Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

I had a quick flight over NYC this morning just to get a gauge on the current performance in order to measure how much, if any, gains the patch brings to PC later. 

Even on a pretty sturdy PC it was taxing - flying low and relatively fast amongst the skyscrapers of midtown I am closer to 20fps than even 30fps and fast banking saw that drop to 15 fps. Fingers crossed that will get better later but, to be fair, it was still playable at around 20fps. Manhattan is an extreme case example and  in non densely modelled city areas I'm getting 40-55fps. That's with pretty much everything maxed out or at high settings and at 4K so I guess I could improve that if I could be bothered to go through the multitude of graphics settings. Really though, 30fps is plenty adequate for 95% of the flying in this...

I did find out that screaming through the streets at 50ft AGL is akin to the assault on the Death Star and certainly the most stressed I've been in the game as the plane feels twice as wide when that close to the buildings . Best streets I found for this were Park Avenue from the North,  where it is a railway, down to the Met Life building and also the midtown cross streets from around 41st to 45th street. Take a sporty, nimble, little prop plane and it's a blast.

As an aside, I am sure that in the early days the Chrysler Building was not modelled. I looked into it at the time and, IIRC, some building owner do not allow their properties to be represented virtually without fees, or at all, and I;m sure this was cited as an example. Anyways, it is all present and correct now, maybe since the USA World Update but I've not been back to NY since the first week or so of playing the game so no idea really.

26 minutes ago, Fletch said:

This is great, looking forward to playing it when I get home and not feeling jealous of all you working from home peeps. 

Well, with it not unlocking until 4PM. you're not missing much.

11 hours ago, Mike S said:

You really don't need a Hotas to play the game and I would highly recommend everyone try the game before throwing money at peripherals as, for all it's eye candy, it will definitely not be for everyone. Pre release of the PC version last I was very close to buying a stick and throttle as I had convinced myself they were essential but I've since found that I'm perfectly happy pootling around with a pad (plus M+K to make life a little bit easier on menu screens and so on). 

6007605393_cb36f06e3c_z.jpg.9fde0735dd8cab3d77b3fdedf46aba70.jpg

@Mike S keeping my fingers crossed the update can deliver a more stable 30+ FPS at big busy airports with the airliners like the A320. The fact they’re offloading more to the GPU and actually deferring the cockpit screens to dedicated thread(s) should massively help. But I am also primed for mild disappointment. And also all my sodding mods to be broken again. 

You have options to have live traffic (eg AI controlled aircraft following live flights) or Live players, which means it’ll sync other players in the vicinity. I’ve had a few close calls with other pilots deciding to land just as you’re finalising take off. 

17 minutes ago, spanx said:

@Mike S keeping my fingers crossed the update can deliver a more stable 30+ FPS at big busy airports with the airliners like the A320. The fact they’re offloading more to the GPU and actually deferring the cockpit screens to dedicated thread(s) should massively help. But I am also primed for mild disappointment. And also all my sodding mods to be broken again. 

I hadn#t even considered the extra CPU impact of modelling all the systems of a big jet and a big airport! Mostly as my current plane of choice is so basic that the only electronics in the cockpit are the lights and the radio/ All my gauges and controls are lovely, tactile, analogue and mechanical and the vast majority of my flights are nowhere near busy airports.

24 minutes ago, simms said:

6007605393_cb36f06e3c_z.jpg.9fde0735dd8cab3d77b3fdedf46aba70.jpg

YMMV of course but in the nine or ten months I've been playing this, at a very casual level I should point out, I have never felt the need to buy a stick and throttle. And that is despite my almost exclusively flying the few planes that actually have sticks rather than yokes.

31 minutes ago, RFT said:

Well, with it not unlocking until 4PM. you're not missing much.

That was my point, normally on launch day you have to wait and just read about others playing but today it's all at the same time. 

23 minutes ago, spanx said:

I assume the skies are going to be full of people not respecting airport approach rules this evening. Bloody Xboxers

;)

I’ll be there 4.10pm attempting to land a 747 upside down in the Hudson. 

From what I've seen the first hour of this will be spent in the menus tweaking settings, finding the world updates to download and generally fiddling

At least thats my plan, don't think I can just plug in a stick I've never used and try to fly around London cold without a good time fiddling with the game a bit first.

26 minutes ago, spanx said:

You have options to have live traffic (eg AI controlled aircraft following live flights) or Live players, which means it’ll sync other players in the vicinity. I’ve had a few close calls with other pilots deciding to land just as you’re finalising take off. 

Oh, I didn't know it had multiplayer. 

Can you fly about with friends or does it just plonk you in with people who may be flying in the same area as you said? 

10 minutes ago, Ry said:

Oh, I didn't know it had multiplayer. 

Can you fly about with friends or does it just plonk you in with people who may be flying in the same area as you said? 

Ive seen Twitch streamers organising events where people fly a route together

Here: 

To counter the peripheral chat I've just found some pedals on ebay for a mere £20 over retail so I bit the bullet and ordered them too to go along with my HOTAS one.

I want the closest to real experience possible, I've done quite a few microlight flights IRL and I want to replicate that as best I can. Obviously a plastic flight stick isn't really replication, but you know what I mean.

With that in mind, which view are people favouring? Most of the videos I've seen seem to favour the external view, but I plan on spending the majority in the cockpit. Will be nice to take in the views externally mind you.

This looks incredible, obviously but removing the money shot of a crash scene or even basic explosion is very disappointing considering how many peoples houses I want to fly into.

30 minutes ago, spanx said:

Ive seen Twitch streamers organising events where people fly a route together

Here: 

There's always one dickhead who turns up to a Cub flight in a Lear jet!

Oh Microsoft you wankers. Thought I'd take a chance and see if it would start up and it actually loads the splash screens and goes into the game before showing a message about being excited about the game. Normally if you try and load a game early, it goes straight to a black screen telling you it's too early to play. 

4 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Oh Microsoft you wankers. Thought I'd take a chance and see if it would start up and it actually loads the splash screens and goes into the game before showing a message about being excited about the game. Normally if you try and load a game early, it goes straight to a black screen telling you it's too early to play. 

You can stay for the sweet tunes though.

1 hour ago, spanx said:

So presumably the options for griefing are there? Asking for a friend