rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

4 minutes ago, df0 said:

What’s the difference between this and the Oculus Go?

It's got proper tracking and touch controls and i believe a better screen.

I'm very interested, although probably not day 1. I have an original retail Rift, but the idea of a self contained one is very appealing. 

I'll be interested to see how well it's supported going forwards compared to the Rift S, which I guess will depend on how well it sells.

Really interesting, in-depth video here.  Only issue I see, is that because the controllers are different to the CV1's, that there are now two different control types - the CV1 vs the Quest and S (which are not compatible?) for different games.  Bit of a weird decision that fragments the base even more...

Looks good though, although I think I'll plump for an S, as I have a PC sitting there.  Seems silly to go for a Quest if I have one.

15 minutes ago, df0 said:

What’s the difference between this and the Oculus Go?

better screen

more powerful

6 degrees of tracking inc tracking in 3d space using front mounted cameras on unit

Front mounted cameras which you can use to set guardian space to walk aroudn in etc (because of the extra tracking)

two touch sensor controllers with full tracking gubbins instead of single remote with no accelerometer.

its 399!

I am buying one day one. cable free all in one appeals to me especially with superior tracking to PSVR (which is infuriating at times) =- the games look great, Superhot is not great on PSVR and looking forwar dto it cable free on Quest.

I had Oculus rift for PC but something went wrong after a big oculus software update and the headset just wouldnt work with my pc anymore, not even a replacement so I sold it.

Quest will have no such problems and I have psvr for tethered powerful games (and sony exclusives like No Mans Sky)

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

Really interesting, in-depth video here.  Only issue I see, is that because the controllers are different to the CV1's, that there are now two different control types - the CV1 vs the Quest and S (which are not compatible?) for different games.  Bit of a weird decision that fragments the base even more...

Looks good though, although I think I'll plump for an S, as I have a PC sitting there.  Seems silly to go for a Quest if I have one.

I'm only going for Quest as my PC (i7 with 1070) just doesnt work with oculus software anymore - god knows why - and standalone means my son can play it in lounge etc... free open play

As for the contollers - I believe that they are the same barring the design of them - the buttons work same and it tracks the same the hoop bit is on top not bottom so cameras can see them but that's is it... so no difficulty supproting both as they are interchangeable in terms of programming them in games - it is pure trakcing tech means ring has to be on top/bottom depending on which system you have.

So not compatible i.e. you cant use rift s controllers on rift - but basically the same.

This seems like it might be the jumping in point for me and several other people I know. Not having to have an expensive PC and wireless are the key factors. I have access to wired oculus through work but don't use it because of the tethering and not being able to use it with my laptop. I've used the gearVR more to be honest, for watching things like netflix.

not much - snapdragon 835 same as a galaxy s8

but checkout Superhot video and others to see that it does look very good in action

Are you restricted to the games on their Store? The Go allows side loading of movies which is very nice because you’re not restricted.

Carmack on twitter in March said sideloading worked same as on the Go

But I understand it isn't that straight forward on Go (you have to have a developer account?)

For movies? I read that as well and that put me off, but then I learnt about Android Transfer Tool. Connect the Go via cable to the Mac/pc, allow access and simply drag and drop.

I'm not sure how comfy the new ones will be but I couldn't watch a movie on my rift, I don't see the point of be uncomfortable and hot for 2 hours when a big TV is just fine.

Unless we are talking about a different kind of movie you might watch for 10 minutes, in that case you need the SLR app. :eyebrows:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, df0 said:

For movies? I read that as well and that put me off, but then I learnt about Android Transfer Tool. Connect the Go via cable to the Mac/pc, allow access and simply drag and drop.

oh right well Carmack said sideloading was same as the Go - and both Go and Quest are android so I am guessing they use same software/OS approaches etc.

That does look fantastic for £399. Beat Sabre and Moss I haven't played so it's very tempting. I love PSVR but the cable and blurriness definitely count against it.

Concerns:

- will it be supported with AAA games;

- will they release a better version 1 year later;

- will Sony trump this with something better (or as good as) with PS5.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mawdlin said:

That does look fantastic for £399. Beat Sabre and Moss I haven't played so it's very tempting. I love PSVR but the cable and blurriness definitely count against it.

Concerns:

my predictions

1) Has there been a AAA VR game :D?  Realistically these are made at a loss given the install base and the investment needed for AAA games so likely to be platform exclusive paid for by the platform holder. I would predict that any AAA that oculus pays for will have versions for all its headsets.

