Jump to content

Microsoft Flight Simulator


tronied
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, footle said:

Or any use of any RTX features, and it’s been there for a few updates now.
 

well, ok,  but  DLSS would give a real performance improvement. hontestly, i dont see the need for ray traced reflections in flight sim, but, dlss performance improvements, yeah!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, footle said:

Or any use of any RTX features, and it’s been there for a few updates now.
 

Apparently it’s because the streamer uses a 3080, and nvidia partner a bit with asobo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

well, ok,  but  DLSS would give a real performance improvement. hontestly, i dont see the need for ray traced reflections in flight sim, but, dlss performance improvements, yeah!


Actually in cockpit it’d be great - the screen space reflections look brilliant at night until you rotate your view a bit then they disappear. RT would definitely help the immersion there

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, layten said:

Big performance boost incoming. 

 

 

 

Wow, that is some pretty great optimisation. I assume a consequence/side effect of getting the game working on consoles? Either way, I'm happy for the GPU to pick up some slack as I have more headroom there than with my CPU.

 

Anyways, I have been enjoying flying over Iceland recently even if the lack of a proper map makes it hard to pinpoint and fly over the exact features I want to see. The tree generator needs reigning in a bit too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

I’m really looking forward to this. I have no idea why. It just looks so chill, though I bet it’s the opposite in practice :) 

It is very chill. Outside of landing, everything in flight sim happens slowly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read a summary of the performance changes that the video above talks about. 60 fps on a specific part of NYC versus 40 fps, for the same settings. Shifted a lot more to the GPU. I suppose having a fixed spec to optimize against (i.e., the XSX) helps the PC, too. Not moved to DX12 yet either, so that should help performance again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, TehStu said:

I read a summary of the performance changes that the video above talks about. 60 fps on a specific part of NYC versus 40 fps, for the same settings. Shifted a lot more to the GPU. I suppose having a fixed spec to optimize against (i.e., the XSX) helps the PC, too. Not moved to DX12 yet either, so that should help performance again.

They’re not sure DX12 will make much difference. It rarely does outside of very specific cases.

we should also be careful with “at the same settings”: it was a deliberately heavily CPU bound config that hardly anyone would use - scaling about 1080p’s worth of pixels up, naively, to 4K, and there was a suggestion that the performance monitoring had a lot more data coming down in the first scenario (which causes cpu spikes) and the data was cached in the second. The positive is if they’ve managed to fix their main thread to get rid of judder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

This is up for preorder now on Series X|S and it’s £59.99 for the base version (£47.99 with Game Pass) and there are two other versions, Deluxe & Premium Deluxe at & £79.99 (£63.99 with GP) and £109.99 (£87.99).

 

Deluxe has five extra planes and bespoke airports and Premium has ten of each. 
 

I’d really like the Premium because you get Heathrow in that, and I fancy the Cairo airport too, very expensive though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seriously, just go with Game Pass to start. The ten twenty planes you get as default cover all your bases and you can upgrade at a later date if you love it. I’m still running on the “free” version after a year (although will buy at some point, couple of planes I’d love to fly now). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

This is up for preorder now on Series X|S and it’s £59.99 for the base version (£47.99 with Game Pass) and there are two other versions, Deluxe & Premium Deluxe at & £79.99 (£63.99 with GP) and £109.99 (£87.99).

 

Deluxe has five extra planes and bespoke airports and Premium has ten of each. 
 

I’d really like the Premium because you get Heathrow in that, and I fancy the Cairo airport too, very expensive though. 


Yeah, I really want Heathrow too… but will play the GP version and see if I’m going to get into it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Stanley said:

This is up for preorder now on Series X|S and it’s £59.99 for the base version (£47.99 with Game Pass) and there are two other versions, Deluxe & Premium Deluxe at & £79.99 (£63.99 with GP) and £109.99 (£87.99).

 

Deluxe has five extra planes and bespoke airports and Premium has ten of each. 
 

I’d really like the Premium because you get Heathrow in that, and I fancy the Cairo airport too, very expensive though. 

 

 

Yeah, as @spanx says I'd avoid paying those premium prices and stick with the 'free' base game as there is more than enough enjoyment to be found there. 

 

Unless you are planning on solely flying loops out and back from Heathrow and Cairo I'd paying a premium for the airport upgrades seems hard to justify. I've found that the world looks best from 3-5000ft so rarely benefit from the more detailed modelling that the various world updates have given us over the last year or so even though they are, of course, very nice free content to have. I've also only used three or four of the planes too but that's probably more because I just use the game as a nice relaxing sight seeing sim... 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, I’ll put the money towards that controller instead (the one they previewed recently) and then I’ll probably buy it anyway!
 

Im wondering, do the deluxe or premium versions guarantee any future content to be added at no extra cost, or is it solely those additions listed? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Ok, I’ll put the money towards that controller instead (the one they previewed recently) and then I’ll probably buy it anyway!
 

Im wondering, do the deluxe or premium versions guarantee any future content to be added at no extra cost, or is it solely those additions listed? 

It’s solely those additions. All the updates so far have been free to all users: they’re a means of expanding the user base/keeping engagement and then people will buy third party dlc.

it’s a very different type of game/platform to those you’re used to.

