rllmuk
Rayn

Modern Gaming - How do we like it?

Modern Gaming - How do we like it?  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After some discussion with various gamers I decided I wanted to get some data from other gamers. Some of this will be used to form an article for a gaming site. 
Feel free to discuss whatever "modern" gaming issues you'd like as I'm bound to have overlooked a lot. 

• Upvote 4

Although I've voted how I've voted as it were, I'm all for the widening of available games more than anything else. I don't play anything online at all really and fps games (or any genre really) that is too spectacle driven is the bane of all games imho.

I still think there's a lot of finding of feet going on and too many games not making anywhere near the most out of the particular medium. It's almost strange that you could arguably draw a smoother line between say dragon's lair and something like new tomb raider than original tomb raider or original 2d prince of Persia and assassins creed/ tomb raider. 

I also realise that it's different strokes for different folks so as long as that variety is still there, then long may it all continue and continue to grow. 

• Downvote 1

All about the 'Indie' scene for me these days. Although a game is a game is a game, it is the so-called Indie scene that seems to be what I love about gaming, rather than seeing me as some kind of human ATM. 

Obviously there are exceptions to the rules on both sides. 

• Upvote 3

@Rayn in ref to gaming on mobile devices - I just can't be arsed with in app purchases and adverts. Even games I've bought in the past (to avoid adverts) now have adverts in them.

I just find mobile gaming to be disappointing and not worth the effort (along with trying to use my phone less and less).

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, idiwa said:

@Rayn in ref to gaming on mobile devices - I just can't be arsed with in app purchases and adverts. Even games I've bought in the past (to avoid adverts) now have adverts in them.

I just find mobile gaming to be disappointing and not worth the effort (along with trying to use my phone less and less).

That's a really good point. I actually don't mind a good game on my iPad, stuff like Darkest Dungeon, Civilization Revolution and Her Story are really compelling on the format but 99.9% of all the "Free to download" apps are shite and riddled with microtransactions. 

Why is game pass/psnow/uplay+ excluded from the poll? The Xbox live/psn issue is very different. So my response to that is that I don't really care and would rather not pay for playing online which I mostly don't do. However, game pass is the best thing in gaming right now. If you're writing an article on this, addressing the difference is vital.

• Upvote 1

I do wish I played more mobile games. Even though they're so accessible I just find myself idling on forums or Twitter during the times I could be trying them. I basically only play them if I'm on a flight with no signal (which unfortunately renders some of them unplayable).

There are so many great mobile games too. I feel like I dont even get to hear about them unless someone I like is going on about it.

Gorogoa, Ridiculous Fishing, Downwell, 80 Days and Florence have all been wonderful.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

Why is game pass/psnow/uplay+ excluded from the poll? The Xbox live/psn issue is very different. So my response to that is that I don't really care and would rather not pay for playing online which I mostly don't do. However, game pass is the best thing in gaming right now. If you're writing an article on this, addressing the difference is vital.

Good call and added to the poll. Sadly the ones who have already voted can't vote for this. 

I also wanted to add a poll around Digital vs Physical, but I've reached the maximum number of poll options so it's in its final form now. 

Just now, Rayn said:

Good call and added to the poll. Sadly the ones who have already voted can't vote for this. 

I also wanted to add a poll around Digital vs Physical, but I've reached the maximum number of poll options so it's in its final form now. 

Game pass has nothing to do with streaming.

I definitely miss the days of getting a physical game that was finished and not worrying about the internet and patches/dlc. 

I’ve been through the years of cartridge based consoles and enjoyed the ride of Xbox live and connectivity as well as more modern game design and better graphics etc, but I find now I’m older I prefer simpler things. 

It’s great to be able to browse Steam and download a new game for less than a tenner in five minutes, but it comes with the assumption from developers that they can spend forever adjusting things and correcting mistakes long after release. This has the effect of putting you off day one purchases for all but the must-haves. 

Of course, it’s great that bugs can be fixed in this way, but has led to a lack of proper testing because this ability is taken for granted. 

I don’t play online but accept that it’s a great feature. All other aspects of modern gaming just put me off though. But that’s fine, because there’s still plenty for me and I don’t begrudge others their fun just because I don’t like it. 

I do feel that I’m not the target audience for the video game market like I used to be but that makes sense because I’m 40 in less than two months. It feels strange to me though because I always have been up to now. From childhood when games were for kids, through the ‘90s when they positioned them for teens and 20s and even into my mid-thirties when it felt like some games were aimed at ‘the older gamer’. It’s only in the last few years that I feel the industry has left me behind, or maybe I’ve left it behind. I still enjoy and play games, but I’m much pickier and more cynical about the next big thing, knowing 90+% of modern releases just aren’t for me. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I do feel that I’m not the target audience for the video game market like I used to be but that makes sense because I’m 40 in less than two months. It feels strange to me though because I always have been up to now. From childhood when games were for kids, through the ‘90s when they positioned them for teens and 20s and even into my mid-thirties when it felt like some games were aimed at ‘the older gamer’. It’s only in the last few years that I feel the industry has left me behind, or maybe I’ve left it behind. I still enjoy and play games, but I’m much pickier and more cynical about the next big thing, knowing 90+% of modern releases just aren’t for me. 

