Rate the last film you watched out of 5

25 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Not really relevant to the thread, but my wife and I's first date was we went and saw The Crow. 

And it's an amazing film. Is it on Netflix or Prime?

I ended up buying it on Amazon Video.  I just really wanted to watch it again.

Dead (2020)

Kiwi comedy Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)-ish tale about a recently-murdered cop and a stoner who has a drug that allows him to see dead people teaming up to solve a string of murders. Last 15 minutes of this had a lot of good ideas, with the resolution of the mystery being quite satisfying, it's just a shame the rest was rather meandering, with limp comedy and patchy adherence to the rules of being dead. Likeable lead character, and there was some heart in this, more emotional stuff than I was expecting. Probably a Sunday afternoon watch this.

2.5/5

Pokemon Detective Pikachu (2019)

Tim wanted to be a Pokemon trainer when he was younger, but now he works in insurance. Summoned to Ryme City by news of a fatal accident involving his father, Tim meets an eager young journalist and his dad's partner - Detective Pikachu. And Tim can understand what Pikachu is saying. They team up with the journalist to investigate the truth behind his father's disappearance - and it leads them to a research centre doing experiments on Pokemon. Can they stop the bad guys and find Tim's dad?

I enjoyed this, the Pokemon are brought to life effectively and there are lots of clever moments. While the plot is a little cliched (and I was reminded of Tim Burton's Batman with one particular sequence) it holds together well and has a cracking sense of humour running through it. Ryan Reynolds puts in a great performance as the "voice" of Pikachu, and the end twist is a little hokum but still enjoyable. It's a small thing, but the anime-style credits set the seal for me on a fun family film - and you don't even need to know a lot about Pokemon to enjoy it.

4 out of 5

Don't Look Back (2020)

New film from Final Destination creator Jeffrey Reddick. A group of people who did nothing whilst witnessing a violent attack become the target for someone, or something, seeking revenge. The comparisons to the Final Destination formula are many: group of disparate people brought together by traumatic event? Check. Foreshadowed violent death? Check. Scenes of the group together getting irate? Check. Mind you this felt like a watered-down 12A Final Destination knock-off in that the initial event wasn't that spectacular, there was very little gore, in fact the deaths were unspectacular, the build-up to them lacked tension. It did draw me along, and whilst it wasn't a total shock at the end it wrapped things up nicely. The continuous, irritating soundtrack made it feel like a shit TV movie .A few good jump-scares, an alright mystery, but frankly if you've not watched any of the Final Destination films go and watch those instead.

2/5

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

Surprisingly I enjoyed this slightly more than the first movie. I think it benefits from having a stronger narrative thread (although it is still very loose) and his relationship with his daughter is a highlight and more deeply developed than the one he had with his producer in the original. There are some uproarious moments although I admit it doesn't quite have the shock or bite of the first, but replaces it with more heart.

4/5

Tailgate (2020) Dutch title: Bumperkleef

Super-tense thriller where a guy on the way to visit his parents with his wife and kids pisses off the wrong white-van driver. The menace and tension kept ratcheting up as the van driver's lust for revenge increased. Didn't spare the nastiness with the kids around either. Obvious comparisons to films like Duel, but this had a distinctly European, modern feel. The sunny, summery daytime setting added incongruity to the grim action. If I had one criticism the finale didn't quite live up to the rest of the film ran out of steam a bit, it was still tense. Really watchable thriller.

3.5/5

I Feel Pretty - 3/5

Amy Schumer is pretty good in this as an overweight woman who after a knock on the head believes she is like a super model.  It treads a weird tightrope this but it's well intentioned rubbish.  Feel a bit dirty giving it a 3 but it made me laugh when I wasn't cringing violently.  In my defence, the kids selected this movie...or is that even worse as I've raised them this way?

Inception - 4.5/5

Not nearly as complex or deep as some like to make out. It's just the right amount of head scratchiness, action and intrigue shot beautifully with a cool ambiguous ending.  No point trying to over analyse as it doesn't really stand up to that level of scrutiny.  Weird to see a breakout Ellen Page...totally forgot she was in it.  DiCaprio watchable as ever and a good Tom Hardy before he got annoying. It's still a great watch with Nolan on good form. I'm pleased to say the kids liked this more than 'I Feel Pretty'. Good father status recovered.

