IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Just now, Triple A said:

I'm intruiged by the idea of a prequel given what was seeded in X - so will see that too 🙂

Since seeing X I've also stuck The Innkeepers on my watchlist, as Ti West is def one to, well, watch.

His films are always worth watching. House Of The Devil is his best I'd say.

The Gray Man

I know the plot is thin on the ground, but I thought this was completely fantastic. Essentially two jacked Americans smash the shit out of Europe while chasing a fairly pointless McGuffin.

Both Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans have a whale of a time action heroing the shit out of this. Chris Evans especially chews the fuck out the scenery throughout and is just an utterly ridiculous villain.

There's not a single annoying, superfluous character in here an everyone plays their parts brilliantly.

It hammers along at an unbelievable pace and is just nonstop action. They must have spent a fortune on bullets, let alone all the shit they blew up and all the dead extras.

Theres very little meaningful dialogue, but there's some good exchanges and a few laughs.

It was just massive fun for two hours. My only criticism is that it was a very definite series of set pieces. But those set pieces were all so brilliant that I'll let it slide. And there was some really well thought out bits in the action as well.

No, it will never be as well regarded as the classics like Apocalypse Now, A Fistful of Dollars or Gigli. But it was really entertaining from start to finish.

Definite 5/5 for me.

Thirteen Lives

Astonishing true story.

Incredibly well told.

The direction by Howard is some of his finest work.

All the cast are superb, including the kids, but Viggo is just amazing.

Best film I’ve seen this year by a long way. It’s on Prime. Get it watched.

5/5

Legal Eagles

This is great. Always good to see Brian Dehenny, and I was wondering why we never saw Debra Winger in more things.

You now need to go read Winger's IMDB trivia to see a woman torch her career with daft choices, unbelieveable roles turned down (Karen Allens part in Raiders of the Lost Ark, Glenn Close's part in Fatal Attraction). Or this gem:

She was angry when director Penny Marshall cast Madonna in A League of Their Own (1992) telling her, "You're making an Elvis movie." Marshall didn't know what that meant, which frustrated Winger even more, since she dropped out of the film and Geena Davis got her role. 

Or

According to Kathleen Turner's memoir, Michael Douglas originally offered Debra the role of Joan in Romancing the Stone (1984). They met at a Mexican restaurant to discuss it but, according to Douglas, she ended up biting him. She didn't get the part. 

It's the double facepalm of career decisions.

3/5

20 hours ago, Ry said:

Terminator 2 - 5/5

Came in from pub last night and it was on STV. Maybe my 100th time seeing it. 

It's just such a goddamn joy. I can't fault it. 

I once gave T2 a 5/5, it would have been my one and only 5/5 movie to this day but on reflection I was just a naive teenager when I watched it. 

Two films this weekend;

thirteen lives

Amazing movie, 2nd best this year so far. Director doesn’t ham it up with the kids, one of the rescuers actually says he hates em. No forced emotional nonsense, it’s more about the science and politics of the event. 

3.5/5

prey

just didn’t click with this at all. Full of tribal people but of course everyone speaks English, you know what you’re in for when that happens in a movie. Very predictable and designed by committee, by the numbers. Had some nice shots of rivers. The general setup IS an interesting take on the franchise but with poor execution resulting in a film I struggled to get through.

1/5

My take on the language thing in Prey was they dealt with it by not understanding the French folk. Almost as if the viewer has a Comanche babelfish. 

This was dealt with really well in the tv series Warrior. They periodically subtitle the Chinese and it morphs into English during a scene - such a cool device to allow English language whilst also letting an audience know they are actually speaking a different language really. 

4 hours ago, Capwn said:

prey

just didn’t click with this at all. Full of tribal people but of course everyone speaks English, you know what you’re in for when that happens in a movie. Very predictable and designed by committee, by the numbers. Had some nice shots of rivers. The general setup IS an interesting take on the franchise but with poor execution resulting in a film I struggled to get through.

1/5

There is a Comanche dub also…..

