Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

37 minutes ago, Fletch said:

My first flight I took off from a little airport near me where I went for a flight in my mums friends plane a while back. Flew over my house and down to Bristol (turns out you can't fly under the Clifton Suspension Bridge as it isn't there). 

I just took off from Tokyo to Osaka and did a lovely flight past Mount Fuji which was incredible but I was more gobsmacked about flying over my little town. 

Did you download the UK update? I took off from Bristol Airport and flew under the Clifton Suspension Bridge a few minutes ago, it’s a point of interest. However, the M5 near Bristol is hilariously broken. The Avonmouth bridge looks like cars have to jump 100 feet down to the motorway below. The upper split level of the M5 a few miles on resembles a gnarled worm. Motorways are filled with images of static cars taken when the camera car or drone went by, like flies trapped in amber. It’s amazing! The limits of Bing Maps data without the devs going in and tidying the area up, I guess. Can’t wait to do the discovery flights tomorrow to see the more bespoke work that they’ve done.

38 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Took off, found my house, tried to crash into it, bonked into the shared ownership block next door and landed upside down right ontop of the plaque to commentate the victim of that guy who drove a van from Wales to try kill Corbyn. Stunning. Switched over to carry on grinding up to level 99 on Yakuza instead.

4AB085F1-A73E-457F-93DE-4CDD4225187F.png

Mikeysoft Flight Simulator DLC. Seems like something nutters might pay actual money for. Fuck those nutters, though.

Had a quick shot of taking an A320 from LAX to Vegas. Amazed by how good it looks on console but I had to plug in a mouse so I could select all the different tools, it felt too clumsy with the controller. 

Flying smaller planes with just controller would probably work fine with practice. 

It's great to see something like this on console though. As is the norm these days it will just get better as updates get rolled out.

4 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Had no idea you could supplement controls with a mouse, especially on a console. I've got lots to learn.

On PC I played with M/KB and controller before I got the stick. Controller being used for the actual flying and I used the mouse for selecting things like landing gear, flaps, altimeter etc. 

Definitely the way to go with anything that uses an autopilot. Even just mouse and controller would probably be fine.

It's getting hammered here now, hard to even get it to load. I guess west coast are starting to get off work. Might give it a couple of days to let Azure have a breather.

I really enjoyed what I played. Did one session with live players and took off from Humberside, a small airport near my hometown. Flew to Manchester in a small little propeller plane. I saw the light from someone else's plane when half way, which was a magic moment.

When I got to Manchester, I didn't realise it would be so busy. I went in to land, got denied my landing, panicked and just landed on the grass next to the runway. A huge 747 was taking off next to me - must have wondered WTF I was doing. I was so scared I was going to ruin someone else's journey.

I definitely prefer doing shorter flights in smaller planes. The long haul stuff is dull, which is perfect really, as it totally is in real life too imo. Very realistic.

Managed to download the uk enhancements.

When flying through London there is a fair bit of pop in on the Series S. the frame rate still holds up perfectly fine but either it’s because the servers are getting hammered, as well as me downloading or the series S had reached what it could do with the available memory. I would add that the draw distance was pretty epic.

I still rate the Series S. the Xbox user interface can do one, just like the PS5 one but Microsoft made a very good ,very affordable machine.

City I live in seems to have had its aerial photography taken during different seasons or something, which is a bit weird as there will be a sudden border where the dry, yellowy fields shift to deep greens.

Took a nice flight over Hangzhou later, though.

I’ll try this later, but is it just a hardcore simulator, or is there completely unrealistic, easy leisure mode to get flying straight away with basically Lottie more than just direction and speed controls to worry about?  The last flight sim I played was on the Spectrum I think.

I just want to muck about for an hour or so, look for my house and see a few sights without needing endless tutorials first basically.

I think the servers might be down or something? Stockholm was more or less just a flat texture right now.

5 minutes ago, Stejay said:

I’ll try this later, but is it just a hardcore simulator, or is there completely unrealistic, easy leisure mode to get flying straight away with basically Lottie more than just direction and speed controls to worry about?  The last flight sim I played was on the Spectrum I think.

I just want to muck about for an hour or so, look for my house and see a few sights without needing endless tutorials first basically.

As easy as you want it, just pick a spot on the map and fly. You can even pause and have a look around with a drone camera if you want to take a closer look at things. 

15 minutes ago, Stejay said:

You can even set the ai to do everything for you for that. I'd do the UI tutorial first as it's not especially obvious how it all works. After that you can just pick a spot and spawn a plane in midair and have the computer fly it for you if you want. It's perfect for that. 

Anybody found a suitable controller binding for active pause? I guess I could plug in a wireless keyboard but I'm liking the couch flying with the controller.

Like most, the world updates were crawling last night, so I ended up doing a quick tutorial refresh, flying over my house, and doing some landing challenges. Annoying the updates are still in-game though as it's what put me off the PC version. Every time I booted it the game would spend 45 mins updating and by the time I got into the flying I'd be out of time :D

I’m at work and went outside and looked up

at the sky and the clouds thinking, I’ll be flying through those later. What a wonderful thing, love that whole live weather thing. 

