said:

The lad who did the guide I posted earlier has a video showing off VD with the new beta - it really is practically flawless. I strongly encourage you to try it and play the game with full 3D untethered locomotion. I'm actually playing in my bedroom two rooms away from my desktop PC over an Orbi access point and it's effectively flawless - the hands are maybe ever so slightly less smooth but they're not jumpy or jittery. I think we're more or less at the point where wireless VR has been solved - surely the next gen headsets will utilise it (maybe with a dedicated access point rather than relying on your router)?

ok sold!! so gonna have to try this!! 

Same here!

Hey so for someone who can't really handle horror and horror games, those sections in Chapter 3 were so intense that I was almost sick.

Felt absolutely wrecked afterwards, but what a game.

WHAT A GAME.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Moz said:

The lad who did the guide I posted earlier has a video showing off VD with the new beta - it really is practically flawless. I strongly encourage you to try it and play the game with full 3D untethered locomotion. I'm actually playing in my bedroom two rooms away from my desktop PC over an Orbi access point and it's effectively flawless - the hands are maybe ever so slightly less smooth but they're not jumpy or jittery. I think we're more or less at the point where wireless VR has been solved - surely the next gen headsets will utilise it (maybe with a dedicated access point rather than relying on your router)?

I got this running last night and whilst it did work well, it did seem to be slightly less smooth, enough to make me want to switch back to cabled. When I went back to my laptop though it was running some Dell system scan, so I don't know if that was something to do with it. Will try again today maybe if I get the time, as it is much better untethered in terms of using roomscale and not standing on/getting tangled up in the cable. It's also much easier to get into the game from the launcher rather than having to go to Oculus PC home, then open steam home, then open the game, and re-centre works as per usual Quest games! It's what link should be to be honest.

Just got the first proper encounters with the combine, combat feels extremely natural, hiding behind things and leaning out to shoot! I'm still rubbish with the pistol though, it's all about the twist of your hand to get the dot lined up. I guess thats probably realistic mind you, just takes a while to get used to.

Not really a spoiler but discussion on a certain section of the game:

Spoiler

The bit with the barnacle underground section with all the explosive barrels was really annoying using blink locomotion. Kept getting caught on them even when choosing a seemingly clear path through. Had to switch to continuous for that section.

9 hours ago, iwan_canobi said:

it was running some Dell system scan

If that's a Dell support assistant scan then yes that would certainly cause issues with both the game and WIFI, I have it on my Alienware laptop and it's runs the gamut through the machine, hard drive scan, WIFI checks etc. I wouldn't be judging the performance whilst that was running, it's a bit of a hog.

That reminds me, will have to download and check how Alyx plays on my laptop. It plays Asgard's wrath well so should be good. I've used it with the Quest in the past as a mobile VR demo station to blow (brag) my tech illiterate siblings minds.

Alyx would probably be a bit much for them mind.

Small update out for Alyx btw. It adds continuous turning!

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, murray said:

Small update out for Alyx btw. It adds continuous turning!

Yay! :D

It is a tiny bit less smooth on wireless - the tracking refresh rate on the hands seems to be slightly lower so they don't move quite as fluidly. But they're still accurate enough to use the ironsights on the guns, draw on the windows and so on. YMMV based on all sorts of things but most notably the connection between your PC and your Quest.

The beta software is a massive improvement over the version linked in that video though. You need to run the beta version in Windows AND sideload the beta APK into the Quest using sidequest "install APK from folder". 

https://github.com/guygodin/VirtualDesktop/releases

4 hours ago, murray said:

Same here!

Hey so for someone who can't really handle horror and horror games, those sections in Chapter 3 were so intense that I was almost sick.

Felt absolutely wrecked afterwards, but what a game.

WHAT A GAME.

Yep. I feel like there's not much you can do when you get cornered by something either. Could do with a melee or push of some description. I tried carrying a broom around but it didn't achieve much :D

Played it for 20-30 mins during my break. Graphics look amazing, probably best in any VR game i've played.

