Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

2 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Those people are tragic.

That said, there are fanboys in this very thread (and others) doing the same thing except it is 'my console is now better than yours' rather than the madness of a game being ruined as it is now on another platform. Tiring, playground level fools the lot of them..

It’s just such a weird mindset. Surely expanding the audience and making something more inclusive is a good thing. Asobo/MS may have made a misstep in some ways with the update but it’ll get fixed, and I have LOVED seeing all the Xbox owners here get to share the same experiences (both amazement and frustration) I’ve had over the last year. I can’t wait to get some group flights going. 

6 minutes ago, spanx said:

It’s just such a weird mindset. Surely expanding the audience and making something more inclusive is a good thing. Asobo/MS may have made a misstep in some ways with the update but it’ll get fixed, and I have LOVED seeing all the Xbox owners here get to share the same experiences (both amazement and frustration) I’ve had over the last year. I can’t wait to get some group flights going. 

Totally agree. It's not as if the game has been stripped back overnight and is now Ace Combat without guns. It is exactly the same but more folk get to play it so win win.

There is an awful lot of strangeness and insecurity involved in being bothered that the audience for such an incredible game has been broadened or being weirdly gloaty as is is something that other consoles do not have.  

I bought the Spitfire last night and had a great few hours blasting around the Highlands and Islands! Low level flying with it is great fun! Managing the prop pitch is a pain though as you need to select it in the cockpit, might need to get a keyboard and set up some extra keys. 

Bit disappointed in the wild life.

It spawns and if it’s a bird it flies in flocks towards your plane. If you try and turn the plane round the birds turns round so they are always flying towards you and they’re gone in seconds.

11 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Does anyone know how to spawn in a specific location rather than from a runway, please? 

just select a spot on the map an choose as departure point - you'll be in the air.

12 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Does anyone know how to spawn in a specific location rather than from a runway, please? 

You can press pretty much anywhere and just choose set as departure. If it's not a runway it just puts you there in the air.

Patch hasn't fixed things on my PC and I've tried lots of tips online to try to work around it (increased virtual memory, fixed frame rate to 30fps etc etc) but nothing helps. Very frustrating as the game was fine when I last played it a few months ago. 

13 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Patch hasn't fixed things on my PC and I've tried lots of tips online to try to work around it (increased virtual memory, fixed frame rate to 30fps etc etc) but nothing helps. Very frustrating as the game was fine when I last played it a few months ago. 

What problems are you having? I had a quick flight yesterday and everything seemed fine, although that G1000mxi mod was not successful (uninstalled for now)

28 minutes ago, Stanley said:

How are you finding the game on Series S? 

It's good. I think my expectations were sufficiently in check but I've enjoyed it so far and keen to put a couple of hours in today.

I'm impressed with it more from a holistic perspective. I haven't been blown away by the fine detail but I didn’t really expect to be. Offline data should be down now, so hoping for some little improvements. 

One thing I’m still not sure about is how you read wind speeds and direction, and then plotting your route downwind etc. 

I’m going to do a few little local loops to see if I can get a handle on it. 

22 minutes ago, spanx said:

What problems are you having? I had a quick flight yesterday and everything seemed fine, although that G1000mxi mod was not successful (uninstalled for now)

The game randomly crashes to desktop with no error message, usually on the loading screens, or I get a hard crash which requires a reset of my pc.  Just tried again and it loaded successfully and crashed while in the menus. 

Edit - I think I'm starting to see why this is happening  The game is pushing my GPU really hard, even while just in the menus.  It's hitting (or getting close to) the temp limit of the GPU which I think is then automatically shutting down the game.  I wonder why it's pushing it so hard when it's not actually in the sim??

12 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

The game randomly crashes to desktop with no error message, usually on the loading screens, or I get a hard crash which requires a reset of my pc.  Just tried again and it loaded successfully and crashed while in the menus. 

Edit - I think I'm starting to see why this is happening  The game is pushing my GPU really hard, even while just in the menus.  It's hitting (or getting close to) the temp limit of the GPU which I think is then automatically shutting down the game.  I wonder why it's pushing it so hard when it's not actually in the sim??