The Owners (2020)

Oh this was some messed-up stuff indeed, brilliantly so in parts. It starts off as a home-invasion film with some young reprobates trying to rob an old couple, but without spoiling anything things take a turn for the gleefully nasty and they only get more twisted. Sylvester McCoy is superb as the retired doctor whose house gets invaded. Wish I could say more about his role without giving too much away. Maisie Williams did a good turn too. Honestly couldn't tell where things were heading, plenty of twists. It had some issues, the ending left me feeling a bit 'what?' but generally I thoroughly enjoyed it.

3.5/5

4 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

Surprisingly I enjoyed this slightly more than the first movie. I think it benefits from having a stronger narrative thread (although it is still very loose) and his relationship with his daughter is a highlight and more deeply developed than the one he had with his producer in the original. There are some uproarious moments although I admit it doesn't quite have the shock or bite of the first, but replaces it with more heart.

4/5

I got half an hour or so in and had to give up as it had failed to raise even the hint of a smile let alone an actual laugh.

It is absolutely fucking dreadful in every single way.

1/5

Kajillionaire

The worst film I've ever seen. 

-1000/5

I was actually going to watch the Borat film though so I guess my film watching tonight would have been rubbish either way. Can't wait to read how transcendent and subversive or whatever Kajillionaire is though. I can't believe the story it's trying to tell without any of the things you need to tell it. I am actually still watching the film. I've become sick of looking at the hair of one of the characters. Hair. Has a new genre been carved out where filmmakers poke fun at how lame their film is, and try to use visual and character quirks in place of genuine personality. The Dead Don't Die, The Wolf Of Snow Hollow and now this. 

The Reckoning (2020)

Neil Marshall is back after a lot of TV work with a superb film set during the great plague. Grace's husband dies from the sickness, but when she stands up to the local squire she is accused of being a witch and at the subsequent mercy of the Witchfinder. At times hard to watch but totally compelling. Lush period detail, really smokey and grimy, although sometimes reliant on modern cliches to get the job done. Superb performances from star/co-writer Charlotte Kirk as Grace who has to go through some really horrific things to maintain the truth, and the witchfinder himself Sean Pertwee, it really gets going once he turns up, no mistake. The one torture device was genuinely nasty, apparently this was a real thing too - you'll know what I mean when you see it. Gritty, although at time melodramatic and a bit daft yet ultimately satisfying period drama. Definite return to form for Neil Marshall.

3.5/5

As I was typing this I was listening to a post-screening interview and Neil Marshall acknowledged his Hellboy reboot was garbage, "the less said about that the better". He says they have distro and this will be out in February. Worth a watch.

@Vimster I've been enjoying Scott Adkins interviews with Martial Arts films stars on YouTube and hoped you could recommend some watchable stuff from Scott. I remember yourself reviewing and enjoying Avengment here, which I really liked. I've a feeling you may have sat through a whole bunch of his stuff of various levels of quality. Is there any other films of his you would recommend worth searching out ?

10 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Kajillionaire

The worst film I've ever seen. 

-1000/5

I was actually going to watch the Borat film though so I guess my film watching tonight would have been rubbish either way. Can't wait to read how transcendent and subversive or whatever Kajillionaire is though. I can't believe the story it's trying to tell without any of the things you need to tell it. I am actually still watching the film. I've become sick of looking at the hair of one of the characters. Hair. Has a new genre been carved out where filmmakers poke fun at how lame their film is, and try to use visual and character quirks in place of genuine personality. The Dead Don't Die, The Wolf Of Snow Hollow and now this. 

haha this is funny, I actually liked this one but I felt similar about July's The Future which is one of the worst films I've ever watched, have you seen that one?

8 hours ago, Orion said:

@Vimster I've been enjoying Scott Adkins interviews with Martial Arts films stars on YouTube and hoped you could recommend some watchable stuff from Scott. I remember yourself reviewing and enjoying Avengment here, which I really liked. I've a feeling you may have sat through a whole bunch of his stuff of various levels of quality. Is there any other films of his you would recommend worth searching out ?

The Debt Collector is alright, he doesn't get to do a ton of fighting but it's an enjoyable film all the same. Accident Man has some great fight. Not watched that many more, to be honest, should do really.