Turned off teleportion for a bit but feel very sick now.

I couldn't get across a jump?

after you escape the van, you follow robot thing around and then is a wall you need to get over. Thought i could grab the pipes to move along but no, neither jumping...

FFS, haven't touched my Vive in like a year, dusted it off and bought HL: Alyx... I hate myself <_<

I want to play it seated, is there a duck button?

5 minutes ago, Max Damage said:

FFS, haven't touched my Vive in like a year, dusted it off and bought HL: Alyx... I hate myself <_<

dont think there is a duck or jump button. I played it seated seems ok so far..

1 minute ago, Darhkwing said:

dont think there is a duck or jump button. I played it seated seems ok so far..

So how do you reach down to pick things up if standing up in-game but seated in real life?

11 minutes ago, Max Damage said:

So how do you reach down to pick things up if standing up in-game but seated in real life?

Seemed okay to me, i could still reach down to pick things up. Mind, i only have played for half hour so far.

Just now, Darhkwing said:

Seemed okay to me, i could still reach down to pick things up. Mind, i only have played for half hour so far.

Cool thanks, I'll find out once it's done downloading - surprisingly fast considering everyone is stuck at home streaming stuff.

4 hours ago, amc said:

If that's a Dell support assistant scan then yes that would certainly cause issues with both the game and WIFI, I have it on my Alienware laptop and it's runs the gamut through the machine, hard drive scan, WIFI checks etc. I wouldn't be judging the performance whilst that was running, it's a bit of a hog.

That's the fella! You'd think it would look at the resource usage before running and think 'hmm, maybe the user is doing something he doesn't want interrupted just now'... 

2 hours ago, Moz said:

It is a tiny bit less smooth on wireless - the tracking refresh rate on the hands seems to be slightly lower so they don't move quite as fluidly. But they're still accurate enough to use the ironsights on the guns, draw on the windows and so on. YMMV based on all sorts of things but most notably the connection between your PC and your Quest.

The beta software is a massive improvement over the version linked in that video though. You need to run the beta version in Windows AND sideload the beta APK into the Quest using sidequest "install APK from folder". 

Yeah I grabbed the beta based on your post (thanks for that BTW), it did work well but it just did seem a bit juddery, but hopefully it was just because of the scan running as above. Will try again tonight hopefully! 

@Max Damage There is an option (confusingly called "STAND" - nice one, Valve) where you can click the left stick to switch between two different heights, it's what I use and it works great. 

Will say though, if you have the space, playing standing is brilliant. I don't, I kept bumping into my sofa and once even hit my TV with the rift controller.  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Max Damage said:

Why do you hate yourself?

49 minutes ago, Thor said:

@Max Damage There is an option (confusingly called "STAND" - nice one, Valve) where you can click the left stick to switch between two different heights, it's what I use and it works great. 

Will say though, if you have the space, playing standing is brilliant. I don't, I kept bumping into my sofa and once even hit my TV with the rift controller.  :ph34r:

I've given the a game a quick go and there is indeed the ability to duck. I have space to stand I'm just lazy and like to sit.

24 minutes ago, Sumire said:

Why do you hate yourself?

I was determined to ignore the game but buckled after watching some vids, ah well it seems bloody good so far.

4 minutes ago, Max Damage said:

I was determined to ignore the game but buckled after watching some vids, ah well it seems bloody good so far.

Seems like it’s a reason to celebrate and finally an excuse to justify the purchase of VR really!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Yeah, the couple of hours I've spent with the game was sitting. Definitely going to play standing up this evening. Oh and you were spot on about Astrobot. It's fucking brilliant.

• Upvote 3

I’ve got admit, I find it hugely impressive that at the beginning of November we were blissfully unaware of this being a thing to five months later being a fully fledged entry in the HL series and seemingly being bloody amazing to boot.

These are things that so rarely happen in gaming, it’s very refreshing.