Might be our old friend crazy frame rate in menus? Mind you, you said you’d capped that. I’m still seeing the odd CTD too, but very infrequent (didn’t get one last night). 

31 minutes ago, spanx said:

Might be our old friend crazy frame rate in menus? Mind you, you said you’d capped that. I’m still seeing the odd CTD too, but very infrequent (didn’t get one last night). 

I think that's exactly what it is, just noticed some weirdness with the fan settings in MSI Afterburner so I've reset them to standard auto and that seems to be helping.  Fingers crossed I can start flying again 😬

Edit - nope, the game is totally fucked for me.  Even with a frame rate limit and the game getting nowhere near the temp limit of my card, I'm still getting crashing in the menus and while flying too.  My PC is stable with every other game I play, so it'll be a waiting game for more patches for me.  Frustrating when I've just re-subscribed to gamepass specifically to play this.

So I watched that Squirrel tutorial on stable flight and gave it a go. I was able to get stable but the sensitivity of the Trim controls is insane. Any touch of the stick immediately puts you at + or -1.6 degrees, which is a steep descent or climb in the Cessna. 

I don’t think there’s anyway to adjust Trim in the external view by default, either. 

Some of the stuff in this game is absolutely bonkers, “what were they thinking?” kind of stuff. 

Still loving it, though. Kind of makes me want a Series X. 

Just now, HarryBizzle said:

So I watched that Squirrel tutorial on stable flight and gave it a go. I was able to get stable but the sensitivity of the Trim controls is insane. Any touch of the stick immediately puts you at + or -1.6 degrees, which is a steep descent or climb in the Cessna. 

Some of the stuff in this game is absolutely bonkers, “what were they thinking?” kind of stuff. 

If you watch his first video specifically for Xbox he calibrates the controls for sensitivity which might help a bit, someone also included the settings earlier on in the thread. 

18 hours ago, TehStu said:

I saw someone take off from a body of water in Scotland earlier and I realized I can go literally anywhere but generally lack the imagination.

So, if you encounter some real gems, please do share!

I’ve been visiting some of the spots from this site:

https://flightspots.co

There’s a fortified town in Northern Italy, which was pretty, and had some lovely countryside around it. Also, Naples, Venice etc. There’s a mountain range in Pakistan that’s very impressive - all crinkly and compressed - as well as the Eye of the Sahara, in Mauritania. Lots of others too, that I’ve not visited yet. 

It can be a little hard to find them, as the map on the site doesn’t match with the one in-game. There are co-ordinates, but I’ve not tried putting those in yet - not that easy to do on a pad. I imagine it’s all a lot easier on the PC version.

Cheers, good link. 

I suppose that's my only disappointment with the game. There's significant detail disparity between the best locations and the non-descript areas. 

Tokyo is stunningly realised. Wuhan, not so much. The main roads look like dirt tracks. The stadium is a primordial swamp. The harbour looks like a Goldeneye asset. I go fishing a lot on the Tweed. Very fond memories. Looks like a PS2 rendition. 

Now, I'm not really criticising. The scope of this is incredible and the technology is remarkable, especially on the S, but it's an unfortunate fact that relatively few of the places I've visited have satisfied my memories. 

Beautiful flight over the Cape Town wine region this afternoon. Thankfully the hot fix, combined with a cache wipe and mod clear out, seems to be back to its old self for now. 

I love the clouds in this. It’s very easy to begin with to obsess over places to visit and see, low level as possible, and understandably so given the scope and detail, but once you get up above 10,000 ft it becomes another game entirely. I just find it so peaceful and relaxing, that is until my daughter doesn’t stop asking how much longer this goes on for forcing me to rage quit and leave the room :lol:

5 hours ago, spanx said:

I bet real pilots don’t have to deal with this shit

24FE65F0-3E8F-40F9-958E-ABE268D889F2.jpeg

That’s gonna be dangerous when you get the ejector seat installed. Must be next on the list. 

4 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I don’t think there’s anyway to adjust Trim in the external view by default, either. 

RB plus R stick up/down adjusts the trim in external view, but in the Cessna at least, it is very slow to move so doesn't actually seem like it's working at first. I haven't customised any controls other than reverse the camera so it is definitely on by default :)