I couldn’t have articulated this any better. I’m in the same boat myself; fast approaching 40 in the next couple of months and I simply don’t get the joy of playing a game anymore. It’s done more out of obligation than fun a lot of the time for me these days. I’ll play something, maybe like it, but I won’t have that pull to go back and play it.

It’s taken a year for me to play up to the middle act on Spider-Man for no other reason that I simply cannot be bothered to play a game a lot of the time. I guess I carry on playing in the hope that something clicks and reignites my passion once more for playing a game.

I’ve become so desensitised to it now that games I would await with anticipation leave me cold, since I’m no longer part of that audience that it’s trying to entice. FIFA, for example, isn’t for me anymore.

Won’t stop me from buying games mind in the hope that something clicks.

• Upvote 1

I'm basically a bit of a dinosaur, with gaming tastes forged 30 odd years ago and not likely to change dramatically in the future. I mostly only care about fully formed single player experiences with some level of traditional challenge. Indie games are obviously a big part of this these days, and significantly contribute to my continued interest, although I do like a good big budget game from time to time. It's perhaps also worth pointing out that the majority of games I really get into are still Japanese made, and I'll likely always be a console gamer, as long as consoles are a thing.

With all that in mind, everything from the major franchise games to loot boxes to mobile games has no appeal (I don't own a smart phone anyway). I rarely buy DLC, wouldn't get value out of subscription services, and have barely played any online MP games.

I do quite like trophies though, and try to buy digital whenever the price is right.

To each their own of course, but I'm 42 and still enjoy gaming as much as I ever have and I find digital a godsend - saving space is crucial when you're married with children :) One major difference is that I stick closer to genres I know I like and I avoid anything multiplayer like the plague - that's just not for me. 

I don't like playing on my phone or tablet because I simply don't like that interface for gaming. And I prefer playing on massive screen, so I don't do handheld gaming in general.

I hardly ever buy DLC, I stick with just the game proper. I find DLC adds nothing 99% of the time. Either it's significant content and then it should have been in the game, or it's superfluous and you're not missing anything. Or it's weapons and armor that are way overpowered, spoiling the game. 

I don't do multiplayer so all the services don't mean shit to me, BUT Game Pass is the best thing ever. Hundreds upon hundreds of games, a veritable cornucopia of gaming nirwana for almost nothing. And nowadays the only way I'll discover a new genre 

Other than that, I find gaming is better than it's ever been. I can't think of any time period where we had such a great diversity in games and genres to choose from, never mind of such a high quality. Whenever someone moans about the state of modern gaming and only cites AAA yearly franchises as examples, I assume that he or she is either not looking hard enough, or is simply not bothered by games in general anymore.

• Upvote 7

3 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

To each their own of course, but I'm 42 and still enjoy gaming as much as I ever have and I find digital a godsend - saving space is crucial when you're married with children :) One major difference is that I stick closer to genres I know I like and I avoid anything multiplayer like the plague - that's just not for me. 

We're in the same boat. We're exactly the same age and I suspect I enjoy games even more now than ever. I'm not as competitive a player as I used to be, so online games like CS, Apex, PUBG etc are only played with close friends once in a while. Slower games I didn't spend a lot of time on before, like Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing and similar games I simply love these days and I clocked a massive 200+ hours on Stardew Valley earlier this year. 

A lot of my old gaming friends are really casual now and only buy one or two games each year, stating they don't have the time for games anymore, yet they go play golf or tennis so it's all about making choices. I'd rather play Everybodys Golf than go on an actual golf course, but to each their own as you said! I'll be gaming until it's physically impossible for me to do so!

Hype culture is a bit of an issue for me - fear of missing out and all that. We're a bit spoilt for choice at the moment and even though I only own one of the three console platforms (and a semi-competent PC) I can feel a bit overwhelmed with the amount of stuff that's out there. It's definitely a "modern" gaming issue, because back in the 80s and early 90s the internet wasn't a thing for me - we had monthly magazines, word-of-mouth and maybe Gamesmaster? Now everyone's talking about every game at once, all of the time, and I'll never get around to them all. Looking at our own game of the year poll for 2018, I only bought about three of the top 10 games (Tetris, Astro Bot, Celeste)... and I know this is very much a first world problem, but this new golden era is contending with my 30something life where I'm less inclined to buy and play every new thing. :blah:

