rllmuk
kerraig UK

The most beautiful song you ever heard

This. I can never describe why. Perhaps it's because it's set to a heartbeat drum, or that it sounds like sunshine, or that it was recorded in a solar powered studio. or that it was dedicated to a friend that died young, but this tune is just marvelous. They're never equaled it.

• Upvote 5

On 20/02/2019 at 21:21, MarkN said:

This, perhaps. (REM's Perfect Circle mentioned above isn't far behind - I adore that song too. Stipey works a treat on this too though.)

There’s a version of Perfect Circle on the Tourfilm DVD that’s just mind blowingly beautiful, Bill Berry varies the drums a bit so it’s a more regular beat throughout including the chorus instead of every other beat and I think it works better, the backing vocals raise it too

• Upvote 2

The answer is probably this (with a chaser that Ain't That Enough is possibly the best jangley guitarred pop song ever written)

Kate Rusby was a good choice as well from earlier. I'dd add her and Paul Weller's Sun Grazers, You Belong To Me, or her duel with the lead singer of Idlewild No Names. 

Final mention for "Eskimo" by Damien Rice, a lot of Sigur Ros's output and perhaps a final return to Remote Part by Idlewild if you have any Scottish blood in you. 

Ah fuckit, if we are going with two ..

might recognise this from Danny Boyle’s Sunshine

Odd to pick an instrumental given Karl Hyde is for me the greatest English lyricist that ever lived but it’s glorious and tragic in equal measure, even tho it’s barely even a tune when you break it down 

I think the much loved debut album is probably only their third or fourth best, it's not a patch on LA Woman or Morrison Hotel, but I do love The Crystal Ship. I really like how it's not structured like a standard verse chorus verse tune and how short it is. That little piano solo too. :wub:

• Upvote 2

I could have put any number of songs but it always comes back to this. Hauntingly beautiful but on the caveat it has to be the full version and none of the 3 min nonsense that puts the crescendo in far too early. 

• Upvote 1

Perfect Circle has already been mentioned. This kind of thing is always dependent on mood but it was my first thought. It’s not really the lyrics or the music but the combination that conjures up a youthful summer evening or memories of them. People often jump to Nightswimming with REM but I think the naivety of this, and the fact it’s from their first album makes it more pure. Here’s another version of it. 

As you’ve already had it though, I’ll offer up another that always gets me feeling reflective.