rllmuk
JPL

Avengers: Endgame - BIG SPOILERS TOPIC - You have been warned!

Watched this again the other day. It’s like a trip down Avengers memory lane, the greatest hits. Didn’t really think that first time round. Enjoyed it still though. Shame in a way they nerfed Hulk and Thor so much. The bit where Thanos is sitting outside school waiting for a fight is kind of awkward. The bit where hulk is holding up all the fallen building reminded me of that secret wars comic where he’s doing the same under a mountain. It could have been a hint as to how strong he can really be depending on the circumstances but I don’t think that scene really got it across well, they were just squirming underground for a bit until regular sized man turns big.

Watched this last night as a rental. My wife and I got an hour and a half into it before we agreed we were both bored as batshit. Half way into it and nothing really grabbed us. I'd managed to ignore any spoilers about the film and was looking forward to seeing it. 

We were going to watch the second half this morning but I think I'm going to clean the windows of the house instead. :mellow:

Meh etc. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

10 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Your loss

No, not really. It's just my oppinion. Happy that yourself and others enjoyed it and rewatch it, but for me it fell so flat I really could not be bothered to finish it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, idiwa said:

Watched this last night as a rental. My wife and I got an hour and a half into it before we agreed we were both bored as batshit. Half way into it and nothing really grabbed us. I'd managed to ignore any spoilers about the film and was looking forward to seeing it. 

We were going to watch the second half this morning but I think I'm going to clean the windows of the house instead. :mellow:

Meh etc. 

What did you think of Infinity War? After seeing it, how curious were you to find out what happened next?

I ask because it sounds like it didn't get you invested enough to seek out Endgame at the cinema.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nick R said:

What did you think of Infinity War? After seeing it, how curious were you to find out what happened next?

I ask because it sounds like it didn't get you invested enough to seek out Endgame at the cinema.

I tend not to go to the cinema anymore; the experience for me is... Different now. In the past when I had a Cineworld card I saw over 70 films in a year. Now I'm lucky if I go once a year. Though I did go to see the final cut of Apocalypse Now a few weeks ago.

Infinity War seemed all over the place and I felt like I should have rewatched everything before seeing it. As it stands I think the only one I've not seen is Dr Strange. Speaking to friends this morning about it they had me down as someone who just wasn't into Marvel but I really enjoyed Ironman 1 & 3, the Thor films and Captain America (as well as Guardian's). 

I wanted to see Endgame to get some closure to the series and I'd gone to great measures to avoid work place spoilers and all that shit. But last night both of us were sitting with some wine and assorted nibbles looking forward to it and then...fttt. 

Horses for courses and all that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Similar here. Avoided spoilers since April, don’t do the cinema much anymore. I watched it last week, and it passed the time, but was disappointed overall. Felt much the same about all the Avengers films bar the first one, which I really like (Whedon factor maybe). I get excited for them and admire the spectacle, but never really find them that engaging. But then Deadpool is by far my favourite supes film.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

3 hours ago, idiwa said:

I tend not to go to the cinema anymore; the experience for me is... Different now. In the past when I had a Cineworld card I saw over 70 films in a year. Now I'm lucky if I go once a year. Though I did go to see the final cut of Apocalypse Now a few weeks ago.

Infinity War seemed all over the place and I felt like I should have rewatched everything before seeing it. As it stands I think the only one I've not seen is Dr Strange. Speaking to friends this morning about it they had me down as someone who just wasn't into Marvel but I really enjoyed Ironman 1 & 3, the Thor films and Captain America (as well as Guardian's). 

I wanted to see Endgame to get some closure to the series and I'd gone to great measures to avoid work place spoilers and all that shit. But last night both of us were sitting with some wine and assorted nibbles looking forward to it and then...fttt. 

Horses for courses and all that.

You watched approximately 20 movies, roughly 40 hours worth of your time, and at the very end you decided “nah fuck it, cant be arsed with the next hour to find out how this concludes”? The mind boggles.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Endgame isn’t reeeeeally the “conclusion” of the entire MCU so far. It’s the conclusion to Infinity War, sure, but most of the other movies have perfectly satisfying conclusions of their own (barring a thirty second coda of “ooh who’s the purple guy”). You’re not  really left hanging. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

Endgame isn’t reeeeeally the “conclusion” of the entire MCU so far. It’s the conclusion to Infinity War, sure, but most of the other movies have perfectly satisfying conclusions of their own (barring a thirty second coda of “ooh who’s the purple guy”). You’re not  really left hanging. 

There is an over arching narrative that is concluded.  Anyone paying attention would surely want to see that resolved?

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

It's not the end of the MCU no, but it is for certain characters. It's very much a conclusion of what was started between 2008 and 2012.

• Upvote 1

Rewatched it again this evening, it’s great. Some fantastic fan moments & epic finale. I love you 3000.

• Upvote 5

On 08/09/2019 at 09:05, idiwa said:

Meh etc. 

I felt similarly when I watched it. It's a slow burn, and pretty confusing at times - like I'd forgotten what had happened in the stinger at the end of ant-man and the wasp so I was totally confused as to how he was even there, had to go look it up which took me out of it a bit. I even left it at the halfway mark as it was late and it seemed like it had an awfully long time to go at the pace, which is probably a first as far as my filmwatching goes. 

Watched the second half the next night and it was ABSOLUTELY FUCKING AMAZING and I was kicking myself for not sticking with it because it'd have woken me right up just from the sheer exhilaration of it all. 

I watched this again for the first time since seeing at the cinema at the weekend. I really liked the closure that some of the characters got in the second act but the third act really is superb. It really did feel like an immensely satisfying conclusion to 22 films worth of investment. In particular, the moment from "on your left" to when Cap delivers his line had the hairs on my skin standing on end. Even now actually. 

• Upvote 3

Fab movie. A little slower than Infinity war but the character beats are fantastic. Didn't love Nebula, and Thor was lame and the Cap v Cap fight was daft. But pretty much everything else was fucking fantastic. And I'm not a massive MCU fan. This and infinity war are just fantastic Sci Fi movies.

• Upvote 2

It's a mostly decent movie, it just has pacing issues. I thought Infinity Wars was a much more satisfying film.

The final act full of fan service was amazing and one of the best action scenes from a Marvel film, even if a bit too much was going on!

I doubt it would fit into my top 5 Marvel movies.