40 minutes ago, Rayn said:

lot of my old gaming friends are really casual now and only buy one or two games each year, stating they don't have the time for games anymore, yet they go play golf or tennis so it's all about making choices. I'd rather play Everybodys Golf than go on an actual golf course, but to each their own as you said! I'll be gaming until it's physically impossible for me to do so

I have a friend who is sort of like that; he buys a lot of games and often complains about not having enough time. On the other hand he talks a lot about all the movies he's seen and all the shows he's binged. He has plenty of time, but chooses to enjoy watching telly instead. Fair enough. I love gaming, so for my part I hardly get to watch anything because I'm always firing up a console whenever I have me time.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Qazimod said:

Hype culture is a bit of an issue for me - fear of missing out and all that. We're a bit spoilt for choice at the moment and even though I only own one of the three console platforms (and a semi-competent PC) I can feel a bit overwhelmed with the amount of stuff that's out there. It's definitely a "modern" gaming issue, because back in the 80s and early 90s the internet wasn't a thing for me - we had monthly magazines, word-of-mouth and maybe Gamesmaster? Now everyone's talking about every game at once, all of the time, and I'll never get around to them all. Looking at our own game of the year poll for 2018, I only bought about three of the top 10 games (Tetris, Astro Bot, Celeste)... and I know this is very much a first world problem, but this new golden era is contending with my 30something life where I'm less inclined to buy and play every new thing. :blah:

You raise some valid points and I can find myself getting a bit annoyed with the attitude towards gaming these days. Before the internet was mainstream you were often out of luck if you got stuck in a game. If you were lucky, the game in question had a hints and tips mention in the newest C+VG, EGM or any other gaming rag that came out at the time. It still didn't stop us from playing the games, we kept trying and trying and eventually we figured it out. 

These days I notice people posting negatively about a game within a week of its release for lacking content "it only took me 100 hours to complete it". Games are now consumed in a totally different way than I grew up with. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

All about the 'Indie' scene for me these days. Although a game is a game is a game, it is the so-called Indie scene that seems to be what I love about gaming, rather than seeing me as some kind of human ATM. 

Obviously there are exceptions to the rules on both sides. 

A +1 for this man, I wholeheartedly agree that indies have defined gaming for me more so than ever this gen. Perhaps it's the abundance of them on all platforms, the fact they are generally very well priced and the sheer variety of titles available. 

I still like the triple A's but I sometimes like playing something that I can complete within a few hours without any hassle.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, idiwa said:

Just to add to that I went off mobile gaming where suddenly the apps that I'd bought with my hard earned money just disappeared overnight one day. With no refund.

• Upvote 1

Good things - apart from the 3DS and the Wii U, it has been ages since a  region-locked console has been released.  It would now be seen as a massive step back if another one was released.

Modern gaming has been a mixed bag for me. I've never bought so few games in a generation as I have this gen, I wouldn't be surprised if I bought less than 20% of the boxed games I bought last gen. If your go-to experience is single player, linear action games, then you're left with fewer and fewer choices it seems. I still buy and enjoy some of the open world stuff, but I've never clicked with online games, save for a period where I played a lot of Unreal Tournament on the PS3.

The Battle Royale stuff has been completely off my radar. I'm aware of it, I even installed Apex Legends, had a quick mess around and decided it wasn't for me. Because of that, I haven't really been bothered by crap like loot boxes and the like.

Where this gen has been amazing, is the birth of consumer level VR. Be it Astro Bot or Beat Sabre and a wealth of titles in between, PSVR feels like a platform in of itself, which is home to many of the straight ahead, skill based single player and arcade experiences I've missed this gen. Blood & Truth is probably the best FPS experience of the gen, although Titanfall 2 runs it a close second.

I'm thrilled I'll get to play a sequel to Streets Of Rage 4. The indie stuff started amazingly strong this gen, but seems to have dwindled a bit towards the end.

Anyhoo, yeah a mixed bag, but I'm still excited for PS5. :)

• Upvote 1

I agree with lots of what's been said here already. One thing I will add is that as I've grown older I've become a lot less interested in the stories in games, as nine times out of ten gaming narratives aren't as good as those you would find in a novel, film or TV series. Most of the time nowadays I just want to get on with the game and have little tolerance for lots of intrusive cutscenes or long periods of down time. JRPGS are often particularly guilty of this. You only need to play a game like Inside, for example, to see a game that tells a good story that doesn't constantly take away the player's agency.

At the same time, however, I'm not especially interested in arcade-style games that have you chasing a high score, most of which are all about gameplay and often feature only the most rudimentary of narratives. I like to feel like I'm making progress every time I play and don't enjoy having to start again from the beginning every time. As such, I've got little interest in the recent resurgence of rogue-likes.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I agree with lots of what's been said here already. One thing I will add is that as I've grown older I've become a lot less interested in the stories in games, as nine times out of ten gaming narratives aren't as good as those you would find in a novel, film or TV series.

