rllmuk
Isaac

Super Mario Maker 2 - New update adds worlds! (Forum Course List in First Post)

When they say "last update", does that rule out more DLC too? 

Probably just serious bug fixes from now on. Some "insider" commented that Nintendo had to wrap up SMM2 development as resources were needed elsewhere. SMB2 was meant to be a game style apparently.

8 hours ago, GokouD said:

I've put some of my favorites into a 3 world World if anyone fancies a play through. They're mostly all pretty traditional and accessible, I've tried to make the harder ones optional. My maker code is  29V-SMD-4JF for anyone who isn't following me. Now to try and find time to make some new ones! 

Played a few of the courses tonight and really enjoyed the ones I played. Nice balance between not being too hard but still making me feel like I’ve achieved something. 

Good stuff! :)

If I get halfway through someone's world then go and play Mario Kart for half an hour can I get back to the game in progress? I couldn't see an obvious way to do that.

Great update though, it's got me right back into this.

10 hours ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Played a few of the courses tonight and really enjoyed the ones I played. Nice balance between not being too hard but still making me feel like I’ve achieved something. 

Good stuff! :)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Yasawas said:

If I get halfway through someone's world then go and play Mario Kart for half an hour can I get back to the game in progress? I couldn't see an obvious way to do that.

Great update though, it's got me right back into this.

Yes, it's not super obvious how though. You have to go to your profile, and there's a new tab with a red balloon. There should be a list of in-progress worlds there.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, GokouD said:

Thanks!

Yes, it's not super obvious how though. You have to go to your profile, and there's a new tab with a red balloon. There should be a list of in-progress worlds there.

Smashing - thanks! I was halfway through a great one yesterday morning and was really disappointed when I couldn't get back to it.

The update is fantastic.

I can sympathise a little with the comments about all the trash courses, and true, endless mode is a dustbin, but I have never had a problem finding and playing great levels. If you're sorting by the most popular courses in a week and are playing anything above easy then there's masses of great stuff to try out. I do think the game is generally better for people who are interested in expert and super expert, as the best courses will tend to be at those tiers, but even just vaguely following some of the level creators in the game and on Twitter will throw up way more courses than you can play in a week, every week!

And even if you've somehow never found anything good ever in the courses menu, the game has like 100+ original Nintendo created courses to play through in the Story mode. I can't understand anyone being even slightly hesitant about adding the game to their collection. It's infinite Mario! I have over 400 hours clocked on this now and it's probably going to end up being my most played game of all time.

And I haven't even designed a course yet.

• Upvote 4

When playing Super Worlds I think it would be useful to see an indicator of each course's difficulty, maybe next to the course title before it starts. Perhaps the entire Super World could also be given a difficulty based on an average of all its courses. Most previous play modes have been about choosing a difficulty, so it seems odd that you have no way of knowing what a Super World is like.

Played GokouD's world... it was good to see some courses that I remember from last year! Don't think I'll get past the first course of the second world - that bony shell jumping is too complicated for me. Perhaps I'm especially rusty right now.

To begin with I think everyone is just going to put together a "greatest hits" selection of the courses they made last year, which is fair enough. But eventually people might start making worlds with a purposeful sense of progression and design -- such as teaching the player a technique in 1-1, then elaborating on that technique in 1-2.

I think most people are still too busy playing Animal Crossing to care about SMM2 though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, David Heath said:

The update is fantastic.

I can sympathise a little with the comments about all the trash courses, and true, endless mode is a dustbin, but I have never had a problem finding and playing great levels. If you're sorting by the most popular courses in a week and are playing anything above easy then there's masses of great stuff to try out. I do think the game is generally better for people who are interested in expert and super expert, as the best courses will tend to be at those tiers, but even just vaguely following some of the level creators in the game and on Twitter will throw up way more courses than you can play in a week, every week!

And even if you've somehow never found anything good ever in the courses menu, the game has like 100+ original Nintendo created courses to play through in the Story mode. I can't understand anyone being even slightly hesitant about adding the game to their collection. It's infinite Mario! I have over 400 hours clocked on this now and it's probably going to end up being my most played game of all time.

And I haven't even designed a course yet.

I will pick it up next time it drops to £30 on the eshop. Hopefully soon but not holding my breathe.

I stayed up way too late finishing a new level last night, I'm paying for it today...:wacko:

Headgear Hijinx
6WD-798-3KG

This is a fairly short level to try out the propeller and bullet bill helmets in 3D World. There's a ton more that could be done with these, but I wanted to keep it simple. It's also the first level I've ever made in the 3D World style, the new powerups and proper on/off blocks make it much more enticing now. It's probably quite difficult in places, but it's fairly short and I've split into 3 sections so it should be manageable.

*Edit* There are 6 big coins to find, and 3 1UPs. Try and get them all!

• Upvote 3

@GokouD's world is great!  I've played through a few of his levels already.   Loved the darkness under the sea one!

20 hours ago, scottcr said:

@GokouD's world is great!  I've played through a few of his levels already.   Loved the darkness under the sea one!