 

Do Not Buy The Premium or Deluxe Editions just for a Modelled Heathrow or a Dreamliner.

(I’m not even sure I could tell you I’ve bothered to fly from any properly modelled airport - I’m much more likely to fly from the nearest flight strip that’s six miles from some point of interest that I’m interested in; and it’ll be a while before a casual player will know the difference from the airbus (too complicated to fly) and a Dreamliner anyway)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Ok, I’ll put the money towards that controller instead (the one they previewed recently) and then I’ll probably buy it anyway!
 

Im wondering, do the deluxe or premium versions guarantee any future content to be added at no extra cost, or is it solely those additions listed? 


Yeah a good controller will be a vastly better improvement to immersion than the upgraded editions. I have only spent about £600 on my setup so far 😬

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, spanx said:


Yeah a good controller will be a vastly better improvement to immersion than the upgraded editions. I have only spent about £600 on my setup so far 😬

Jesus Christ! Is that just on the controller side of things? You must love it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Jesus Christ! Is that just on the controller side of things? You must love it. 


Yeah. Well I bought the Warthog HOTAS setup and that was great, but I didn’t like the stick so much so flogged that and bought a Virpil stick instead which is amazing. Then I bought a bunch of rotary encoders and a board and made my own dial box too. Don’t regret a single £

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, SteveH said:

There is a punch card up for this now on MS Rewards with 6000 points earned if you pre-order.

Not bad that, it’s basically another fiver discount on top the GP discount. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, spanx said:

Seriously, just go with Game Pass to start. The ten twenty planes you get as default cover all your bases and you can upgrade at a later date if you love it. I’m still running on the “free” version after a year (although will buy at some point, couple of planes I’d love to fly now). 

I think we just need this pinned so we can keep pointing at it.

 

do not preorder, even for a £5 discount: it’s very different from most games and you’ll either get obsessed (at which point £5 will be neither here nor there) or shrug (at which point you’ll have not spent an unnecessary £60-£100).

 

and if you already knew you’d get obsessed you’d have bought it last year on pc while doing an upgrade and replacing your perfectly reasonable £3-400 flight stick with a £600 bespoke german thing…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know I’ll be obsessed, I’m just not really a PC kind of fella anymore, but maybe this game will change my mind. I’ve spent more time than I care to mention just watching YouTube videos of it! 
 

Does anyone know when that new Turtle Beach controller is being released? I have the T.Flight Hotas One but the TB looks quite nice. 
 

This.

E95F0EFA-E237-4E8C-BAEB-B72184AB2171.jpeg.ec86b6a5f4548e913084a3edcb88500e.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've never played a flight sim in my life but want to get obsessed by this - just pootling about sightseeing. 

 

I'm looking up all manner of controllers and dlc too but need to just calm my skin down and play the base GP version first - proving hard though as I used to drive by London City every morning and want my first flight to be from there so will be disappointed if its not photo realistic accurate looking !

 

Am I correct in assuming it has a div mode where you fly as simply as you would in say Pilotwings with all the flaps and other pilot things handled for you ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

I’d really like the Premium because you get Heathrow in that, and I fancy the Cairo airport too, very expensive though. 

 

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Yeah, I really want Heathrow too… but will play the GP version and see if I’m going to get into it.

 

Heathrow is still in the game, as you would fly over or land onto it, it just isn't modelled to 100% reality with building locations, which is what the deluxe upgrade gets you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, footle said:

 

 

and if you already knew you’d get obsessed you’d have bought it last year on pc while doing an upgrade and replacing your perfectly reasonable £3-400 flight stick with a £600 bespoke german thing…


Hah! 

 

Also, it’s from Belarus not Germany. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m going to Cairo later this year, or next year depending how things pan put 😬 That was my reason for wanting the extra accuracy, so I could compare it to the real thing :ph34r:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I know I’ll be obsessed, I’m just not really a PC kind of fella anymore, but maybe this game will change my mind. I’ve spent more time than I care to mention just watching YouTube videos of it! 
 

Does anyone know when that new Turtle Beach controller is being released? I have the T.Flight Hotas One but the TB looks quite nice. 
 

This.

E95F0EFA-E237-4E8C-BAEB-B72184AB2171.jpeg.ec86b6a5f4548e913084a3edcb88500e.jpeg

You can sign up here for notification of when orders go live. But no date mentioned yet sadly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I've never played a flight sim in my life but want to get obsessed by this - just pootling about sightseeing. 

 

I'm looking up all manner of controllers and dlc too but need to just calm my skin down and play the base GP version first - proving hard though as I used to drive by London City every morning and want my first flight to be from there so will be disappointed if its not photo realistic accurate looking !

 

Am I correct in assuming it has a div mode where you fly as simply as you would in say Pilotwings with all the flaps and other pilot things handled for you ?

There’s a £10-15 orbus London city airport pack, if you must have it 100% accurate. I posted a screenshot over Canary Wharf for London with both the free U.K. world update (be interesting to see if that’s bundled by default with the Xbox release - the approach taken to world updates and patching is definitely not console friendly) and the £6 orbus London landmarks pack, if that helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.