The World We Knew (2020)

The film-makers describe it as "gangsters vs ghosts", useful shorthand but doesn't really do justice to this decent enough low-budget Brit crime film where, after a job goes bad, a group of armed robbers hole up in a remote farmhouse, their pasts catching up with them. Definitely more gangster than ghost story, the haunting was a nice twist on this sort of genre film. Very very slow burn though, it takes its time to build up the relationships in the crew of memorable, if a tad cliched characters. Enjoyed this more as a low-budget crime film than a ghost story. Well written and acted. I did have issues with the often mumbled and quiet dialogue mixed with very loud music. Probably a bit too slow in places, felt like it struggled to fill the 78-minute running time. Good idea generally.

3/5 

The Greatest Showman 4/5

even lighter than BoRhap, as a biog, of PTB, with terrible CGI, and a jukebox selection of songs-as-Musical.

But some of the camera work, the choreography, the actors, it’s just so feel-good...

Alien On Stage (2020)

Documentary about the group of Dorset bus drivers who put on an am-dram adaptation of Alien complete with low-budget effects and sets, and the subsequent premiere in London's West End. I had a huge smile on my face all the way through this, it was a joy to watch the ups and downs as cast and crew prepared for their big night. The actual show at the end was very well covered with all the major moments. In fact I felt they captured the thrill and excitement, was caught up in it, willing them all on. Superb doc.

5/5

7 hours ago, Minion said:

haha this is funny, I actually liked this one but I felt similar about July's The Future which is one of the worst films I've ever watched, have you seen that one?

I haven't and after struggling with the 2 minute trailer I think I'm going to pass. Kermode started his Kajillionaire review with 'I think it's Miranda July's best film, but *sigh* here's the thing...' He has a low tolerance for quirk but it's not that for me really, it's more than it feels in place of actual characterisation. At no point was I able to engage with the film's attempts at exploring family dysfunction, or repressed feelings, because I didn't believe any of it and there's no exploration there, more tame insertion. I don't believe the characters. It felt like if you're going to explore these serious deep issues, do it properly. 

Maybe the more dry generic take is more dull, a film about actual abuse, indoctrination, con artist parents whose child wakes up to the harm of their crimes when they witness the agony victims go through. And you can imagine the dilemma. I'm imagining that film and it's grim but there's drama there. For me to care I have to believe it. It just rubbed me up the wrong way. 

There are other films that are quirky, like Me, Earl and The Dieing Girl but at its heart is truth and honesty, it emphasizes the drama first then peppers it with fun to lighten it up, it's not the other way round. Though I'm sure there's some who feel like that film is sentimental contrived crap. 

Kajillionaire is my first Miranda July film. I know Me And You And Everyone We Know is polarising as well. 

31 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

I haven't and after struggling with the 2 minute trailer I think I'm going to pass. Kermode started his Kajillionaire review with 'I think it's Miranda July's best film, but *sigh* here's the thing...' He has a low tolerance for quirk but it's not that for me really, it's more than it feels in place of actual characterisation. At no point was I able to engage with the film's attempts at exploring family dysfunction, or repressed feelings, because I didn't believe any of it and there's no exploration there, more tame insertion. I don't believe the characters. It felt like if you're going to explore these serious deep issues, do it properly. 

Maybe the more dry generic take is more dull, a film about actual abuse, indoctrination, con artist parents whose child wakes up to the harm of their crimes when they witness the agony victims go through. And you can imagine the dilemma. I'm imagining that film and it's grim but there's drama there. For me to care I have to believe it. It just rubbed me up the wrong way. 

There are other films that are quirky, like Me, Earl and The Dieing Girl but at its heart is truth and honesty, it emphasizes the drama first then peppers it with fun to lighten it up, it's not the other way round. Though I'm sure there's some who feel like that film is sentimental contrived crap. 

Kajillionaire is my first Miranda July film. I know Me And You And Everyone We Know is polarising as well. 

Yeah don't watch The Future it's beyond terrible, like way way worse than Kajillionaire. Me and You and Everyone We Know is a bit more twee and hopeful, it's worth a try it's  different to Kajillionaire which personally I thought was pretty good. Yes the characters don't feel 'real' but for me they seem to be more symbolic archetypes and represent different facets of modern culture, there's definitely a critique of capitalism in there if you want to look for it. If you view it as a realistic film I could see it not being enjoyable and will come across as stupid. Also I loved Evan Rachel Wood's style in the film, it reminds me of me and my mates back in the 90's, big baggy clothes with big long hippy hair, man we were cool.