2) 2 years later would be my prediction as it is a bigger pricetag than Go so they will be looking for longer life here - asking people to drop $400 every year is a bit tricky I think. But it is a danger and obviously if we wait for a year we could jump in and still have it replaced in a year :)

3) Yes PS5VR headset is going to be better - and it better have decent controllers! - but it will still have a cable.

I want Quest for the stuff that needs better tracking and for more social play in main family room etc. And I prefer short arcade style games these days anyway

18 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

Concerns:

- The launch line up is impressive enough. Hopefully with it being the most accessible VR headset ever released it’ll get decent support too. But we’ll see!

- Undoubtedly. They’ll surely upgrade the mobile chip every 1 or 2 years. But you could get one now, or spend forever waiting for the next upgrade ^_^

- It’s a different experience for me. I won’t be able to play WipEout or Astro Bot on the Quest, but the experience of playing those stand up/open world games like Superhot will be unparalleled.

7 hours ago, Mitchell said:

The controllers don’t differ in layout, just in where the band goes, I though?

Quest is 1600 x 1440 per eye

PSVR is 960x1080 per eye

both are OLED and pentile

Oh but note that PSVR is 90/120hz and Quest is only 72hz - which might mean you are more susceptible to motion sickness apparently due to lower refresh rate.

reviews I have read say that Superhot definitely looks sharper than on any other headset which is promising.

just have to temper expectations as it doesn't have the grunt to do the complex effects - so Thumper for instance while sharper is missing some visual effects to keep framerate up to snuff.

And that is also the reason for the 72hz refresh rate as well.

What's the launch line up?

Whilst it does look impressive it's not going to capable of running Elite Dangerous or No Man's Sky.

https://uploadvr.com/quest-50-launch-titles-list/

but no it won't be able to do those two - PSVR can't even do E:D.

Some good stuff there though. The fact it can do Moss, Superhot, I expect you to die and Robo recall is encouraging. I think plainer stylised content will work better - and I prefer that in VR generally.

edit : here is list for those who cant click through

1. Angry Birds VR: Isle of Pigs, Resolution Games
2. Apex Construct, Fast Travel Games
3. Apollo 11, Immersive VR Education
4. Bait!, Resolution Games
5. Ballista, High Voltage Software
6. Beat Saber, Beat Games
7. Bigscreen Beta, Bigscreen VR
8. Bogo, Oculus
9. Bonfire, Baobab
10. Box VR, Fit XR
11. Creed, Survios
12. Dance Central, Harmonix
13. Dead and Buried 2, Oculus Studios
14. Drop Dead: Duel Strike, Pixel Toys
15. Electronauts, Survios
16. Epic Roller Coasters, B4T Games
17. Face Your Fears 2, Turtle Rock Studios
18. First Contact, Oculus
19. Fruit Ninja VR, Halfbrick
20. Guided Tai Chi, Cubicle Ninjas
21. I Expect You To Die, Schell Games
22. Job Simulator, Owlchemy Labs,
23. Journey of the Gods, Turtle Rock Studios
24. Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, Steel Crate Games
25. Moss, Polyarc
26. National Geographic VR Explore, Force Field VR
27. Nature Treks, Greener Games
28. Ocean Rift, Dr. Llyr Ap Cenydd
29. Oculus Browser, Oculus
30. Oculus Gallery, Oculus
31. Oculus TV, Oculus
32. Oculus Video, Oculus
33. Orbus VR, Orbus Online
34. PokerStars VR, LuckyVR
35. Racket Fury: Table Tennis, Pixel Edge Games
36. Rec Room, Against Gravity
37. Robo Recall, Drifter Entertainment
38. RUSH, Binary Mill
39. Shadow Point, Coatsink
40. Skybox VR Video Player, Source Technology Inc
41. Space Pirate Trainer, I-Illusions
42. Sports Scramble, Armature Studios
43. SUPERHOT VR, SUPERHOT Team
44. The Exorcist: Legion VR, Developer Wolf & Wood, Publisher Fun Train
45. Thumper, Drool
46. Tilt Brush, Google
47. Ultrawings, Bit Planet Games
48. Vader Immortal, ILMxLab
49. Virtual Desktop, Virtual Desktop, Inc.
50. Virtual Virtual Reality, Tender Claws
51. VR Karts, Viewpoint Games
52. VRChat, VRChat
53. Wander, Parkline Interactive

• Upvote 3

Superhot doesn't seem to be on that list? :(

It's gotta be crossbuy, surely?  

This is looking like my Xmas present to myself for this year :D 

I wonder if Beat Saber will allow you to load community creations onto it?

While there is talk about this being cool for party play the lack of a social (screen obviously) makes this seem very much a solo experience.