I think I'm the opposite; I find myself more looking for a good narrative and a good single player rather than just going for online stuff like I used to. For me the golden age was COD 4, MW2 and Rainbow Vegas where there was always a good crowd on (Meermans vegas games especially). Now the only MP I can be arsed with is Titanfall 2 and I know sooner or later it will die out and I wont be able to get a game.

At the ripe old age of 44 I bought GTA V last week. I've never played a single GTA title.. I'm still not sure what made me buy it the other day... just to keep everything in check I bought (yet again) Resident Evil 4. :quote:

Pretty much indifferent to everything. I just don't care enough. 

Gaming isn't geared for me anyway. Too many things are geared towards those with FOMO. Be it trophies or lootboxes etc etc. 

I just pick out the bits I like and ignore the rest. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, idiwa said:

I think I'm the opposite; I find myself more looking for a good narrative and a good single player rather than just going for online stuff like I used to. For me the golden age was COD 4, MW2 and Rainbow Vegas where there was always a good crowd on (Meermans vegas games especially). Now the only MP I can be arsed with is Titanfall 2 and I know sooner or later it will die out and I wont be able to get a game.

At the ripe old age of 44 I bought GTA V last week. I've never played a single GTA title.. I'm still not sure what made me buy it the other day... just to keep everything in check I bought (yet again) Resident Evil 4. :quote:

Good single-player and good narrative don't necessarily go hand in hand, though. More often than not the narratives in single-player games, especially the AAA shooter titles that you mention in your post, are just there to loosely tie the set pieces together. Resi Evil 4 is pretty much the acme of single-player gaming experiences, but the plot and the writing, especially, are famously terrible.

I also find that the more a game tries to tell its story in a cinematic way then the more of a disparity there is between the story the game wants to tell and the one that arises from the gameplay. Uncharted is a good example: ostensibly it's a gung-ho adventure story starring the Indiana Jones-esque Nathan Drake, a happy-go-lucky treasure hunter who can handle a gun and might finish fights but doesn't start them; by the end of the game, however, you will have been responsible for shooting, blowing up and/or burning alive literally hundreds of the nameless enemies who get in your way, making Drake's cheeky chappy persona a tad harder to swallow.

Games should tell stories using gaming techniques and not rely on cinematic techniques, or (even worse) literary ones, like giving the player books of lore to read through in game (a la Skyrim). Few games do so, however.

• Upvote 6

I do prefer the more literary-inspired storytelling i.e diaries left lying around, because you’re at least spared the terrible voice acting. 

I can recall people saying that Zero Escape had moments of “good videogame storytelling” because there are ideas in the story of something like VLR that only work and make sense because of the gameplay features...

Spoiler

I remember being blown away by the notion that the timeline jumping wasn’t just a convenient way to see all of the endings but an actual concept acknowledged by the game’s characters...

Alternatively, you could build your story around the kind of feelings experienced by the player, as with Celeste. Admittedly I think critics and fans risk championing it as Mental Health Issues: The Game, but the themes of self-doubt and self-belief will resonate with everyone, especially in a game where you’re going to fail hundreds of times on your way to the end credits...

I would like to thank everyone who has done the poll so far and an extra thanks to those who have extended with a post, there are loads of interesting thoughts here. 

I would love to hear more about some of the stuff that didn't get into the poll, so here goes: 

Physical vs Digital? Personally I prefer digital these days. I've never collected games for the sake of it, I buy them for myself and rarely have I sold any of my games. I just love being able to buy games on an impulse, or during a post pub session there's always someone who wants to challenge me in a game I don't own so it's easy to just open the online shop and download it. I figure the lack of physical releases must be a nightmare for collectors, though. 

VR gaming, yay or nay? I love VR, especially PSVR due to the fact that I don't need to worry wether the games will run or not, and the new Occulus Quest is rather tasty. I still feel it's in its infancy still, but I really hope VR has a place in the generations to come. My best VR experiences are up there with my favourite gaming moments ever. 

Game streaming and virtual hardware: I think this is a very exciting idea and would actually love to see it grow into something substantial, but after trying Geforce Now, Shadow and Playstation Now it's pretty clear that we won't see these services entering the market for competitive players just yet. Latency issues, input lag and screen artifacts are still too prominent but perhaps with a bit of wizardry and a viable business model these services can earn their places down the line? 

Multiple versions of games: Now this is a practice I'm really fed up with. When a game is released with a Standard Edt. and a Collectors Edt. that's fine, but when there are three, four, five or even more than that my piss starts boiling. My youngest kid wanted a game a while back and I checked online and said it was ok. Turned out he wanted the top of the tier, super duper diamond hyper rare collectors edition with season pass, collectibles, a song book and a bowie knife or somesuch. The friggin thing was more than 300 quid. What the actual hell?