Jazz Glands

The first one is by far the worst one

Inspired by the 'the first one is still the best' topic, which games do people think had middling or downright poor first entries followed by infinitely superior sequels?
I guess the theory with game sequels is that with the advance in technology plus often a bigger budget to play with after a relatively successful debut, the sequels should be superior (unlike movie sequels), but we know by the other thread this isn't always the case. So what games surprised you, after a poor debut entry?

I'll start by suggesting Assassin's Creed. First one, whilst pretty, was fairly rubbish, but the sequel was (and still is) one of the best in the series, improving on the first in pretty much every area.

GTA (and to a lesser extent 2) was an ok 2D PC/PS1 game, until 3 came along and, taking everyone by surprise, completely redefined the genre.

• Upvote 5

Far Cry. The first half was alright but the monsters in the second half were awful to fight against. Each Far Cry since has been way better in its own right, even if the series has stagnated a bit.

• Upvote 3

This happens more in videogames than in any other medium I would argue, due to the pace of hardware development. There are some exceptions of course, But by and large you would expect the sequel to be an improvment.

Plus, If a new IP is successful, then the sequel invariably gets more money and resources thrown at it

The more I think the more there are tons of games where the first isn't the best.

3 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Far Cry. The first half was alright but the monsters in the second half were awful to fight against. Each Far Cry since has been way better in its own right, even if the series has stagnated a bit.

Just Cause 2.  I imagine a lot of the late gen Xbox era games which then had a sequel in the 360 era will be the ones which are most improved by the later hardware. 

• Upvote 1

Like you said, games are sort of the opposite of movies in this regard.  "The first one was the best" would be very much the norm in terms of movies and "first one was the worst" is pretty much the norm in games.

Anyway, The Witcher. The Witcher 1 is considered borderline unplayable at this stage, whereas The Witcher 3 is The Witcher 3.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

This happens more in videogames than in any other medium I would argue, due to the pace of hardware development. There are some exceptions of course, But by and large you would expect the sequel to be an improvment

The more I think the more there are tons of games where the first isn't the best.

Sure, and this is possibly a rubbish thread as a result, but I was thinking of games where the first one is either average or plain bad and a sequel comes along that blows away all expectations.

Rsdio named Street Fighter > Street Fighter 2 and this is a great example :)

Titanfall maybe?  The online only nature of the first made me dismiss it and then the second appears with a campaign which is up there with the very best of them.

Perhaps not therefore the worst but definitely the first game does not assist with selling the much improved campaign of the second game.  How many people were surprised that Titanfall 2 even had a campaign mode after the first game? 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Uncharted.  First one was pretty average even when first released but the series has gone from strength to strength.

The original is my favourite and while the series has improved technically, I think it's become old and fat. Uncharted 4 is my least favourite by some margin.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Struggling with this one.  Parodius is ace. and so is Gradius/ Nemesis :)

Not the first Parodius, on MSX and the PSP compilation.

Kirby's Dream Land. Yes, it's the beginning of everything, loads of people played it and it has the iconic Green Greens theme... but the sequels did so much more. KDL1 is one of the few Kirby platformers where he doesn't have his signature copy ability, which immediately removes a lot of the appeal... and the game itself isn't really that complex compared to the others. 3 had Gooey and the animals, and even 2 had a primitive version of the copy ability.

I considered mentioning Rock Band because 2 and 3 just went above and beyond with the amount of extra content and new features, but that's still a good game in it's own right. :) 

• Upvote 2

If we dismiss, as we rightly should*, the second entry in the series: Super Mario Bros. 3. 

The first one wasn’t bad, far from it, but SMB3 improves on it in every way and arguably has the best ‘handling’ in any 2D Mario. 

*SMB2 was obviously just more of the same in Japan, and a much weirder game over here, so 3 is the real ‘sequel’ !

5 hours ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Uncharted.  First one was pretty average even when first released but the series has gone from strength to strength.

Agreed. Well, Golden Abyss is probably even worse.

7 hours ago, Timmo said:

Assassin's Creed has to be a good one, then? The first was basically a tech demo.

It’s what I was about to post...

7 hours ago, bum said:

Not the first Parodius, on MSX and the PSP compilation.

The first Parodius is a great little game, one of the reasons why I keep the Konami MSX Collection for the Saturn at hand. 

Nobody will ever say the original Street Fighter is a great little game.

• Upvote 2

Zone of the Enders and Killzone for sure. There's probably a large number of people that have only played the sequels, and that's as it should be.

edit - also, Populous and Speedball

• Upvote 1