rllmuk
djbhammer

Call of Duty - Modern Warfare

12 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Played solidly since launch, every night and every weekend, not had a single laggy game.

I lost my mind at Virgin Media once about my connection being intermittently slow, turned out I'd forgotten about my Backblaze backups uploading when I was working on massive 3D renders and comps that were all getting backed up. That was pretty humbling. So just check you have nothing chewing your bandwidth before you blame the servers because they are rock solid in my experience.

Yeah no issues here and on virgin..

Theres the odd "no way, I fired first" moment. And thats definitely lag

10jjhg.png

That is my Internet, measured on my phone.

I run an Asus router, the PS4 is connected to the 2,4Ghz network and my NAT is open.

I just played a quick game of BLOPS 4 and it played just fine. 60 ms ping and no other issues.

Screenshot_20191113-110525.png

I rarely get below 60 ms ping on any COD game. European BFV servers are around 35 ms.

It will be wired once we get around to moving the kids rooms. :-) Until then I am stuck with WiFi.

• Upvote 1

I've got pretty terrible 10mbps Sky Broadband and haven't experienced an iota of lag on this. It takes me three days to download every time they decide that Shotgun's OP but it runs pretty perfectly. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, mexos said:

My NAT is moderate, should I jump through the hoops to sort it out? Is it worth it?

Only if you are having trouble partying up with friends is it worth it.

I’ve always found the net code fairly bad in COD vs other AAA shooters, but changing that never made it much better for me.

actually the bad net code over the years is why I ended up playing hardcore in previous CODs. Due to the low health and usually one/two shot kill, it cuts down on bullshit connection-related hit registration. So anyone who is struggling with a bad or seemingly bad connection should give hardcore a try. It will go one of two ways - you may actually enjoy it, or it may prove to you one way or another that your connection is or isn’t a major factor. 

Personally, I’ve found the net code and hit reg in this COD to be marginally better than previous CODs. I’d be keen to see what the server and client refresh rates are - because in BO4 they were poor and it had a big impact on net code performance IMO.

87828B93-42C4-4849-B543-44C8A409B95E.png

This NAT thing has always popped up. It used to be that my console would show as moderate for COD alone and then I would follow the instructions to change it to open and have to do it all over again annually for each subsequent entry in the series.

Same this year except now I leave it and don’t think it’s made any difference.

Shield players are a headache, I found jumping above their shield and shooting them in the head works. 

I have had only a handful of laggy matches, my main irritation is the way the matchmaking definitely likes to put me in matches with fucking esports-esque ninjas from time to time if I have had a few good games in a row. It's crazy. All your teammates kill everyone before you get there then you get shot in a nanosecond when you finally see someone. It isn't lag, just my slow reactions compared to those players. 

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

60 ping on that speed doesn't sound right. Have you got anything wireless between your console and the router? Is wiring in an option?

Ping is generally a measure of how far you are away from the server, not a measure of bandwidth.

Though saying that 60ms of ping from Sweden to CODs European servers sounds on the high side (I'm in London and ping 10-15ms to London servers, 80ms to NYC servers).

Based on testing of my kit, Wifi might add 20ms of ping though. More if you use a mesh network or other wifi extender set up (add roughly 25ms per extra node between your console and router).

@koefoed What about powerline? I recently got a TP-Link TL-WPA9610KIT (more reliable than older models in my house's not great wiring). I ping 35ms to Apex's London servers via Wifi, 15ms using the powerline.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Shield players are a headache, I found jumping above their shield and shooting them in the head works. 

Good players always beat the shield. But its great in objective modes, you die alot but help secure points that otherwise can be a real pain.

3 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I'm not a good player, so I unload and panic then start jumping haha. 

This is what makes it so entertaining! The panic is brilliant. But there are games where you mainly get hit with a sticky bomb and its game over , my new tactic if this happens is to sprint at them as fast as possible so we both die :) 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Strategos said:

This is what makes it so entertaining! The panic is brilliant. But there are games where you mainly get hit with a sticky bomb and its game over , my new tactic if this happens is to sprint at them as fast as possible so we both die :) 

Molotov best vs riot shield.

