rllmuk
JohnC

Chernobyl (HBO/Sky)

25 minutes ago, Max Damage said:

Absolutely loved the show but God damn Now TV's streaming quality sucks ass. Is there any word on this getting a blu ray/4k hdr disc release?

Not at the moment, if this is to be believed.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Max Damage said:

very disappointing, the show has so many beautiful shots that demand to be seen in at least blu-ray quality.

This is why despite paying for streaming services I have no hesitation in downloading much higher quality rips for archival purposes.

• Upvote 2

Have finally got around to watching the first episode. Possibly the scariest horror film I've ever seen. Like the reactor exudes menace as it lines up its victims.

The bit where the guy is made to go and look at the reactor and gets what looks like sunburn on his face is just horrifying. He knows it's going to kill him, but he still faces it. *shudder*

Can't wait for the rest, though a guy I work with reckons it gets boring after the third episode...

5 minutes ago, MpM said:

This is why despite paying for streaming services I have no hesitation in downloading much higher quality rips for archival purposes.

Are there high quality rips of Chernobyl then? I only have Now TV and assumed any ripped versions would be just as shit.

1 hour ago, Max Damage said:

Are there high quality rips of Chernobyl then? I only have Now TV and assumed any ripped versions would be just as shit.

It aired on Sky Atlantic and HBO in HD..

Just watched the last episode again. That opening scene is so powerful. Haunting music, happy people, juxtaposed by Dyatlov striding towards the Power Plant, as the camera pulls out too see the monster on the horizon. Tremendous stuff!

• Upvote 1

So Russia is making their own Chernobyl tv series

Putin’s Media Struggle to Deal With HBO’s Chernobyl

The fact that an American, not a Russian, TV channel told the story about our own heroes is a source of shame for pro-Kremlin media.

[...]

Russia’s NTV channel has already announced that it is shooting its own “Chernobyl” series based on the premise that the CIA sent an agent to the Chernobyl zone to carry out acts of sabotage.

:facepalm:

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/06/04/putins-media-struggle-to-deal-with-hbos-chernobyl-a65866

2 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

A white hole?

Wow! I didn't know about white holes even though I love to read about space. Thank you for introducing me to the idea. 

In the final episode I was ready to scream at the screen over that twat

Spoiler

Dyatlov

It did strike me that I don't know if the real person warrants those feelings, or dramatically being the focus of the some of the shows themes.  I have to trust the the film maker's research on that.  

I enjoyed my rage though!

I'm looking forward to the propaganda version.

image.png.7a0ecfd7927bb336a7e8a294e65e47ab.png

"Wouldn't you know-- false alarm. It seems a single wayward crow flew into our warning system."

• Upvote 5

Random question: I have both streamed (illegally) and torrented the second episode. At the bit where they are evacuating Pripyat, there is announcements in Russian playing constantly. If I was watching a legit version, would this be subtitled? None of the dodgy versions I've watched have subtitles for the Russian bits.

It wasn't subtitled, IIRC. I think there was a dispatch call to firefighters (which I assume was a real recording) which was subtitled.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

It wasn't subtitled, IIRC. I think there was a dispatch call to firefighters (which I assume was a real recording) which was subtitled.

It was.