Sign in to follow this  
Yuujiin

Switch - Too many ports?? (Ports Die Twice)

Just flicking through the Nintendo eshop thread with all these posts about old games coming to Switch was just wondering as a Switch owner are you happy with the number of port's coming.

Of the top of my head we have the 3 Resident Evils, Dragons Dogma, castle crashers, Assassin's creed maybe Borderlands 2. Plus I think it's a given we will see Metroid Prime trilogy.

Not that they are bad games and will get RE4 and Borderlands but just cause you can play on the move do you not think it's a bit of an easy cash generator.

I would like to see something new that uses the switch to the best it can do. Instead of 360/PS3 games that won't be to hard to do on the Switch.

Surely these companies are not running out of ideas or is it a case of playing it safe . Easy money for not a lot of effort.

Or am just being a bitter old git.

I'm almost impressed by the sheer number of grammatical errors in the thread title, I'm not even sure it's possible to fit any more in there.

• Upvote 3

Browsing Discussion when suddenly...

giphy.gif

But yeah, Switch is becoming a 'port' monster. Which... I think... is fine? If we are moving towards a Netflix-like future, having access to all titles is better than only new. It's still a weird discrepancy games have in comparison to music and film.

• Upvote 3

Can't ever really see more choice as a bad thing - if nothing else, they are making all of the games portable for the first time. Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4 in my hands for a sun terrace hipster party, YES PLEASE TARQUIN.

• Upvote 2

No.

There's millions of gamers out there who've never played these games... and it's getting more difficult to play these games on their original systems.  I've a few ports on Switch and I've sunk significantly more time into them than I did when they were on big home consoles.  I'm really looking forward to Dragon Dogma.

Old classic films or music can pretty much always be watched and listened too and no one complains when they're released on new formats... but for some reason it's a big problem for games.  IDGI.

• Upvote 1

Yes, although I'm coming at this as a Wii U owner and I'm not too bothered about 3rd party ports, the lack of original Nintendo games for the first two years was disappointing. Thankfully, Nintendo's line up going forward barely has any ports with plenty of stuff that I want to play.

There are ports on all formats, perhaps they stand out more on Switch because it doesn't have as much strong third party support, but I'm quite happy for them to exist and I'm definitely interested in a Prime Trilogy Remaster, who isn't? 

At the end of the day Switch's first party release schedule is way better than the other two this year, so it balances out quite nicely.

The DQXI port is one of my most anticipated games this year.

"be a thread starter," they said.

There's no such thing as too many ports. A good game is a good game, and the Switch is the best place to play the vast majority of them.

Keep porting you mad bastards.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

Not so much a case of too many ports, more not enough of everything else. 

Nintendo's stuff is great but I haven't been interested in any of their games since Odyssey. 

I have more indie games on my Switch than I have time to play - and there's more out every day.

Ports are fine, if that’s what you’re after, but I bought my Switch for the Nintendo exclusives, which have been far too sparse. The end.

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1

Just now, JPL said:

Ports are fine, if that’s what you’re after, but I bought my Switch for the Nintendo exclusives, which have been far too sparse. The end.

Well they haven't, perhaps you're just not interested in what they are putting out.

• Upvote 2

Just now, JPL said:

Reducing the number of ports won’t increase the number of Nintendo exclusives - although it would increase the relative proportion of Nintendo exclusives.

• Upvote 3

Are there too many ports?

Well, I currently don't have UNIST, Tekken, Ultra Street Fighter 4 and Path of Exile hasn't been announced for it yet. So no, it doesn't have too many yet. Not enough I'd argue. Could really do with a nice 3D fighter.

The Switch is doing great things, too many ports? There's not enough mate!

They champion indie games, they give us goddamn BoTW, and they're releasing stuff we've not played for ages so we enjoy them again, (or for the first time) on the go, or indeed the shitter. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I have more indie games on my Switch than I have time to play - and there's more out every day.

A lot of these games just don’t appeal to me. I have very little time to play games these days and stuff available on Xbox and PS4 is often much more interesting to me. 

There’s a huge number of generic pixel art games when I’m scrolling through the store and it just turns me right off.

I don’t have a problem with any of it. I just wish there was more Nintendo first party stuff I was interested in. Pokemon Let’s Go, Yoshi, Smash - all look top tier in terms of quality but they’re just not for me. 

• Empathy 1

16 minutes ago, JPL said:

They've not been 'sparse' at all. Might not be releasing what you specifically want, but to say Nintendo exclusives have been sparse when in 2 years we have all of the below already published by Nintendo on Switch is a bit OTT:

Smash Bros, Pokemon, Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, ARMS, Octopath, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Warriors, Kirby, NSMB, Xenoblade 2, Pokken, Mario Party, Splatoon 2, Labo (multiple), Mario Tennis, Yoshi, Captain Toad, 1-2 Switch...

I've not personally bought anything for a while as I don't like Pokemon or Smash Bros - but that doesn't mean they haven't released them and they haven't done well (phenomenally so with Smash Bros).

• Upvote 1