rllmuk
JohnC

Chernobyl (HBO/Sky)

Just want to throw more hearts on the love pile. This is tremendous television. Character, mood, art design, photography. I love that there's no swearing or gore and yet it is completely adult. 

Superlative so far.

• Upvote 3

Just another thumbs up for the podcast. It’s bloody brilliant. Incredibly insightful and articulate, and adds loads of fascinating detail on the real event and the choices they made in its dramatisation.

It is as excellent a podcast as the show is a TV show. If you know what I mean.

• Upvote 2

I knew about the helicopter accident already, so I was expecting it to be the usual dramatic presentation, perhaps a shot or two of the pilot wrestling with the controls, someone noticing the crane just as it's too late.

So to see it play out from a distance, in almost total silence, was unexpected. Then later came the discussion of what would happen if the fissive material reached the water tanks.

Yeah. A helicopter crash is nothing.

Can't wait for episode three now.

• Upvote 2

This is superb tv.  Only issue I have is with the ludicrous voice over the Sky announcer gives at the end promoting next weeks episode.  I noticed it last week, but think it was even more ridiculous this week.

4 hours ago, Waggo said:

This is superb tv.  Only issue I have is with the ludicrous voice over the Sky announcer gives at the end promoting next weeks episode.  I noticed it last week, but think it was even more ridiculous this week.

If this is the only criticism we can find, you know it's top tier TV ;)

• Upvote 1

Oh hang on I thought this would be full of grimly realistic body horror from people exposed to radiation? That’s the only thing putting me off - I’m a wuss with that kind of thing. 

Tension and existential dread I’m fine with. 

14 minutes ago, jonamok said:

There’s not that much gore really. No profanity. Just a lot of tension and existential dread. A lot.

Thanks, will see if she's interested

1 hour ago, Pob said:

Oh hang on I thought this would be full of grimly realistic body horror from people exposed to radiation? That’s the only thing putting me off - I’m a wuss with that kind of thing. 

Tension and existential dread I’m fine with. 

Not really - it's cleverly done, but it's not mega gory.  A few people vomit a lot but otherwise it's the tension and looking at events unfold when you know they're fucked.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Not really - it's cleverly done, but it's not mega gory.  A few people vomit a lot but otherwise it's the tension and looking at events unfold when you know they're fucked.

Cool, sign me up for some misery!

• Upvote 1

Just now, the_debaser said:

That bit about the water tanks superheating and ruining half of Europe was terrifying. If it’s true those three guys at the end are bona fide heroes. 

It was true

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Boothjan said:

Just don't do what I did and eat curry whilst watching episode 1.

You're putting me off again now. Or was it just curry-consistency vom? 

Just now, Pob said:

You're putting me off again now. Or was it just curry-consistency vom? 

No, just that I had a vindaloo and I swear it tasted metallic whilst I felt a burning sensation in my stomach.

I guess it was like watching it in 4D. 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

No, just that I had a vindaloo and I swear it tasted metallic whilst I felt a burning sensation in my stomach.

It's a little known fact that it's dangerously high levels of radiation that give vindaloo its heat.

• Upvote 2

So I've caught up now, this is glorious. Almost starts like a horror and feels like it. The science seems spot on, as does the attention to detail. I've often geeked out about the disaster with other Physicists and I've always wondered what the column of ionised air would look like.

The metallic taste is your tongue disintegrating. Grim.

I should point out that in the disaster multiple automatic fail safes were overridden, it was very much a human mistake.

I recognise ever single actor, which is distracting but that's the cost of getting older. Big ears has turned up in line of duty, game of thrones and this. What's going on? She's had pretty bad luck in all three shows too.

Only thing I can't work out is how a thermal explosion could ever be so powerful, that's not exaggerated though is it? Unless they are saying the thermal explosion would be enough to trigger a chain reaction, but that wouldn't work unless it's contained. Anyone?

I think the argument on the thermal explosion (as I heard it on podcast) was its in a compressed area so essentially was a huge bomb, and would be enough to take out the other 3 reactors which they’d left running as were powering Kiev.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

So I've caught up now, this is glorious. Almost starts like a horror and feels like it. The science seems spot on, as does the attention to detail. I've often geeked out about the disaster with other Physicists and I've always wondered what the column of ionised air would look like.

The metallic taste is your tongue disintegrating. Grim.

I should point out that in the disaster multiple automatic fail safes were overridden, it was very much a human mistake.

I recognise ever single actor, which is distracting but that's the cost of getting older. Big ears has turned up in line of duty, game of thrones and this. What's going on? She's had pretty bad luck in all three shows too.

Only thing I can't work out is how a thermal explosion could ever be so powerful, that's not exaggerated though is it? Unless they are saying the thermal explosion would be enough to trigger a chain reaction, but that wouldn't work unless it's contained. Anyone?

It would depend on the size of the water tank and I would imagine the tank in question was probably huge. So it would be a massive explosion. It would also have dispersed shit loads of radioactive materials in the form of dust and water vapour (shit loads even relative the how much had already been released). So I think a lot of the worry about it would have been more that it was giant dirty bomb, rather than the actual blast being particularly harmful. 

And the real kicker is that there were three other reactors still running at the same site so a huge explosion probably would have fucked those up too.

The last one didn't get shut down until the year 2000.

Think about that. 

• Upvote 2

It must have been weird going to work in a site containing that. And the last one to shut down was the one next to the big pile of death.

13 hours ago, Nosejam said:

I have these recorded, sounds like a pretty grim watch; presumably it would it be unsuitable for our 13 y/o daughter? 

We’re watching with our 14 year old and he’s totally hooked. The show has triggered his interest levels in a way that has him researching the facts and reading about the actual incident. 

• Upvote 6

Watched ep1 and it was amazing.

I do wonder in these productions that show Soviet life how trumped up the bureaucracy and sheer drudgery is. It felt like it was bordering on satirical, like Yes, Minister or Jarhead or something, how foolish everyone was acting, but delivered in a serious tone. I've no doubt of the systemic failures that lead to things like this happening (as they do everywhere) but would the moment-to-moment behaviour have been quite so brazenly idiotic?

That said I watched it straight after The Virtues and the life of a working class guy in modern-day Liverpool didn't look any better.

I've never known a show where the podcast that sits alongside it is almost a mandatory listen to add to the enjoyment - its not that the show leaves anything out, just that the podcast fills in the details and answers every time you ask the 'really' question. 

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Pob said:

Watched ep1 and it was amazing.

I do wonder in these productions that show Soviet life how trumped up the bureaucracy and sheer drudgery is. It felt like it was bordering on satirical, like Yes, Minister or Jarhead or something, how foolish everyone was acting, but delivered in a serious tone. I've no doubt of the systemic failures that lead to things like this happening (as they do everywhere) but would the moment-to-moment behaviour have been quite so brazenly idiotic?

That said I watched it straight after The Virtues and the life of a working class guy in modern-day Liverpool didn't look any better.

Maybe this will come up later, but if you know more about the details of what caused the "accident" their actions make more sense.

They obviously decided to start the show at the explosion for a reason though, maybe later episodes will look into the cause more. I hope so anyway.

I do agree though that the fat guy in Kiev felt too much like a lazy caricature, but he's probably there to represent every single incompetent middle manager in the Soviet Union.