rafaqat

The 'Xbox Maverick' console will be named 'Xbox One S All-Digital Edition,' preorders in April 2019

We'll know for certain this time tomorrow. 

I'm more curious about the rumoured disc trade-in program. In an ideal world you'd be able to trade in any 360 disc for a downloadable version of the game but that isn't going to happen. 

5 hours ago, bear said:

I'm more curious about the rumoured disc trade-in program. In an ideal world you'd be able to trade in any 360 disc for a downloadable version of the game but that isn't going to happen. 

I wonder how on earth that would work?! Maybe partner up with retailers? Or just mail the original barcodes/covers into MS?

Be interesting to find out. Perhaps it will look at the games you have already played on your account and just release the ones that are BC for free? 

Anyway speculation... be interesting to find out...

6 hours ago, bear said:

What’s happening tomorrow?

10 hours ago, AI1 said:

Also in the 'Asda price' image above, it states 4K Ultra HD/HDR. What does that relate to now it has no BluRay UHD drive? Streaming Netflix? 

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Digitally bought movies?

It also plays games in such formats, or am I missing an epic joke :unsure:

Just now, stefcha said:

It also plays games in such formats, or am I missing an epic joke :unsure:

It’s an S and not powerful enough to do 4K.

• Upvote 1

It still outputs them as a 4K signal though doesn't it (upscaled by the Xbox)? Having it on the box doesn't mean much more than it's a supported output, arguably the HDR part is more important but they kind of go hand in hand, at least as far as marketing goes. 

12 hours ago, JPL said:

How will this work though? It’s overpriced for what it is, most people have already made their console purchases for this gen, it’s not had an aesthetic redesign to differentiate it and it doesn’t appear to be getting a decent marketing push.

How are they going to be able to judge demand in such completely different circumstances to a regular console launch?

I'm surprised the RRP isn't lower but imagine it'll get heavily discounted soon enough. Whilst it won't tell them exactly how things would work at launch, keeping the design and internals broadly similar to the regular S will give them some insight into whether the markets interested in a discless machine. Much more so than if it were a while new design with an SSD drive. 

The S is already a nice form factor but it does seem like a missed opportunity to offer an S Mini, I think that would have been a big selling point for many people.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

An S Mini would, it seems to me, be quite likely to undo all the good work MS did in the thermal engineering of the Xbox. Be careful what you wish for.

Perhaps... But MS's engineering team have done an amazing job on the X and the Surface devices are great. Just think its a missed opportunity to make a nice Mac mini sized unit. It has no need to be so big without the blu-ray drive in there. And it might have sold some more units... people like design changes these days. It would also allowed MS to get it made cheaper.

However in the end guessing they need to gauge reception of a blu-ray drive-less Xbox first with minimal cost. So I guess this is it. I expect if it is successful we may see a redesign down the line.

Its a brave move by MS I guess be interesting to see how well this does. 

Personally I'd love to see a re-engineered X the size of a Mac mini (or smaller) without the blu-ray drive and a  I/O system optimised for a 1TB SSD drive. That would be great! 

2 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

It's officially announced. Exact same hardware as the S, just the drive removed. $249 RRP

Always $50 less than the drive included S.

So this is priced at £199 on Amazon UK - no bundle.

Or...£209 for a One S (same physical size + 1TB HDD) with a 4K UHD drive + Forza Horizon 4 + Division 2/Anthem/Battlefield V + Abilty to buy/trade/swap 2nd hand games.

What a dilemma!

• Upvote 3

Also won't bundles be hard to come by seeing as retailers will need to use digital codes and not mountains of unsold discs (such as Fallout 76, etc)?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AI1 said:

So this is priced at £199 on Amazon UK - no bundle.

Think it comes with three games so is already a bundle.

This is just MS testing the waters out for a digital distribution console so its at RRP at the moment (new launch machine). They'll sell some.