• Upvote 1

More compelling ping chat!

Seems to have been rock solid for me since launch and my ping is all over the shop and varies from game to game. 

Ping test via wired laptop, I average out between 15-20. Kids playing Fortnite via wi-fi on a PS4 upstairs, around 20 feet away, they get 20-30. CoD on my PS4 connected wired via a Powerline adaptor and I usually get a sub 45 ping match (is there a way to see true ping on PS4?)

I'm on Virgin with a 350mbps line and get anywhere between 45-250mb in practice. Never anywhere near 350 unless I run a direct test via the Nighthawk 

What this all means I have no idea except that the internet is a difficult fucker but I've not noticed any real lag in CoD but then I never notice in Destiny either and that uses P2P. 

@Soi

Used that before I had fibre installed. Tried it after (even bought new better ones) but it severely limits my speed, could never get more than 30mbit. Old house, old wires. :-)

Hopefully it should be better once I get everything running on cable. MW tells me I have packet loss (indicator on the left of the screen) and but a game like BFV plays fine on the same PS4 without any packet loss.

Hopefully I will have everything running on cable when PS5 hits.

BTW just played a game of Ground War that was really good. So the quality varies a lot for me.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, powerline will limit bandwidth, and mine also caps out at around 30mbit. 

But I’d rather have less ping and packet loss (WiFi is also bad for packet loss - and it can depend on things like your neighbours using a microwave). It’s not like I need more than 30mbit for PS4. 

Anyone else had a bug where your killstreaks reset to the default loadout mid match? Was confused when suddenly I had personal radar. 

Another update? Seriously?! 

I’ve hardly played this game because whenever I do go to it requires another bloody download!

Also why are downloads on PS4 so slow? It takes about 5 mins just for it to ‘prepare to download’.

And then 5hrs to download 3Gb

• Empathy 3

5 hours ago, Soi said:

Yeah, powerline will limit bandwidth, and mine also caps out at around 30mbit. 

But I’d rather have less ping and packet loss (WiFi is also bad for packet loss - and it can depend on things like your neighbours using a microwave). It’s not like I need more than 30mbit for PS4. 

Yeah, my powerline knackers my DL speed but infinitely more reliable in keeping a connection than wi-fi and the ping is on a par. If I'm downloading anything to my PS4 I'll switch to wi-fi. 

I try to keep interference to a minimum and I usually play at night when the fam are all in bed so all phone chargers and dishwashers are all switched off and it usually holds it together. Every few weeks though it will just go through a spell of being massively shit (like, <1mb shit) for a few days and then it will randomly just fix itself. There must be some appliance in the house fucking it that I don't know about :sherlock:

• Upvote 1

Expected not to enjoy the new smaller map (Kill House?) but I loved playing Kill Confirmed and Domination on it last night - using the RPG to clear out enemies from their flag (got me a triple kill and best play of the match) and being super sneaky on Kill Confirmed by hanging back and waiting for the enemies to collect Dog Tags then WHOOMP with the RPG, it's just endlessly entertaining mindless fun to me. I absolutely love this game.

Best way to take out a tank quick in Ground War: chuck two thermite grenades at it followed by an RPG.  Before anyone inside knows what's happening, they're dead and you're pissing yourself :D

8 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Expected not to enjoy the new smaller map (Kill House?) but I loved playing Kill Confirmed and Domination on it last night - using the RPG to clear out enemies from their flag (got me a triple kill and best play of the match) and being super sneaky on Kill Confirmed by hanging back and waiting for the enemies to collect Dog Tags then WHOOMP with the RPG, it's just endlessly entertaining mindless fun to me. I absolutely love this game.

Headquarters is absolute madness on that map, great fun. 

Anyone getting sign in errors this morning on PS4?

A required network service has failed

I need my morning hit :quote:

1 hour ago, idiwa said:

Anyone getting sign in errors this morning on PS4?

I need my morning hit :quote:

Signed in okay here but this is an hour after you posted.