rllmuk
Dr_Dave

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Where did you buy the de-10 nano board from? it all seems rather confusing to me. Do you have any pics of what it looks like without the extra optional cases etc

Here you go:

https://www.digikey.co.uk/products/en/development-boards-kits-programmers/evaluation-boards-embedded-complex-logic-fpga-cpld/796?k=de10-nano

ships from us but price includes VAT so no issues with customs.

I also had some discussions with Ricardo (retroshop mentioned up the thread). but decided to just buy the barebones board and pick up bits as i go along.

17 hours ago, watusi said:

Now I'm fully operational the MISTer is amazing, it really does feel worlds apart from the PI.

I knew you wouldn't be disappointed!

For those who aren't yet convinced by the MiSTer DE-10 Nano here's a very recent video highlighting some of the more demanding Neo Geo games that require the higher 128MB ram spec. They look and run fantastic .... and I'm now extremely jealous as I've heard my ram upgrade will be delayed :(

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I can justify buying a second 128mb ram as it would effectively be a waste of money. I'll make do with my experimental non-official 64mb ram for now. It's just unfortunate that my vendor has had a little setback. Still, I can wait as I have plenty to play on MiSTer as it is. I've still got to set up the newest arcade cores that I never got a chance to do last weekend. (Gun Smoke, Vulgus, Super Cobra, Tazz-mania and Gaplus (Galaga 3)).

55 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

The classic arcade core library on this is already ridiculous.

Can't wait to see what comes next.

There's too many arcade games already! I really do appreciate the arcade cores as owning arcade PCBs and a supergun setup is a very expensive hobby nowadays (it always was). I just wish the available cores were a little more to my personal taste. I've enjoyed about a quarter of the arcade cores with most games just being that bit too old for me to fully appreciate. My faves so far have been Space Invaders, Ghosts 'n' Goblins, 1943, Dig Dug, Galaga and Xevious and Commando.

I'd like to see arcade cores from a slightly later period, but before the CPS2 and other similar boards became the norm. I've no idea if these are being done but I'd like to see things like International Track & Field, Side Arms, R-Type, Mercs, Raiden, Rampage, Double Dragon, Shinobi, Karate Champ, Kung Fu Master .... I could go on, just my own personal wish list with a heavy slant on shmups!

7 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

When switching cores do you have to do a reflash of the fpga or is it all pretty much instant?

disclaimer: not 100% on how fpga chips actually work. 

It's pretty much instant, a few seconds at most! What I always do with the MiSTer though is to reboot the system via the menu before switching cores. Since I've been using a non-official 64MB sdram board for a while now I've experienced a few "niggles" when switching from one core to another without a reboot. But when I was using the official 32MB sdram I never had any issues switiching from core to core.

In technical terms the FPGA is flashed, or to be more precise the logic gates in the FPGA are reconfigured to mimic the system you're loading every time you load a new core. On occassion though the memory isn't fully cleared from the previous core loaded, hence why I personally reboot the system .... but even that only takes a few seconds! You certainly don't need to know how the FPGA works in order to use the MiSTer.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, shiffy said:

There's too many arcade games already! I really do appreciate the arcade cores as owning arcade PCBs and a supergun setup is a very expensive hobby nowadays (it always was). I just wish the available cores were a little more to my personal taste. I've enjoyed about a quarter of the arcade cores with most games just being that bit too old for me to fully appreciate. My faves so far have been Space Invaders, Ghosts 'n' Goblins, 1943, Dig Dug, Galaga and Xevious and Commando.

I'd like to see arcade cores from a slightly later period, but before the CPS2 and other similar boards became the norm. I've no idea if these are being done but I'd like to see things like International Track & Field, Side Arms, R-Type, Mercs, Raiden, Rampage, Double Dragon, Shinobi, Karate Champ, Kung Fu Master .... I could go on, just my own personal wish list with a heavy slant on shmups!

