rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
TheDuke

Suggestions for older games, like the 7th Guest?

I remember enjoying D back when I had it on the Saturn and it’s also on the PS1 too. I have another one for the Saturn still but I don’t think it’s that good from what I remember called Mansion of the Hidden Souls or something like that. I read not too long back that this was based on the original that came out on the Sega CD. 

Return to Zork and Zork Grand Inquisitor are both worth checking out. They're more tongue in cheek than Nemesis, which was surprisingly dark.

The Myst games are very atmospheric, I wasn’t keen on the first, but Riven onwards are good. 

What about the Tex Murphy games? They can be good fun if cheesy bad acting is up your alley. 

Oh and Hell: A Cyberpunk Adventure, starring Dennis Hopper and Grace Jones?!

On 12/07/2019 at 07:48, Droo said:

Do they have to be old old?  Or is it just a decent puzzler?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/288160/The_Room/

Ideally old. I want to play them on my win98/dos machine. I was wondering what else I might have missed out on.

I do enjoy puzzle games, mostly adventure games, classic scumm point and click to the video formats of 7th Guest, but I'm also partial to games like TIS-100, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (great using actual radios), Temporal Invasion, a super cute game called Access Denied and of course the bigger games like the Portal series, the excellent Talos Principle etc

I've already played The Room series. Very enjoyable titles. If you enjoy them, there is also the House of Da Vinci that is along the same style and gameplay, albeit not quite as polished as The Room series of games. However I did feel it had a little big of an edge with the storyline. 

On 12/07/2019 at 07:49, Droo said:

You don’t seem to have Myst for that matter. 

I do have Myst, Riven, Myst Exile and a few others, like Aura - Fate of the Ages (a bit meh), Haven Moon (ok) and Quern - Undying Thoughts (very good)

On 12/07/2019 at 15:50, Soulstar said:

Phantasmagoria wasn’t that one of these kind of things?

Yes, I actually have as well. Forgot to add it to the list :)

On 12/07/2019 at 22:56, StoooTube said:

Return to Zork and Zork Grand Inquisitor are both worth checking out. They're more tongue in cheek than Nemesis, which was surprisingly dark.

The Myst games are very atmospheric, I wasn’t keen on the first, but Riven onwards are good. 

What about the Tex Murphy games? They can be good fun if cheesy bad acting is up your alley. 

Oh and Hell: A Cyberpunk Adventure, starring Dennis Hopper and Grace Jones?!

I was looking to play the older Zork games. I was playing on the telnet version over at zork.retroadventures.net:6502 but it went down again.

User: zork 
Pass: 2018Zork

Grand inquisitor needs to be played though,. thanks for the reminder.
I'll certainly check out Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller though, looks interesting thanks! :)

17 hours ago, Dudley said:

Tex Murphy for sure, Under a Killing Moon being my favourite.

I already have the Tex Murphy games on steam as well. I think I've generally over overlooked them as just a point and click. A couple of you guys have suggested it, so I'll have a play.

10 hours ago, StoooTube said:

Cryo made some interesting titles... the aforementioned Dune (classic game!) along with the Atlantis series, Lost Eden and Dragon Lore.

I've completely missed those titles. I'll check them out. I always thought Dune was an RTS game.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TheDuke said:

I've completely missed those titles. I'll check them out. I always thought Dune was an RTS game.

Dune has some RTS aspects but a large part of it involves travelling around and chatting to folk.

6 hours ago, TheDuke said:

Sorry to self pimp but there's a story there and this is the easiest way for me to get it into a post.

Dune is an adventure game with some very mild "S" elements, made by Cryo.

Dune 2 is an RTS made by Westwood (The Command and Conquer team).

What the one we're talking about is like and how that whole shit happened is buried in here but if you don't watch YouTube stuff then rest assured you're not wrong, you're just thinking of the wrong Dune game from the early 90s.

I was in a charity shop yesterday and they had a complete big box copy of 11th Hour for £3. I was really tempted but I can't justify having lots of PC games cluttering up my place.

As mentioned, Dune and Lost Eden are classics (and by far Cryo's best games), as is Under a Killing Moon. For a bit of first-person adventure you might also want to give the Journeyman Project games a try, pretty sure they're all on GOG. All that said, none are quite the same as 7th Guest/11th Hour - as in, they all involve puzzles tied to the story and inventory-based puzzle-solving rather than arbitrary brain-teasers, but they at least share the same perspective.

If anything even further from the design thanks to its reliance on time-based puzzles, but potentially worth a look, is the brilliant The Last Express - challenging but gorgeous, it's well worth a look. Alternatively, hewing more towards the visual novel and reducing the puzzling significantly there is of course Snatcher (though you'll need to emulate it), and I've heard good things about Rise of the Dragon, but I've not played it so can't really comment on how relevant it is.

• Upvote 1

If we're straying away from the static puzzlers, maybe Westwood's Bladerunner adventure? Mainly point-and-click, but with puzzles, clues to collect, and some real-time behaviours, it's not a straightforward example.

D has that time based game play. I’d forgotten entirely but read up on it a couple of days back. It was a horror thing. I played another one on the Saturn but forgot it’s name entirely.