Prey

Phenomenal film. Loved everything about it.

Amber Midthunder (what a surname!!) was fantastic and gave a great performance. She may have been upstaged by the doggo, though!!

The action scenes were strong and relatively easy to follow but I really liked the slower, quiet scenes that just let you feel the world and atmosphere.

The Predator franchise is now a pretty bloomin' good trilogy (1, 2 and this).

5 severed limbs / 5.

Red Dragon

Brett Ratner’s entirely unnecessary payday for Anthony Hopkins. I love Fiennes, but he’s terribly miscast as Dolarhyde. Seymour Hoffman is a poor Lounds. The less said about Ham-able Lecter the better. Tally’s script is as bad as you’d expect. The music is crap too. Only bright spot is Emily Watson as Reba.

Watch Manhunter instead/5

Bullet train. 

Big dumb stupid fun. Only miss step is a gratuitous audi advert at the end. 

Peak Brad Pitt. Cor blimey gangsters, swords, short skirt, guv guv guv Cor blimey guv, channeling Guy Ritchie, buckets of claret, me old china, chekovs snake, stupid henchmen. 

But I laughed and didn't really care that it made no sence. 

Perfect father son Sunday afternoon pre 18th birthday film. 

3.5 phone calls out of 5

On 06/08/2022 at 23:18, Thor said:

Event Horizon 

Another on my list of "should have fucking watched this by now", and the first one I didn't really rate. In fact, after a promising start I thought this was shit. 

Wish I'd continued watching The Sandman/5

It's so weird. It's a concept that would work brilliantly as a slow burning horror film, and there are glimpses of that, but there's so much awful cheese layered on top of it.

8 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Bullet train. 

Big dumb stupid fun. Only miss step is a gratuitous audi advert at the end. 

Peak Brad Pitt. Cor blimey gangsters, swords, short skirt, guv guv guv Cor blimey guv, channeling Guy Ritchie, buckets of claret, me old china, chekovs snake, stupid henchmen. 

But I laughed and didn't really care that it made no sence. 

Perfect father son Sunday afternoon pre 18th birthday film. 

3.5 phone calls out of 5

I agree with the rating and summary but I would say it’s more of a Matthew Vaughn channeling as opposed to Guy Ritchie 

Our Friend - 3/5 (screener, but it’s also on Prime in the UK)

Dakota Johnson, Casey Affleck (obv, YMMV with him) and Jason Segal star in a drama based on a true story centred on Johnson’s Nicole being diagnosed with cancer.

It’s glossy in the way films can be, but also doesn’t pull it’s punches. Segal puts in a shift as the dependable friend, and Johnson really is a far better actress than she’s often given credit. 

A pretty heart-wrenching drama with moments of humour; I did cry but more for the value of friendships. We don’t need many, but we’ll remember the best ones far more than our material possessions (the GameCube excepted)

(#571)

Jennifer's Body

No, this was not on my list of films I should really get round to watching. I was bored and thought, fuck it, Megan Fox is easy on the eye, so put this on. Well, whaddya know? It was actually reasonably entertaining, like an old '80s horror movie. 

2.5/5

The grey man. 

It's not often I watch a movie and have an internal discussion with myself as to whether the film I'm watching is just stupid or really actually very stupid. Or if by watching it, I'm making myself more stupid?

This film is stupid, that I think, is a given. 

If you like a stupid film with stupid people doing stupid things, it's 5/5. 

If you find when you watch a film and begin to ask why characters are doing stupid things constantly. It's -246/5

I think it's a 2 stupid plot device's out of 5 film. But that might have been swayed by the bottle of gin on the table. 

Brian and Charles - 3/5 (screener)

A quirky gem about a lonely inventor, Brian, who makes a robot, Charles, in his shed. David Earl (Brian) is a naturally funny bloke, combine that with a comically lo-fi robot and you've got a very sweet and gentle comedy. Part love story, part coming-of-age tale, it's uniquely small and yet has more ideas than many films with 50 times its budget. Charming.

(#575)