Its going to be interesting to see how well this does especially when they start bundling GamePass subs with it and have it available on contract like a mobile phone. £20 pcm for console and gamepass + gold? Think this might work for some people TBH. This machine is geared at that market IMHO they won't even miss the drive or need one. Not sure 4K blu-rays have taken off really... digital streaming is mostly where people watch their video these days (and most new TVs do that out of the box). I have a drive in mine and not even bought a single 4K blu-ray disk since owning it - despite pondering at times. They are too expensive and a niche market IMHO. This is not a machine targeting the 4K blu-ray playing people (X or S option for them or a bespoke 4K blu-ray player).

Its a perfect machine for MS testing the water. Its not aimed at all at existing old school Xbox gamers. Its about giving options to people who are buying one for the first time now.

It'll be £149 or even £99 by Xmas and will be bundled with GamePass. Its MS's way into that market. 

Personally as a long term gamer would I miss a drive? Well I have exactly one physical Xbox One game disk *everything* else I have on my Xbox is digital. I can't remember the last time I bought a disk. I have not bought a pre-owned game for it for years. Even the disk I do have was picked up in a sale at a supermarket one lunchtime on a whim over two years ago! (Quantum Break - Still haven't played it through!!). So no  I wouldn't. Don't think I use the optical drive on my PC at all!!! (perhaps ripping the odd CD that I owned prior to streaming services). Think there are quite a few people like me. And I'm older and didn't grow up on digital platforms - streaming services etc and used to collect shelfs full of games. Loved having physical disks. Now they are just clutter. They add no value to my life - new games on any of the consoles in physical format offer nothing for me. No user manual or printed stuff just a disk you have to install and a plastic cover. However I guess you can sell them. Saying that even GamePass has taken this need away given that MS release their content through GamePass these days. However they have a use in getting new AAA third party games cheaper at times than their digital versions. For now. 

The kids today won't even miss the disk! It'll almost become like a CD or vinyl is now... a curio that gets treat as such. You realise that vinyl is being bought now and never played? It's MOUNTED in frames on the WALL!!!!!! :D Anyway I digress....  

If MS released an X in a more compact form on a sub based model with GamePass and I didn't already own one or was looking for a replacement I'd buy it in an instant.

• Upvote 2

With Sony now stopping retailers from selling game codes (so you can only buy discs from the likes of Game now), it’s interesting to see basically the opposite approach from Microsoft.

2 minutes ago, Naieve said:

they should have had it come with a year of Gamepass instead. and not be the prole-spec(x) box

It will most likely have a month sub inside with it. I know the X I bought did (perhaps even 2) and a month of gold also.

14 minutes ago, deKay said:

With Sony now stopping retailers from selling game codes (so you can only buy discs from the likes of Game now), it’s interesting to see basically the opposite approach from Microsoft.

:) It would be interesting to see the stats on digital vs disk sales on Xbox at the moment. Think GamePass might have had a big effect when things like Forza Horizon 4 and Crackdown 3 released on it day and date with disk versions. 

One thing is for sure the heavy discounting MS is giving on GamePass is great at the moment and bringing lots of people over to the service. Question is will they continue to sub? Personally think £7.99 is a great price point for the service.

2 minutes ago, deKay said:

If you have game pass, can you buy-to-keep games that are on it at a discount? How much of a discount if so?

When I looked it wasn't great.... probably cheaper to just keep subbing to GamePass - sneaky MS.... :D 

Yes you can - I beleive the standard discount is 20% but there are often higher offers. At the mo most MS first party stuff like crackdown, sea of thieves etc are 50% off

Similarly if there is a sale you can buy it to keep even if it is a gamepass game you already have.

As for this design? meh... Why is it that the "cheap" end-of-gen edition of consoles is usually a bit shit. We had a ps3 with a flimsy flip lid and a red Wii with no wifi and other corners cut and now this, an Xbox One S with the drive removed. Just looks cheap and nasty all over to save a few pennies.

You can currently get a one s from game collection for 199 with Sekiro, which CEX will give you 32 quid for and you can get a year of game pass often for about 50 so for 218 you get the drive and over a 100 games, including two of the "free" ones anyway.

• Upvote 1