From what I understand:

- A WIP R-Type exists in FPGA form thanks to a Japanese dev - hopefully someone can help with completion / transfer to MiST / MiSTer 

- Double Dragon is definitely happening (Jotego picked up a PCB a while back and is confident about implementing a CPU overclock hack as well)

- Shinobi is within the realms of possibility (its sound chip has been written and confirmed to be accurate - possibly already being used on a recent core - and the demand for it is massive)

With Neo Geo already a thing CPS1 with your Mercs and Strider and Ghouls 'n Ghosts and SFII etc seems well within reach. It's far less complex yet similar hardware. Similarly with Shinobi - games like Fantasy Zone (and M2's Fantasy Zone 2), Alien Storm, Golden Axe should be fairly simple to port once the base work has been completed.

On 10/10/2019 at 00:23, spanky debrest said:

From what I understand:

- A WIP R-Type exists in FPGA form thanks to a Japanese dev - hopefully someone can help with completion / transfer to MiST / MiSTer 

- Double Dragon is definitely happening (Jotego picked up a PCB a while back and is confident about implementing a CPU overclock hack as well)

- Shinobi is within the realms of possibility (its sound chip has been written and confirmed to be accurate - possibly already being used on a recent core - and the demand for it is massive)

With Neo Geo already a thing CPS1 with your Mercs and Strider and Ghouls 'n Ghosts and SFII etc seems well within reach. It's far less complex yet similar hardware. Similarly with Shinobi - games like Fantasy Zone (and M2's Fantasy Zone 2), Alien Storm, Golden Axe should be fairly simple to port once the base work has been completed.

I'd forgotten that R-Type was being worked on by. But I'd missed the fact that Double Dragon had been confirmed by Jotego, I must have missed a post or two from him somewhere down the line. That's two of my faves to look forward to!

The arcade side of MiSTer is now where we're going to the see the biggest gains over the coming year or two. Once the developers build up a library of "FPGA hardware components" that were common between various arcade machines (best way I can describe it for now) I think we'll see a situation where games would come thick and fast with only the logic of any given game being programmed to work the the "FPGA arcade components"

In terms of consoles I think we've hit the limit already in terms of what is possible, although we will see CD implemenations for the PC Engine, Neo CD and Amiga at some point ..... even the Mega CD might be possible? Given how the Neo Geo core turned out I wouldn't rule the Mega CD out entirely now . But there will certainly be refinements of all the existing cores. Anyone looking for a PS1, Saturn or N64 will be disappointed.  I know there's a proof of concept PS1 core and I'm sure I've seen a GBA core mentioned that only boots a homebrew rom but I don't think these will come to fruition. I'm sure there's a few early obscure consoles that could have cores created for them, I for one would like to see an Acetronic core (I'm showing my age a little here, it was the first console I played as a very young child) but I doubt there would be anyone interested enough to either create a core or enough people who would even use it.

It will be interesting to see what develops. For those who are following the MiSTer Project but who are not on Discord I'll copy a post that was recently made by Ace, one of the FPGA programmers ...... exciting times!

Ace10/04/2019

Oh screw it, I'm just going to spill the beans on cores I have in the pipeline (5 of these are in active development - they are in no particular order):

-Contra -Jackal -Gradius/Nemesis -Salamander/Life Force -Sega System C-2 hardware -Haunted Castle (the somewhat maligned Castlevania arcade game) -Gradius II -Gradius III -Space Harrier -OutRun -Sega X-Board (After Burner II, Thunder Blade, Super Monaco GP, etc.) -Sega Y-Board (Power Drift, Galaxy Force II, G-LOC Air Battle, etc.)

• Upvote 1

Another weekend and we have another new core, Donkey Kong Junior this time. This and the other two cores there won't get pulled in via the updater scripts though so here's the link to the creator's repository on gihub (gaz68). I've also linked to the Mister-X repository as well as there's also a few arcade cores there that also won't be downloaded automatically with the updater.

https://github.com/gaz68

https://github.com/MrX-8B