rllmuk
Swainy

Konami announces mini PC Engine & Turbografx

I know very little about this mini, but since my sister is going to Japan early next year and on the off chance that there are still any available then.. will Japanese models have language options or will they be region locked to Japanese only? 

5 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

I know very little about this mini, but since my sister is going to Japan early next year and on the off chance that there are still any available then.. will Japanese models have language options or will they be region locked to Japanese only? 

That'll probably depend more on if she's there soon after launch than anything else (and if the shops get a decent stock and they don't sell out immediately like the NES & SNES mini etc. did..) Online preorders are only via that region's Amazon..

It looks like the board inside will be identical wherever you buy it, just the outer casing is different to reflect the machine that region got..

The games are all built-in (you presumably start it up in either Japanese or English mode and get a different set of games depending on which you chose) the power will be via USB, the video output will be HDMI - so they should work universally..

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jei said:

I'm super stoked for this. :)  Interestingly Amazon Japan(themselves not a reseller) actually have a bundle for all 3 region consoles together, including geeky t-shirts.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/コナミデジタルエンタテインメント-PCエンジン-mini/dp/B07V8BDZV7/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&keywords=pc%2Bengine&qid=1565362647&s=gateway&sr=8-1&th=1

£400!?!

The JPN edition looks so much better than the Euro one. Starting to think I should cancel my preorder and import the white version. Am I in for a world of hassle though?

Just now, Rex Grossman said:

The JPN edition looks so much better than the Euro one. Starting to think I should cancel my preorder and import the white version. Am I in for a world of hassle though?

No, super easy and fast

• Upvote 2

Yeah it's real easy and arrived in 4 days. Though I ordered the coregrafx one anyway as like that little grey unit quite a lot. 

I think I'm gonna just do that. Had the thing sat in my saved for later items on Amazon for what seems like forever. Every time I buy something and check my basket the thing is sat there mocking me with the currently unavailable tagline. I've actually enjoyed these mini consoles for introducing me to games from a period which I largely ignored. I've even played Adventure for several 10 minute sessions and learned DKC uses the musical hook from NES DK.

Shitty weather so I'm going to make progress in Ghouls 'n Ghosts on the MD and order the PCE Mini from Amazon JP and put it in my Mini tower of power at the end of my bed.

• Upvote 2

It is really frustrating waiting for this. 

I think I might sack this off and get it later down the line.

55 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

It is really frustrating waiting for this. 

I think I might sack this off and get it later down the line.

mine took less than 4 days from ordering to get here from japan

• Upvote 1

Whatever happened with the JPN version not dealing with PSUs very well? Tempted to get one and cancel my Core Grafx order.

I sent two back. Raspberry Pi PSU removed controller functionality from both. I don't know if they'll have fixed the issue on the EU one as it's likely the same board across the lot.

Be careful with your choice with PSU would be my advice. 

Random pc engine question: how did street fighter 2 work with only two buttons? (I am right about it only having two?)

1 hour ago, S0L said:

I sent two back. Raspberry Pi PSU removed controller functionality from both. I don't know if they'll have fixed the issue on the EU one as it's likely the same board across the lot.

Be careful with your choice with PSU would be my advice. 

Would have thought it requires proper testing to meet EU/UK standards for USB power like that?

1 hour ago, bplus said:

Random pc engine question: how did street fighter 2 work with only two buttons? (I am right about it only having two?)

I don’t know I’ve never tried it.  Most people bought one of these 

image.jpeg.361ceda0a1041a49d914f23eb77b772c.jpeg

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, bplus said:

didn’t you switch between kicking and punching, like the 3 button Megadrive pad?

• Upvote 1

Yes, you had to use either Run or Select to toggle between, I forget.  I soon bought an avenue 6 pad...

It's a superb version of the game.

I heartily recommend getting one from Japan. With regards to the plug issue I simply plugged mine into the TV's USB port and it works great.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Yes, you had to use either Run or Select to toggle between, I forget.  I soon bought an avenue 6 pad...

It's a superb version of the game.

Does it actually play better than snes or megadrive version?

Also I never understood why megadrive version didn't allow a 4 button setup (including start) with two punches two kicks .