rllmuk
acidbearboy

Fight'N Rage (75% off until 1st March) - 2D scrolling beat em up

https://store.steampowered.com/app/674520/FightN_Rage/

Can't remember where I saw this mentioned - possibly the Streets of Rage IV thread. Anyways, I thought it looked nice, so I added it to my wishlist. It is currently on sale (75% off until March 1st) and so I took the plunge on Friday night and I really enjoyed it. The graphics are good once you tweak the settings to your liking - personally I wasn't keen on the CRT filters and over saturated colours. The music is good and most importantly, so is the gameplay. It's nothing revolutionary, but the combo system and special meter work well to stop it being just a button masher. There are 3 playable characters to choose from - with more unlockable by the looks of it. Definitely recommended for the current price of £3.74!

(not my video)

• Upvote 2

This has been on my wishlist for a while and I really should have picked it up in the last sale. Gal's design is a bit :rolleyes: but the gameplay looks glorious..

EDIT: ah it's on sale again; I should read.

EDIT 2: Bought!

The generous airtime / juggling and potential for follow-ups looks like it could be a lot of fun based on a brief look this evening. Things quickly escalate into madness but there’s a lot to discover in the combat. Tossing or launching an enemy, chasing them down with a divekick-style move, continuing the combo on the ground, and so on. Also, as you’d imagine, a controller is recommended - my SFIV Fightpad is more-or-less a six-button Mega Drive controller layout and it works pretty well in this game. :) And yes, Gal is Gal - it’s unfortunate that enjoyable fighters have random boobage (see also Skullgirls.)

This game is a lot of fun. The hits are very satisfying and there’s enough depth to the combo system for it to feel more skilful than button mashy. Spent coins to unlock the training mode and there are a lot of cool juggle combos in there. Currently enjoying the giant bull dude, which is odd as I don’t usually like the big body characters in these games. 

He can can do a basic string combo cancelled into dragon punch cancelled into his special move lariat, then juggle another string into a grab jump cancelled into his super jumping grab. There’s a sentence for you. 

Could have done without the embarrassing boob-lady obviously.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, mechamonkey said:

tried it, rubbish with great effects, try the criminally ignored Zombie Vikings, at least its funny properly.

Thanks for the recommendation, but that does not look like my style at all. I generally prefer my indie games to be pixelated. 

14 hours ago, mechamonkey said:

tried it, rubbish with great effects, try the criminally ignored Zombie Vikings, at least its funny properly.

Never heard of that game but looked up some gameplay and it seems really charming and whimsical. Will definitely give that a try as well! :)

Ha, I went straight into the main game without checking out training and wondered if there was parrying - having returned from training I now know that there is parrying, and it's exactly as expected; push towards the attack at the last moment. It's very tricky against most enemy normals, however; the attacks come out pretty much instantly with no big startup tells!

Chasing down dudes for combos is too much fun - although I botch it in the middle :P that would have been triple digits otherwise!

Starting to get used to keeping an eye on my SP during juggles and incorporating the special move at the right time. So awesome.

EDIT although a little indicator on the character when SP is ready wouldn't be a bad thing either, Team Fightnrage ;) 

• Upvote 1

Played through this yesterday with two friends. It was enjoyable for 90 minutes, but it lacks what makes SOR and FF great side scrolling beat em ups.

Bad things.

• Too much is going on, especially with three players.
  • Quite easy to lose your character in the seas on everything else.
  • Raft level can go do one. It's way too easy to get knocked off.
  • The story is complete bobbins.
  • Borrows a lot from SOR/FF in enemy movement/level design.
  • Controls seem a bit simple

Good things

• Looks relatively nice and has many screen options.
  • I like the idea of the speedrun option
  • The save points are nicely placed (I hear this was a more recent addition)
  • Music seems okay.
  • Seems to have replayability with new characters unlocked and new paths
  • Great to have a multiplayer game like this, not enough of them around.

I think if you got it cheap it's well worth playing, not quite sure i'd feel the same paying 13 quid or whatever it was.

The controls are simple but the combo system is still very flexible and you can do all sorts of cool creative stuff with it. Certainly a hell of a lot more depth to it than Final Fight or Streets of Rage in that regard. The game itself will never hold a candle to SOR2 for me as that's one of my favourite games of all time, but I think that might be the one aspect of the game where it tops both FF and SOR. 

Me and the significant other fired this up today and barely managed to finish it lol. Shit's hard! I couldn't even imagine playing this without continues. I thought some of the windows to parry or get out of holds are a bit inconsistent and combined with all of the action on-screen it can be hard to make out when you're landing hits or getting trashed on yourself. That said it's a very enjoyable beat-em-up with a surprising amount of content (half of which we'll probably never even see). I believe we got the "H: Losses" ending.

I might play a bit more in solo mode to see how far I get and what else I can unlock (maybe that CPU partner for starters).