rllmuk
mdn2

Tetris 99 - Tetris Battle Royale. Read First Post for Hints. DLC Out Now!

I’m shite at this now; I rarely get to the top ten. I think players have got a lot better. 

I’m getting kill-warning sirens even when I’ve got a pretty flat stack. I can’t keep the garbage meter from building up.

Had a game tonight which ended up in a win, but spent most of it just surviving, before turning into an 11 KO win. Was intense. Very rarely have two similar games of this in any one night. It is pretty much a lock in for my Game of the Year.

Is anyone else starting to struggle with the brightness of the lights when sending garbage to multiple attackers? You can see plenty of it above in Jonster’s video. When I’m playing on the Switch’s screen, I end up like the proverbial rabbit in the headlights. It’s as though I’m punishing myself too.

• Upvote 1

Yeah totally, all goes a bit manic when you've 4 or more attackers on you, means you can't really see your lines very well. 

On 27/02/2019 at 11:13, jiroczech said:

I found out that there's a woman in my office who is a former World no.2 Tetris player (for some PC-based version of Tetris). She offered to win some games for me, the cheeky minx. I asked her for some tips and she said "play well"... so basically "git gud" :-D

Pressed further, she said "don't target random, cos that's pointless and make sure you have badges going into the last 10". Like I can think about stuff like that when I'm going into top 10!

I’ll say it again, Random is in no way pointless! During the early stages I use it a lot. It keeps you off the radar for a bit.

it changes with every junk line you send so you won’t be targeted by people set to ‘attackers’ for long. You won’t get many badges so the badge attackers won’t be going for you either. Keep your wall to 8 or so lines and you’ll be off of the KO attackers hit list too.

I don’t aim for badges until there’s about 40 or so left. Then I try and nick as many as I can so I can go for it in the top ten.

a full set of badges is pretty essential in the top ten these days.

• Upvote 2

This one felt good. Taking out two at once for the win!

That was win number 9... this was win 10. 

Really finding a groove now and staying calmer in the final battles and turning umpteen 2nd places into wins. 

• Upvote 4

Also, Nintendo Switch Online members who have downloaded the Tetris [®] 99 game can participate in the Tetris 99 MAXIMUS CUP online event from 5 a.m. PT on March 8 to 11:59 p.m. PT on March 10. During that time, win first place (you’ll see TETRIS MAXIMUS on the results screen when you do) as many times as you can. After the event, the top 999 players with the most TETRIS MAXIMUS wins will be notified, and will each receive 999 My Nintendo Gold Points. More details can be found by visiting https://tetris99.nintendo.com. Tetris 99 is free to download and available as a special offer for Nintendo Switch Online members.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190305006055/en/Nintendo-News-Vanquish-Mythical-Monsters-Island-Hopping

It’s nice that they’re doing things like this but I don’t see my grand total of two wins improving much during the Tetris 99 Maximus Cup. Tetris Effect’s community events are far less soul destroying to participate in.

• Upvote 1

It looks like the European version will just be a random 999 from everyone who got a 1st place. Still no hope for me though, my best is 4th!

Christ, coming 2nd is really demoralising sometimes. Like you get all the way to the top and someone lays you out with a super punch. 

I got win number 7 yesterday though. Was quite a battle but the other person was playing 'stay alive!!!' at the top, which helped me hang in there. 

Having no actual leaderboards, meant I could hope I was in the top 10-25% in the world at Tetris99, but I think the harsh reality will hit home soon. 

• Upvote 1

Only played this for about 4 hours this week. Managed to get a 3rd in my first set of games and 8th in my second lot of games. Seems like people have got a lot better at the game recently. However, i'm switching back to the joycons because my pro pad will randomly just drop a block at the most awkward time. At least if it is me accidentally pressing up, the joycons have seperate buttons so i know it wont be my fault!

Of course I am having my worst run on this as we head towards the chance to win something!

Got my starting pieces down and can get either an All Clear or and early T-Spin Double, but then go to shit and am finishing late teens to late twenties with minimal KOs.

• Upvote 1

I had 3, Three! Wins last night. 

Man, when you have multiple attackers and you switch to targeting them just as you unleash a string of lines, man, it’s glorious. But yeah it does totally obscure the screen.

• Upvote 5

On the board for the event!

I wonder if they release a bunch of micro-transactions when the prizes go out. Or extra paid for game modes maybe?

Anyhoo, I have managed to put in over 55 hours on this so far. I am not saying I have a problem, but I think I have a problem. 

• Upvote 1