rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5 - Mark Cerny reveals even more details in second WIRED exclusive

10 hours ago, Alex W. said:

“It’s also a better PS4” is a good sales pitch, especially early on. I know I’ve said this before, but if Xbox 360 compatibility had landed a little earlier I would’ve been seriously thinking about an Xbox One this gen.

Yeah the only time back cat is important is before launch. 

It might not be a better PS4; we don't know if the BC is going to be complete, or whether games will even run to PS4 standard. It could be like on the 360, where you had a handful of games that run at variable levels of accuracy. It seems like it's going to be better than that because they are building it in at an early stage, but even then you might get technically challenging games running slower on the new hardware. I wouldn't necessarily assume you can just chuck your PS4 away. 

51 minutes ago, K said:

It might not be a better PS4; we don't know if the BC is going to be complete, or whether games will even run to PS4 standard. It could be like on the 360, where you had a handful of games that run at variable levels of accuracy. It seems like it's going to be better than that because they are building it in at an early stage, but even then you might get technically challenging games running slower on the new hardware. I wouldn't necessarily assume you can just chuck your PS4 away. 

The PS5 has an updated version of PS4's CPU and GPU.  The PS4 also has a very straight forward memory architecture.  Back compatibility won't be entirely free to implement due to the low level access that Sony provides developers.  It's worlds easier than 360 on XBone though.  We should see 100% compatibility.

• Upvote 3

By "better PS4" in this case I was thinking the simple fact that it'll play newer games; so long as it's got a reasonably high degree of compatibility, particularly with more recent games that'll be an easy sell. Even something as limited as Xbox-on-360 compatibility was "good enough" in that regard.

• Upvote 1

How much ram will next gen have?

with these ssds being so fast can they get away with 16gb?

x box one x being a true 4K machine has 12gb

or has the cost come down so much they will go with 32 or 64 gb?

32 minutes ago, bumgut said:

Well up until the last minute, PS4 was meant to have 4GB RAM. It was doubled to 8 so late in the day that lot of developers for the launch games didn't know it had happened, and so their games were designed to work with 4GB.

We won't know about how much RAM is in the thing until very close to launch.

On 12/10/2019 at 10:08, Vemsie said:

For me, it's not really between Xbox and PlayStation next gen, as I already have a PC with better than next-gen specs, so no need for a nextbox. So, things I'd like to see on PS5 are more games in the vein of Bloodborne, Demon's Souls, TLG, Death Stranding and Astro Bot, improved PSVR and Naughty Dog making Savage Starlight.

Titles like GoW, Horizon and Spidey are fun, but not games I buy a console for personally.

When this gen winds down I'm tempted to look into PC stuff, but I'll wait and see. Next-gen needs that exclusive experience (well, preferably several of them) that pushes me into a purchase (e.g. with Bloodborne this gen.)

Also I hope that the PS5 is revealed with tech videos of dinosaurs and Reiko Nagase ;)

Spoiler

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bumgut said:

I don’t think they will be going 32GB. Something like 12 or 16. DDR5 still isn’t cheap. Also these things use one RAM pool for everything rather than like a PcC which has separate VRAM. 

Chunks of it are still locked off for the OS underneath. Xbox One X has 3GB reserved for the system, which was a reduction from the originally planned 4GB. (Thought the OS is still slow as a dog, so perhaps they should have kept it as 4GB :coffee:).

On 11/10/2019 at 16:36, HarryBizzle said:

I ended up with all 3 consoles at a time where gaming was my main and only real hobby. I’d like to take a crack at getting through the next gen with just one console. Though I doubt I’ll manage it. 

I say this every generation. Then along comes some black friday sales and my brain says "oh my god Amazon must be absolutely bananas selling that console with that much knocked off, think of the money you're saving now, you know you'll buy it eventually anyway" and then I regain consciousness and there's suddenly 3 current gen consoles sat under my tv or spread out around the house. Another good excuse is "the kids will want to try one of these". My eldest for a while had all his friends on PS4, the younger was all in on Xbox. I had no choice.  The kids made me do it. *cough*

• Upvote 4

On 11/10/2019 at 09:59, HarryBizzle said:

I just don't get much use out of it. I might want to play TLOU2 and Death Stranding but I'm happy to wait and play them on PS5. Between my Xbox One X with Game Pass and Switch I've got far too much to play in the little time I have. Since moving house about a month ago, I haven't even bothered plugging it in.

Thats fair enough.  Even if neither don't get a PS5 release you will be able to play them via BC.  I just don't have the patience to wait playing DS or TLOU2 :)

13 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

I hope my PS4 Pro makes it to the PS5 launch. Bloody thing sounds like an apache helicopter when playing HDR stuff.

I hope Sony sort out this problem with PS5. I'm sick of hearing the PS4 fans on full blast when playing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

I hope Sony sort out this problem with PS5. I'm sick of hearing the PS4 fans on full blast when playing.

I think this will be about the only thing that would make me hold off for a bit for the second revision. I hate the amount of noise they make. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, womblingfree said:

I hope my PS4 Pro makes it to the PS5 launch. Bloody thing sounds like an apache helicopter when playing HDR stuff.

mine sounds like an Apache Indian, it's all like boom shack-a-laaack

seriously though it's loud as fuck :seanr: 

Hopefully the improved airflow of the Big V design will make for a quieter unit.

There's juicy rumors that Sony are aiming at full back compat with all previous PS consoles. 

Just imagine.

I'll be happy if that emerges as a decent chunk of each machines catalogue on PSNow, but if they make it disc-based too, then Sony have instantly sold me a PS5.

19 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

There's juicy rumors that Sony are aiming at full back compat with all previous PS consoles. 

Just imagine.

I'll be happy if that emerges as a decent chunk of each machines catalogue on PSNow, but if they make it disc-based too, then Sony have instantly sold me a PS5.

Pipe dream, I can't see that happening with the older consoles. PS4 yes but nothing before that.

4 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

My launch PS4 Pro has started to become really noisy & I have to play with headphones now.

The noise of my pro was the reason I sold it and purchased a slim model. Much quieter and overall a much nicer looking design. I travel a fair bit so it's also handy to be able to take it with me easily enough too. 

There's so many PS exclusives I want to play but I've only got a base PS4 so won't really get them at their best. Since this announced backward compatibility I've held off getting a Pro and will put the money towards a PS5 instead. 

What I'm saying is I bloody hope they do incorporate BC now, the bastards.