rllmuk
kiroquai

Formula One - 2019 Season

Alonso sours the Honda/McLaren relationship. Convinces McLaren to make the switch, costing them fuck tonnes of cash and denying them any fruits of their labour that may come.

Therory. His whole second stint was just an elaborate plan to pay them back for 2007. :coffee:

• Upvote 3

They didn't broadcast any radio of him complaining about it. We'll probably have to wait for the Mercedes F1 YouTube race review to find out how it happened.

For anyone who didn't watch the race live and doesn't want to wait for the Channel Four show later, especially as they have all their restrictions on what they can do now at the circuits. Just watch this short highlights video instead: 

• Upvote 1

Just finished watching. As always, I'm left baffled as to why Melbourne is the first race, it's a compete filler of a race (I mean it's obviously in the contract, but...)

Mid field looks like it will be interesting.

LeClerc should have been in for fresh tyres and fastest lap challenge, no way Ferrari were ordering Vettel to let him past as there was no chance of him catching Max.

Valteri did an excellent job, great to see a deserving win without pathetic team orders robbing him of such a victory..

For now though, happy to wait for the real season begin in 2 weeks.

Great to see Bottas back up to his best, and good to start at the first race, not three quarters of the way through the season at your favourite track when you’re already out of contention.  Hopefully he can match Lewis through the season (there’s no way he’s going to drive away from him all year) and provide a new dimension to the title race.  It will be how he responds to his first couple of knock backs that will show if he truly has found some metal, as in the past he’s been unlucky and then seemed to disappear.

Hopefully Ricciardo was ready for the reality check this weekend, can’t have been easy with it being his home race, but he must have gone there knowing this was the likely performance and if his move is to pay off Hamilton/Merc style he’s got a lot of building to do.

• Upvote 1

We basically found out that a broken Mercedes is quicker than a Ferrari and a Red Bulk but slower than a working Mercedes with competent driver and the Australian GP is better in photos than watching the race.

Ferrari must be gutted that  Mercedes trolled them so badly in testing and genuinely worried about Redbull being quicker and it’s good to see Mclaren look half decent again.

• Upvote 1

I wonder why they let Bottas win by such a huge margin? I don’t mean in a “should have swapped with Hamilton” way, but that  it seemed strange to keep building and building such a massive gap when saving engines etc for later in the season is such as big part of the long game these days. I assumed him and Hamilton must be on different strategies and they were planning to pit him again whilst Hamilton was nursing tyres to the end, hence the need to get him a pit stop ahead. I’m surprised he wasn’t getting told to slow down and reduce the gap to a few seconds, knowing the extra speed was there in the event it was needed.

Apparently Hamilton had a hole in the floor of his car near one of the rear wheels, which might be why he came on the radio to say he couldn't feel the back of the car

Only just caught up on the race. My takeaways - Melbourne is a ton of fun to drive on the F1 games but boring to watch. Ferrari continue to be naff with team orders and Vettel continues to prove he's overrated. I really don't care who wins these days as long as it's not him.

Looks like much of the same otherwise and quite a few races won't be worth watching. 

The first episode of Ted’s F1 Weekend Debrief was on Sky F1 today and is repeated again tonight at 11.30pm. It’s weird to see Ted in a jacket and it feels a little staid compared to the old notebooks which you’d expect from the official F1 channel.

• Upvote 1

What's the story regarding Ted then? Missed him over the weekend. Also, JB was s'posed to be part of the team also this year......

Ted is doing 14 races with Sky but is also under contract with FOM. Not sure if FOM send him out to the other 7 races but it didn't sound like he was in OZ.

Not sure on Button but I'm guessing it's a similar deal where it's not all races. Last year they often swapped Hill, Herbet, Davidson and DiResta around so they didn't have them all at each GP. I'm guessing it will be similar this year. Just guessing though. 

I agree about Ted's show. It was a little strange. He's the guy getting all excited and geeky flapping about near an F1 car explaining what turning veins are or in the paddock letting you in on the behind the scenes stuff. I was hoping his mid-week debrief show would be Notebook-esque. But it feels more like a whacky chemistry teacher all dressed up at a bank applying for a mortgage.

Check out the comments for this tweet btw.

• Upvote 2

Button’s still racing (Super GT in Japan and also the World Endurance Championship), which based on a quick look means six clashes with F1 (including last weekend).

• Upvote 1