rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Hierophant

Eat Soup

On 26/10/2019 at 06:40, Gotters said:

Place garlic, onions and oil in mixing bowl then chop 3 sec/speed 5. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula then sauté 3 min/120°C/speed 1.

Add beef and tomato pureé then sauté 5 min/120°C//speed .

Add tomatoes, beef stock, 700 g water, marjoram, sweet paprika, hot paprika, caraway seeds, bay leaf, Tabasco®, salt and pepper then cook 35 min/100°C//speed 1. Meanwhile, mix flour and remaining 60 g water in a bowl until smooth.

Add flour mixture, red peppers and green peppers then cook 8 min/100°C//speed 1. Remove bay leaf then transfer to serving bowls. Garnish with oregano (if using) and serve hot with crusty bread.

@Gotters can you translate the symbols for me, the lips and face. 

just made up a batch of the corn chowder and doing the goulash tomorrow.

my other half (who is the dairy intolerant one) was a big fan of the leek & potato using the rice trick, she couldn't believe it wasn't cream based.

On 26/10/2019 at 17:05, Foxworth said:

I rarely make soup but when I do I make a roasted carrot and garlic soup. So simple. 

750g carrots peeled and sliced in half. 

3 or 4 decent sized garlic cloves.

Peel and quarter an onion.

Put all on an oiled oven tray with some sage and roast for 45 mins at gas 6 or 200c.

Take out of oven and let cool slightly. Peel the garlic bulbs out of their skins.

Make a pint of veg stock and blend it all together. 

Add a few table spoons of double cream once it's cooled. 

Really flippin nice and dead simple.

I'm making it right now. 

dutch pea soup is glorious and simple. 

400g green split peas

1/2 a celeriac peeled and cubed

1 large carrot diced

400g pork chops (I leave these out alot for a less meaty soup)

100g smoked bacon cubed - you can use lardons or pancetta (see not below)

200g leeks

250g of smoked sausage (again like pork chops optional if you don't want lots of meat)

1/2 bunch of celery leaves

1/2 bunch parsely

salt and pepper

wash split peas (I do this about 3 times plus a dowsing though a seive - then take 1.5 litres of water and boil the peas, celeriac, carrot, pork chops and bacon cubes (I brown the latter two beforehand). Simmer for 1.5 hrs add leeks for the last 15 mins ish. 

slice the sausage (if using) remove pork chops and take meat off the bones. Return meat and newly sliced sausage to soup and add celery leaves and parsley and salt/pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 more mins

Serve with some rye bread if you can.

That is the recipe as written here are my additional thoughts - 

The trick with this soup is to get the saltiness right - get it wrong and its too salty. I taste it regulary through cooking and often do it without pork chops or smoked sausage or add them at end if more meat needed. I found nicely smoked cubes that were less salty gave best flavour as the smoke flavour permeates well and doesn't need masses of salt - and you can add more at end if you have under done it!

Keep an eye on the water content you want a nice thick soup but it can't reduce toooo much - that celeriac should pretty much dissolve with peas.

Finally allow more cook time if you need to it will take it - you want it a nice consistency with no lumps - unless you like bite to the celeriac in which case lower the cook time :D