Sign in to follow this  
Yuujiin

Switch - Too many ports?? (Ports Die Twice)

On 17/03/2019 at 04:55, Parksey said:

However I do wish that Nintendo especially, would make this a persistent digital Virtual Console.

It'll be interesting to see what they do next gen. Microsoft I would expect to make this and the previous generations purchases available to you on new hardware. I expect Sony to move in that direction too. 

Nintendo I expect will want to sell everything to you again.

5 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

It will be difficult to do this again IMHO. The gaming world is a different place these days and as such are the expectations of gamers due to mobile devices etc allowing you to play your old content. Imagine buying a new phone for example and then all the apps you'd bought didn't work on it? MS for sure are moving to the platform model and have demonstrated its intent with backwards compatibility. Sony having seen how well it was worked with MS probably wouldn't take the risk of not making your PS4 games work in the next console.

Nintendo however seem to be a law unto themselves. However if they keep trying to sell the same content over again and provide no backwards compatibility support then it might be difficult for them. Buy hey this is Nintendo here.... Nothing logical ever seems to apply to them... :D What is weird is that Nintendo nailed BC on the Wii (with gamecube BC) and WiiU with Wii BC. So its not as if they aren't amenable to the idea. However if they do a radical change to the hardware following the Switch not sure how easy BC will be...

Sure it will all turn out fine.....

7 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

It'll be interesting to see what they do next gen. Microsoft I would expect to make this and the previous generations purchases available to you on new hardware. I expect Sony to move in that direction too. 

I would say that NES Online is Nintendo at least starting to acknowledge that they can't sell you the older games over & over any more, & the next logical step in that direction IMO would be similar services for SNES, N64, etc, making it a true 'Nintendo online' service that could be migrated between consoles.

What I really want to see however, is for Nintendo to allow you keep your digital purchases.  This is possible via a convoluted process for the 3DS & I hope they refine it for the Switch 2/Pro/Plus that everyone thinks is coming, but I really want the WiiU/Switch transition to be the last time I have to rebuy/rebuild my Nintendo library just as I hope the PS3/PS4 transition is the last time I need to rebuild my Sony one.

Because if it isn't.  I may have to take... (cracks hacking knuckles) Special Measures... :twisted:

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Meh for all of those bar Odyssey. I didn’t mention the likes of Pikmin 3; Smash Bros, New Super Mario; The Wonderful 101; Splatoon etc as they did very little for me.

Good chat.

Maybe next time you can provide a PDF of what kind of games you like so people can cross check before replying?

4 hours ago, MattyP said:

Imagine buying a new phone for example and then all the apps you'd bought didn't work on it?

You could have the exact same phone as you originally bought an app on and just upgrade the OS to get that effect though ;)

BC will never ever be 100%, without human intervention at some point or the growing cost of legacy hardware modules to enable it.

• Upvote 2

On 15/03/2019 at 13:17, McCoy said:

Ports on Switch are fine.  For most of the games it is the first time they are playable on the bog or 8000 foot in the air. 

The two are not mutually exclusive.