• Upvote 4

Aw, I was hoping this would be rubbish so I wouldn't have to look on forlornly at everyone playing it on the expensive VR headset I don't have. :(

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

6 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Played it for 20-30 mins during my break. Graphics look amazing, probably best in any VR game i've played.

Turned off teleportion for a bit but feel very sick now.

I couldn't get across a jump?

Hide contents

after you escape the van, you follow robot thing around and then is a wall you need to get over. Thought i could grab the pipes to move along but no, neither jumping...

I had the same problem. It was down to the issue @Moz quite rightly pointed out, that the game doesn't adjust position properly. I had to quit and restart to position myself properly. Proper PITA :(

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Moz said:

Followed the instructions to the letter, but once I got into virtual desktop via the quest - it cant see my headset so won't boot steam vr etc.. Just says steam Vr can't find headset and offers to reset it, same for the oculus software.. any ideas?

Continuous turning actually makes me feel squiffy, I had to switch back to stepped. Not as big a deal as I thought it'd be actually. However, I have found performance a bit off since this update, anyone else?

The game continues to be utterly fucking amazing. I am past Jeff...

Spoiler

He's fucking brilliant!! :wub:

What did everyone do with him in the end? I pressed the green button thinking it was going to let him out. :doh: I reloaded, because I'm not having that. I then carefully moved the lever and let the poor bugger out. :)  I'm hoping that's actually some kind of decision that has implications further in. Like Jeff inadvertently coming to your aid to rip some antlions apart while you run for it! 

Also, ANTLIONS! YAY! :D I wonder if we'll get to control them like in HL2...

31 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Followed the instructions to the letter, but once I got into virtual desktop via the quest - it cant see my headset so won't boot steam vr etc.. Just says steam Vr can't find headset and offers to reset it, same for the oculus software.. any ideas?

I had exactly the same issue. I would love to say I knew how I solved it, but a combination of re-installing the beta streaming service on PC and a few PC restarts ended up sorting it. Have to agree with those above - untethered performance is night and day with this. I couldn't play without the wire yesterday; today it was close to flawless.

Chapter 3 is fucking intense though I have to say. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Continuous turning actually makes me feel squiffy, I had to switch back to stepped. Not as big a deal as I thought it'd be actually. However, I have found performance a bit off since this update, anyone else?

The game continues to be utterly fucking amazing. I am past Jeff...

Hide contents

He's fucking brilliant!! :wub:

What did everyone do with him in the end? I pressed the green button thinking it was going to let him out. :doh: I reloaded, because I'm not having that. I then carefully moved the lever and let the poor bugger out. :)  I'm hoping that's actually some kind of decision that has implications further in. Like Jeff inadvertently coming to your aid to rip some antlions apart while you run for it! 

Also, ANTLIONS! YAY! :D I wonder if we'll get to control them like in HL2...

From the sessions I’ve seen, they are indeed awesome. And really stunningly animated.

Although the same could be said for most of it really. 

1 hour ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I think you need to launch from the 'games' tab in virtual desktop, rather than launching steam vr or oculus home. That's how I did it anyway, the games section had all the games and it just jumped me straight in.

• Upvote 1

Just started again from the beginning having closed some apps down first and fuck me this is absolutely amazing.

Spoiler

Just got past the first few headcrabs and that was the most tense I've felt in a game for decades.

I really didn't want to go into that room.

When the reloading clicked fighting the zombies just before then felt so cool.  Something you can only get in VR.

The world looks so cool, you find yourself just standing and staring at times, it really feels as if you're in City 17.

The locomotion is fantastic too.  Not felt sick once.

Absolutely love this game, I really hope it's the first of many.

• Upvote 3

Just got to the:

Spoiler

Train crash!!! Holy fuck was that impressive. 

And the gunplay is really sublime too. I have never felt this completely immersive in an experience before. And its a shame so few are getting to experience it now. 

Re: Virtual Desktop. I’ll try installing again. Played tethered tonight, but would be great to try this wirelessly and completely unrestricted.