rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Bojangle

Dr Mario - Mobile - July 10th

On 01/02/2019 at 03:40, amc said:

Fucking hell. Add that to a long list of game tunes ripped off by late 80s early 90s house/dance music creators. I have no idea of the name of the ersatz tune that ripped it off but listening to that for the first time ever (in its original form) gave me a flashback to some club or me mooching about with my aiwa in ear buds, one of the two. So wish I'd married the two back in the day. Video games and dance music at that time seem so interlinked in hindsight. The future. Tonnes of music creators must have been massive gameheads. Wish I'd bought that Megadrive when I'd made a few bob back in 91. Synergy. Ignore me, just wishing I'd embraced one of my two favourite things a little earlier than I did.

I thought it was the other way round. Well at least it was for streets of rage anyway. 

I have to clear level 20 to play multiplayer. And, I'm bored out of my mind at level (or is that course?) 13, despite being able to play as Dr. Bowser. I had hoped this could become my new timewaster, but I really do feel like I'd be wasting my time playing it further.

Yeah I’m really enjoying it. It’s not something I’m going to put hours and hours into I don’t think but for the odd 5 minutes here and there it’s great. 

Done up to level 14. It’s an absolute piece of piss so far, surely puzzle games should have some sort of challenge?

Can’t see them making much cash from this. 

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

Done up to level 14. It’s an absolute piece of piss so far, surely puzzle games should have some sort of challenge?

Can’t see them making much cash from this. 

It get's more difficult once you get past level 20.

I'm enjoying it so far. I went for Bowser on the character select.

I have to agree,it's worth sticking with the grind to get past level 20. Timed challenges alone change it up enough, but multiplayer is pretty good.

World 2 complete and sat in Tier 3 in Versus mode. New ideas keep coming and no need to buy / wait for bullshit power ups to complete the levels. Getting lots of play from this. The limited hearts are at least meaning I put the thing down for a few hours. Really good puzzler.

I've not played much of the vs mode but I am up to level 54 on the stages & agree it's a good puzzler. Not hit any paywalls yet.

Is there such a thing as a casual gamer now? Mobile games have been very popular for quite a few years now surely everyone knows these time wait mechanics from other games.

I'd say the levels are starting to be a challenge in terms of planning and thinking ahead and I've cleared a few with my last capsule. I can see some players might think they are completely stuck and that levels can't be done at all without buying additional capsules or power ups. But 2/5 of the way through the worlds I've not encountered that problem yet, which to me is the sign of a well designed puzzler. I do hope they make enough money to keep the new worlds and updates coming, just not for me on a pay-to-win basis. 

31 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

When do you get more main characters? All I've got is useless assistants.

Earn coins.

Go into Staffing.

Spend 4000.

What you get is pot luck. According to ‘Details’ there are 10 Doctors and a 2% chance of getting each of them.

This is a fun game. I’ve cleared roughly about 100 levels and I’ve made to League 4, playing about 30 min per day. But I think I’m done with it.

I’m amazed that they’ve managed to turn Dr Mario into a good puzzle game, but despite the substantial modifications to how the game works, it’s still Dr Mario.

I’ve never liked Dr Mario because it feels like the game demands constant attention and perfection from the player. Make a mistake with one pill, and you have to spend the next few minutes frantically trying to undo what you did. The mobile game is successful in getting rid of a lot of annoyances, and makes great use of the touchscreen, but I think it really needs an undo button.

I'm currently on level 200, which is the last stage until they release some more. I do agree with the idea of an undo button or even a 5 second rewind, one slip of the finger generally means the level is lost. But I love the way the levels ask the player to plan ahead, making it much more of a puzzle game than say the arcade type experience of the original. I'll definitely be revisiting completed levels to try to get 3 stars on as many as possible. 

The bonus stages - the ones with the time limits - are maybe the exception. I'm finding all of them very hard indeed...

This has probably been one of my most played games of the year, an amazing freebie.

• Upvote 2

Yep, I have reached  183 so far and it's incredibly generous for a FTP game. I've not felt once I needed to purchase diamonds, as I've always beaten a level with just perseverance and planning (and a little luck). It also doles out hearts and little freebies pretty regularly. Not sure how much they're making on this, but I would not have been dissapointed if I had shelled out money for this. Nice little time waster.

I was a bit snitty about this but I've revised my opinion and it's a pretty good puzzler. Ony playing it every now and again but it scratches an itch. Ridiculously I only just realised that you can multiple capsules in motion on the same screen. Idiot.

If all of the puzzles are doable without resorting to buying extra stuff, then I;m happy to keep playing it.

1 hour ago, Vorgot said:

I was a bit snitty about this but I've revised my opinion and it's a pretty good puzzler. Ony playing it every now and again but it scratches an itch. Ridiculously I only just realised that you can multiple capsules in motion on the same screen. Idiot.

If all of the puzzles are doable without resorting to buying extra stuff, then I;m happy to keep playing it.

In 199 single player levels I've used a 'continue' gem twice and the game gave me those for free. If you're stuck on a level it gives you some free perks after a certain number of retries too. Level 200 has me stumped though. 

• Upvote 1