2 hours ago, Quest said:

City I live in seems to have had its aerial photography taken during different seasons or something, which is a bit weird as there will be a sudden border where the dry, yellowy fields shift to deep greens.

Took a nice flight over Hangzhou later, though.

Cheers for this info. I'm mostly curious about what data they have for China. I just assumed it would be crap without access to Baidu data or something. Is it decent? 

I had all my plans for first flights and what I'd do but after several hours of watching download progress updates on & off they went out the window and instead of starting in training modes just lumped straight into the map and spawned in locations - the youtube hours came in handy as knew kind of how this worked and how to click the left stick to call up certain menus. 

It's jaw dropping to watch - first flight was into Melbourne as my other half likes going there and not been for a while. I spawned a bit far out of town but got our bearings using her phone and google maps and spotted the city skyline in the distance, she was getting all shouty spotting parks, roads and the cricket ground she knew.

Then I spawned in Canary Wharf and instead of flying into central london as planned I decided to recreate my old car commute in the air, following the roads to see if I could find home, which was actually pretty easy to do as the roads are obviously all in the correct place. 

When you are over areas you know higher is better as the buildings will mostly not be visually correct, but its the landscapes that nail it so well and sell it often - a big section of the Lea Valley park where we walk the dog in had every path perfectly rendered which instantly gave us a great bearing on where we were, even if the M25 didn't look quite so spot on.

It's an incredible achievement. 

5 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I had all my plans for first flights and what I'd do but after several hours of watching download progress updates on & off they went out the window and instead of starting in training modes just lumped straight into the map and spawned in locations - the youtube hours came in handy as knew kind of how this worked and how to click the left stick to call up certain menus. 

It's jaw dropping to watch - first flight was into Melbourne as my other half likes going there and not been for a while. I spawned a bit far out of town but got our bearings using her phone and google maps and spotted the city skyline in the distance, she was getting all shouty spotting parks, roads and the cricket ground she knew.

Then I spawned in Canary Wharf and instead of flying into central london as planned I decided to recreate my old car commute in the air, following the roads to see if I could find home, which was actually pretty easy to do as the roads are obviously all in the correct place. 

When you are over areas you know higher is better as the buildings will mostly not be visually correct, but its the landscapes that nail it so well and sell it often - a big section of the Lea Valley park where we walk the dog in had every path perfectly rendered which instantly gave us a great bearing on where we were, even if the M25 didn't look quite so spot on.

It's an incredible achievement. 

London’s ok once you get the world update. Southampton is just great.

Just now, footle said:

London’s ok once you get the world update. Southampton is just great.

Canary Wharf and central london are, but once you head out of town on the main roads it drops back to more generic quite fast, I'm going to test it today and fly off out in different directions I know North & West after my journey East last night.

Anyone else purchase the premium deluxe version? For some reason, in-game it only shows as owning the premium version which has half the airports of the premium deluxe one. 

Also can't seem to download or update any content. All it keeps doing is trying to download again and again about a dozen times or so and then says "package failed".....getting a bit frustrating.

7 hours ago, Lupin Central said:

When I got to Manchester, I didn't realise it would be so busy. I went in to land, got denied my landing, panicked and just landed on the grass next to the runway.

Actual real life LOL from me!

Now this is a first, my wife has just texted asking if it’s possible to go to Ireland “in your game” - she has never, ever expressed interest in any games before, so result! 

16 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Now this is a first, my wife has just texted asking if it’s possible to go to Ireland “in your game” - she has never, ever expressed interest in any games before, so result! 

Aside from Lego Harry Potter, my better half never has either but I intend to wow her with this when I finally get it.

"Where shall we go on holiday, dear?  Shall we take a quick look......?"

9 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Is there easy way to invert the right stick camera settings? I can’t find the option. 

I don't think there's the usual 'invert control' tick box. I just remapped the individual direction controls to be the right way round. (On PC)

The look of the game at night is incredible, they've absolutely nailed the look of streetlights on tarmac, and ambient light on buildings. I once flew into City Airport at night, and this is uncannily accurate. The only issue is that tall buildings look weirdly shit at night - the skyscrapers in Manhattan and Canary Wharf look rubbish (at least, the generic AI ones do).

After all the downloading, got to flying last night and loving it.

It's clear that the default terrain system looks at the 2d satellite imagery and takes a stab at what's there, but it's the first iteration of flight sim where it's been absolutely easy to fly with just looking ouit of the window and all the roads and rivers are right, and the genaral countours.

IN terms of "making your own fun" what I;ve decided to do is start doing a tour of the UK in short hops, flying to and from places I;ve visited, using the Flight Design CTLS.

So, last night, I flew from the tiny strip just outside Banbury (My nearest airfield) to RAF cosford (this meand flying over birmingham) , then this morning did a hop from Cosford to the Gliding Club in Usk (near where my in-laws live). And I think from there i'm going to have a look at Cardiff and then maybe head out to west wales and so on.