rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
metallicfrodo

Ghost Giant (PSVR)

So has anyone picked up Ghost Giant, it's getting pretty good reviews as noted up thread. Just wondering how long it is.

Edited by gospvg
New thread & added trailer.
  • Upvote 1

4 scenes into Ghost Giant and it really is a little bit special. It feels a bit more like an interactive story as you don’t control the main protagonist, but my goodness it looks lovely.

Played another hour and a half of Ghost Giant this morning and I think I'm getting nearish the end.

It really is a wonderful game and I think another must play on PSVR (and another reason to own moves, as that is the only control scheme). I think if I am near the end it's probably going to be shorter than people might like for a 20 quid game but for me personally it's certainly given me enough to be worth that. It is a stunning looking and sounding game. The script for the characters is great and well delivered (in some ways in reminds me of The Sexy Brutale, although it's nothing like that game), and the music is just lovely. You need to have your camera postitioned right as with all move related games so that you can reach everything that you might need to, but that's just a bit of upfront house keeping. It has the same niggles that most games have where you can pick stuff up in that things occassionally clips with other items but in generally it's well handled.

The game is split into little scenes, you essentially have a static postition in the scene (although you can usually click turn the camera 90 degrees to the left and right) but essentially you are watching what goes on between different characters and then you have to solve simple puzzles to help your little friend out (he is the only one that is aware you are there). Once this is done you click on a little sign post and load to the next area etc... It's fairly simplistic at that level, but the little scenes are so beautifully designed with houses you can look into and things to find/pick up it's just glorious to look at. Loads of incidental details that just make you smile at points. Probably the closest experience to this I have 'played' would be Allumette, although in this you actually interact with what is going on.

When I think of VR there are a number of types of games that are out there. There are the car type games as it were. The ones where you sit in a form of transport and move around (Wipeout, Ultrawings, Dirt Rally all fall into this catergory), and essentially represent something that you do as an adult in a way (driving/flying). Then there are your first person games (i.e. Skyrim, Resident Evil, Borderlands, Statik) which all essentially have you in a world but as yourself, if that makes sense. Then there are the toy box games which I think Astro Bot and defintiely Ghost Giant fit into. They are the games that to me recreate the joy of being a child and physically playing with toys. Those lego houses you built and played out stories with the characters, or the cardboard fort you made and filled with your toy soldiers and had battles with an invading army. These games take that and wrap all that imagination around you to create a world where you are still the kid looming over your toys, but they really have come to life and they really are interating with each other, not just lying there on the ground as you concentrate on the bit of the story you are play acting at the time. That to me is the true magic of VR, not driving futurist racers, or fighting off undead hordes, it's being a child again and my toys actually talking to me....

• Upvote 4