Just cleared the most difficult level I've attempted so far (0.06% which I've raised to 0.08%).

If anyone is looking for a good grind to improve your shell jumping, this is the one!

X3S-S5N-BLG

• Upvote 4

is there a way in which two people might collaborate on the building of a world, or several worlds, in this? Like, could you share a level with someone and then they add it to their world?

Enjoyed your new one GokouD. I've gone for Goomba and Propeller power ups in 3D Mario with some Thwomp action thrown in.  It''s very much using similar ideas to other levels I've done, but with the new items. 

Goombas can't fly

884-XWK-MXF

Going to try to make something completely different to anything I've made before next time. Probably when I'm off work in a couple of weeks time.

I made another one. I can already feel the elbow pain from when I last spent to long on this game coming back, so might be better to play some levels instead of making for a few days!

Blue Beam Battalion

4GQ-56B-0DG

This is a pretty straightforward platforming level, with a funky aesthetic.

• Upvote 2

I've been chipping away at Super GokouD World the last couple of mornings as I do my lockdown exercise biking and it's not only a lot of fun but really inspiring too. So much of the shite in Endless is people just blindly making unplanned levels whereas these are obviously focussed like - "I'm going to make an extreme vertical level!" (Oubliette), or "I'm going to make one based on a Dry Bones mechanic Yasawas doesn't know about and will die dozens of times before he learns!" (Icefall Peak I think? Amazing! I had no idea that was a thing).

Anyway this update and the good levels that still exist have totally reignited my interest in this again. What a great thing.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Yasawas said:

I've been chipping away at Super GokouD World the last couple of mornings as I do my lockdown exercise biking and it's not only a lot of fun but really inspiring too. So much of the shite in Endless is people just blindly making unplanned levels whereas these are obviously focussed like - "I'm going to make an extreme vertical level!" (Oubliette), or "I'm going to make one based on a Dry Bones mechanic Yasawas doesn't know about and will die dozens of times before he learns!" (Icefall Peak I think? Amazing! I had no idea that was a thing).

Anyway this update and the good levels that still exist have totally reignited my interest in this again. What a great thing.

Aww :blush: Glad you're having fun with.

@GokouD have you already posted the code for your world in here and I've missed it, or is it in the spreadsheet?

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

@GokouD have you already posted the code for your world in here and I've missed it, or is it in the spreadsheet?

On the last page I think, but it's 29V-SMD-4JF.

• Upvote 3

Big thumbs up for GokouD’s world from my Mario Maker-obsessed son. “It’s just like a proper Mario game!” apparently. Given that he spends most of his time on SMM playing the kind of ultra-hard Kaizo levels that give me a nosebleed, this is high praise indeed. 

23 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Big thumbs up for GokouD’s world from my Mario Maker-obsessed son. “It’s just like a proper Mario game!” apparently. Given that he spends most of his time on SMM playing the kind of ultra-hard Kaizo levels that give me a nosebleed, this is high praise indeed. 

Wow, I must be doing something right! :)

That ice level with the shells is just a bit too hard for me unfortunately... found the last section too frustrating but I’ll go back to it :)

I’m really struggling with that too, but enjoying it at the same time!

I just can’t pull off the very last (I think) move. I always just miss the jump by a tiny margin even though I think I’ve done everything right. 

Will maybe try to take a clip later when I have another go. 

@GokouD, do you get stats or data from the game about people playing your worlds?

Things like how much of it was played, whether they gave up or ran out of lives, or anything else?

Also, what do the Ninjis represent on the map screen?

Took about an hour to get through GokouD world. Some great levels in there!

I actually made a youtube video playthrough of it, i'll get it on my channel at some point.

6 hours ago, David Heath said:

@GokouD, do you get stats or data from the game about people playing your worlds?

Things like how much of it was played, whether they gave up or ran out of lives, or anything else?

Also, what do the Ninjis represent on the map screen?

Not much really. The plays just come through like normal notifications, but you can get a sense of how far people are getting by which levels get a spike in plays. I'm pretty sure the ninjis are a count of how many people are currently at that stage, depressingly the count is maxed out at 999 on the first level so most people just give up!

Anyone stuck on Icefall Peak, that's probably the hardest one, so don't give up!

• Upvote 3

The new speedrun is dope.

What's everyone's route around the level?

I've experimented with a bunch of different options and the fastest path I can put together so far gives me a 32.281 which is #1,258 right now. Looks like someone has managed a 25 second run which I can't work out. There has to be some hat tech that I haven't discovered yet but I don't want to look online aat videos until a few days in.

1 hour ago, David Heath said:

The new speedrun is dope.

What's everyone's route around the level?

I've experimented with a bunch of different options and the fastest path I can put together so far gives me a 32.281 which is #1,258 right now. Looks like someone has managed a 25 second run which I can't work out. There has to be some hat tech that I haven't discovered yet but I don't want to look online aat videos until a few days in.

Had a few goes, my best is 31.650. I'll upload to my twitter in a bit but probably the same route you went with the closeness of time. 25 seconds sounds crazy though.