rllmuk
Cosmic_Guru

Baldur's Gate 3 - ceremorphosis from Larian (TBA)

Mindflayer!!!!

How the events of the video relate to the story of Baldur's Gate 3, Swen Vincke wouldn't say. It could be something which happens at the outset, could be something which happens midway through, or could be something which doesn't happen at all.

But we do now know this about the setting: "The events from Baldur's Gate 1 and Baldur's Gate 2 have passed," Vincke said. "Stuff has happened in the world." And the newly announced - "not by coincidence" - Dungeons & Dragons campaign, Descent into Avernus, will directly precede Baldur's Gate 3. "That is a new official chapter in the history of Forgotten Realms and we're going to be there."

Larian actually originally pitched for Baldur's Gate 3 back when Divinity: Original Sin 1 was in development, but Dungeons & Dragons owner Wizards of the Coast thought the Belgium studio too green, too inexperienced, Vincke said. Funny to hear that now, given the enormous success of the Original Sin series - and evidently Wizards soon cottoned on to what Larian could do. "During DOS2, they reached out to us and said, 'Do you still want to do it?'" Vincke said, to which the obvious answer was: "Yes - of course." 

Baldur's Gate 3 is a big project - bigger than I expected. "We're about 200 people now, internally, working on this," Vincke said, "and we have over 100 people externally and that's only increasing. It's a very big game.

"The trailer should tell you a lot about the production values we're going for - it is at a higher level than what we did for DOS2," he added. "How high a level I will let you discover when we show the first gameplay footage," which, before you think-ask it, will be shown "when it's ready to be shown". 

No kickstarter and no publisher this time.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-05-its-true-divinity-studio-larian-is-making-baldurs-gate-3

• Upvote 7

A great developer working on a new entry in a beloved, long-dormant series sounds like something that should really have me enthused, but I find myself oddly ambivalent about the whole thing. Not because I don't trust Larian to deliver, but more that I don't feel that BG itself brings much to the table: both games are classics, still satisfying and enjoyable in their own right, but it's not really the setting that makes them special.

I'm still looking forward to seeing what Larian make, but I don't know what the Forgotten Realms will really add, aside from the name recognition factor.

Shenmue 3?

Spoiler

Haha, who am I kidding, that would never happen.

7 hours ago, Wiper said:

A great developer working on a new entry in a beloved, long-dormant series sounds like something that should really have me enthused, but I find myself oddly ambivalent about the whole thing. Not because I don't trust Larian to deliver, but more that I don't feel that BG itself brings much to the table: both games are classics, still satisfying and enjoyable in their own right, but it's not really the setting that makes them special.

I'm still looking forward to seeing what Larian make, but I don't know what the Forgotten Realms will really add, aside from the name recognition factor.

Agreed. While I was never less than entertained by the main stories of Baldur’s Gate 1&2, the world they were set within felt very generic swords and sorcery - dragons, dwarves, elves, the undead, etc. Personally I feel they should let the series die as the Baldur’s Gate name (in video games at least) is so tied in with the ‘bhaalspawn’ storyline that it seems wrong to go on without it. I’m sure there will be more than a few references to the bhaalspawn war, but even so. 

Fucking hell! This is a dream come true :omg: and Larian of all people. You couldn't ask for better than that :wub:

Hmm. I like Baldur's Gate, and I like Original Sin 2, but I don't really like the way this looks. It's too shiny and 3D, from those screens. The environments and HUD in particular look like something from Original Sin 3, rather than an old 2D Baldur's Gate game. Should've gone with more of a retro look imo.

• Empathy 2

I'm hoping the HUD is something that's further down the line. Going from Baldur's Gate character portraits to what's shown there is a big step down. As for everything else it's hard to tell from just screenshots but it looks more like D:OS3 than BG3. Hope that's not the case.

Just now, Cosmic_Guru said:

I believe there is gameplay being shown at Pax East this weekend so more.will be revealed soon I imagine. 

Today at 8:30!

3 hours ago, ann coulter said:

Hmm. I like Baldur's Gate, and I like Original Sin 2, but I don't really like the way this looks. 

Aldi might make a game for you soon?

1 hour ago, Hamus said:

Aldi might make a game for you soon?

You're going to have to explain that one for me.

Very mixed thoughts on the screenshots ☹️

It looks a lot like Divinity Original Sin 2.5 rather than what I imagined BG3 would look like. i imagine these are taken from early footage so hopefully the BG aesthetic and feel will come. 

Really disappointed by the preview. They’ve made Original Sin 3 but in 5th edition. There’s not a single bit of Baldur’s Gate about any of it.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I am... disappointed :( 

I know this may not bother other people so much, but if BG1 and BG2 are RTWP (Real time with pause), why would you break with that for the 3rd? It's like changing Age of Empires 4 to become more Civ-like. Don't get me wrong, I think turn-based has really made a place for itself recently with the Divinity Original Sin games, but changing this games mechanics especially for a well known franchise like this is pretty unforgivable. They should have just created another Sin game as others have said.

Maybe I've been spoilt too much by Pillars of Eternity. At least I've still got the second one still to play...

• Upvote 1

Maybe, but just as a counter argument- perhaps the turn based system as used is closer to the 5e rule set?

After all the RTwP system was used initially as a compromise in adapting the table top game from its turn based origins. Perhaps the feeling is they can manage a faithful version without losing playability? I think it looks great, personally.

I think it could be a cool game, but it's not just a D&D game, it's a Baldur's Gate game and that comes with expectations.

I really like rtwp and I'm pretty disappointed they've decided to go turn based, but it's not a deal breaker. It's more that there was nothing in that hour or so presentation that looked anything like Baldur's Gate. It's Divinity Original Sin. 

This is probably heresy, but an Original Sin game in the Forgotten Realms with a 5e ruleset is basically a dream come true for me. :ph34r:

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, Mogster said:

This is probably heresy, but an Original Sin game in the Forgotten Realms with a 5e ruleset is basically a dream come true for me. :ph34r:

Yeah I think it'll be fun for people who enjoyed Larian's recent stuff.