kiroquai

Formula One - 2019 Season

How did Paddy Lowe go from a senior position at all conquering Mercs to designing such a turd? Obvs theres much to do with finance, personnel but being put on gardening leave before the season even starts is very odd

12 hours ago, wev said:

What's worse is that it wasn't that long ago they were fighting for podiums! The past two years have been awful for them and they appear to have completely swapped places with Sauber

At least part of that was a function of just how really bloody good the merc engine was back then, I think it masked some problems, possibly not for their long term benefit.

I wouldn't even say they've swapped places, Sauber weren't that far off the back and Sauber always had the potential to move back up.  Williams... I can't see it.  There's something fundamentally rotten there.

• Upvote 1

On 15/04/2019 at 10:29, Dudley said:

I don't think he's doing a bad job to be honest.  I think there's every chance Williams are completely unable to field 2 identical cars at this point and he's not far off Russell, who is always going to be favoured because they NEED Mercedes.

So he's proved all he needs to, he's never getting a better drive, so yeah at the end of the season I think he's walking away.

I was reading last week that he does both the upshifts and downshifts on the same hand. Williams are supposed to be making him a modification to the wheel that will make his life much easier. He's been waiting for the part since he signed as a full time driver for them, and they still haven't been able to make it for him.

16 hours ago, wev said:

What's worse is that it wasn't that long ago they were fighting for podiums! The past two years have been awful for them and they appear to have completely swapped places with Sauber

Claire needs to go and someone else needs to be put in charge. She admitted that it was her descision to switch the team about when they were doing well, and that was just the start of the issues. I don't think she's the right person to steer the ship.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

I was reading last week that he does both the upshifts and downshifts on the same hand. Williams are supposed to be making him a modification to the wheel that will make his life much easier. He's been waiting for the part since he signed as a full time driver for them, and they still haven't been able to make it for him.

I'd imagine it's less a modification and more a totally different wheel design.

He doesn't have use of his right fingers or thumb, so he can't press any buttons on the right-hand half of the wheel unless he takes his left hand off the wheel entirely and reaches across. You can see it in his onboard footage: https://streamable.com/xx7fp

Looks like, in effect, he can only adjust those controls if he's going in a straight line, as all he can do with the right hand is hold the wheel straight. I don't know how much of a hindrance that actually is, to be fair. Do drivers normally adjust things while turning?

Does that mean that his left hand/arm is doing all the work? Lifting or pushing on the wheel to turn it and his right hand is just there to stabilise? Could it be that Kubica is mostly there as a more experienced (not so much in this generation of cars) head to provide feedback to the team and Russell to push both forwards next season, especially as they basically wrote this car off before it had turned a wheel 

When Kubica was on Beyond The Grid with Tom Clarkson he described his right hand as a "passenger". His left hand is doing all the steering input. 

I think his experience is a big part of the reason he's got the race seat, but not the whole story. I don't know why he's so much slower than Russell in the 2019 car but I'm more inclined to believe that it's because they can't field two comparable cars at the moment, rather than because he inherently can't physically manage to drive the thing. He was at least as fast as Stroll or Sirotkin in the 2018 car. 

7 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

Claire needs to go and someone else needs to be put in charge. She admitted that it was her descision to switch the team about when they were doing well, and that was just the start of the issues. I don't think she's the right person to steer the ship.

I don't really want to point the finger at a single person but ultimately you can't argue about that really, which is a shame.

I think they also need to accept the inevitable and become a Mercedes B team. They rightly have a lot of pride in their status as the last independent F1 team but I cannot see how they can even get back above Sauber Alfa Romero or Racing Point before the next big rules change and the Mercedes engine no longer has a big enough power advantage to cover for a poor car.

1 hour ago, beenabadbunny said:

When Kubica was on Beyond The Grid with Tom Clarkson he described his right hand as a "passenger". His left hand is doing all the steering input. 

I think his experience is a big part of the reason he's got the race seat, but not the whole story. I don't know why he's so much slower than Russell in the 2019 car but I'm more inclined to believe that it's because they can't field two comparable cars at the moment, rather than because he inherently can't physically manage to drive the thing. He was at least as fast as Stroll or Sirotkin in the 2018 car. 

Being as fast as Stroll isn’t exactly anything to shout about as he is showing us in the Racing point, I think Kubica has some form of deal or Williams needed the PR for sponsor reasons as sadly it’s clear he isn’t half the driver he was before :( 

16 hours ago, ryodi said:

I think they also need to accept the inevitable and become a Mercedes B team. They rightly have a lot of pride in their status as the last independent F1 team but I cannot see how they can even get back above Sauber Alfa Romero or Racing Point before the next big rules change and the Mercedes engine no longer has a big enough power advantage to cover for a poor car.

100% this. It will give them stability for the next say 5 years. Swallow your pride (for now), stabilise the team. Get some self respect back. THEN when you've done this and have a far better bank balance break free again and be 100% independent.

• Upvote 1

Wolff said: "We had quite a laugh about it all three of us. I haven't got Max's number and I've never spoken to him on the phone. As Max rightly said I've known Jos for a long time and I would consider him a friend.

"We talk about babies and go-karting and when do we put our babies in a go-kart together and which team are we going to set up. There is no talking about Max nor his contract. For the right reasons, Max is very committed to the Honda/Red Bull situation.

"We are committed to our drivers and we are not planning to engage in any sort of discussions and nor are Jos or Max, so I don't know where that came from."

ezgif-4-f761ab47039f.gif.99064325f8e5384bc34b71827ffc2a41.gif

On 15/02/2019 at 12:53, marsh said:

Congrats.

Have a Lola BMS Scuderia Italia livery as a prize:

5004268715_558e4792aa_z.jpg

People should listen to this week's Autosport podcast; it's an interview with Mark Williams, who worked on this car. They go into what went wrong and it's really fascinating stuff.

• Upvote 2