rllmuk
Revival

The Outer Worlds | Obsidian 2019

9 minutes ago, df0 said:

Treat it like a podcast then. The devs provide some neat little insight in perks and such that might help you in choosing a path.

I actually like watching someone else play the opening minutes of a game. It reduces the likelihood of me getting stuck/confused in the first 30 minutes or so and giving up. My critical time with a game is around 30-60 minutes in. If I'm not feeling a game by that point I'll probably never play it again and I'd suggest that many others are the same. Some games have absolutely vital mechanics/concepts to understand within that time and they benefit hugely from watching someone else play the first hour or so before hand. Subnautica was a great example of this. First time I played it I was massively overwheed, confused and turned it off. After watching a streamer play it for a couple of hours, I went back to it and it became one of my favourite games of all time.

Any particular play style you all are looking forward to? Generally and by generally I mean always I choose the friendly, charming and voice-of-reason adventurer who prefers the stealthy approach for my first play session. Consecutive  play throughs are generally the polar opposite.

• Upvote 1

Videos of this do nothing for me, but I'm actually quite excited about it. I loved New Vegas.

I do kind of wish that they'd tried to make it look less like Fallout, though.

@df0 Combat tends to be a bit of an afterthought for me in games like this. I just want a rifle that does a million damage per headshot and that's it.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Woah! I don't remember that fella at all?

Did he not appear in my game because I took a different path (I seem to remember killing those roman-type guys), or have I just forgotten?

New Vegas has so many quests that overlap and some cancel each other out. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, df0 said:

Any particular play style you all are looking forward to? Generally and by generally I mean always I choose the friendly, charming and voice-of-reason adventurer who prefers the stealthy approach for my first play session. Consecutive  play throughs are generally the polar opposite.

Thats how I did it in KOTOR and New Vegas, and thats how I will do it in this one:sherlock:

8 hours ago, ravnaz said:

Any early word on how this performs on a base PS4? 

I'd imagine it will sound like a spacecraft setting off for an Outer World. 

• Upvote 7

18 minutes ago, meatbin said:

I'd imagine it will sound like a spacecraft setting off for an Outer World. 

And twice as loud on a Pro.

• Empathy 1

13 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

Can I play as a stealthy female sniper who’s a dick to everyone? That’s usually my go-to character whenever I get the choice. 

Yes sounds like it. 

The conversation system seems really good. Not only do you unlock new responses if your Intelligence is high (which of course has been done many times), you also unlock new responses if for example your engineering meets a certain level, but only if the context is right. Better still, you unlock Dumb responses if your Intelligence is far too low for the situation. 

Looks really funny too. 

Unfortunately I just noticed the switch version still doesn't have a release date. Boo, was hoping to pick it up on Friday. 

Having watched the GiantBomb quicklook I’m super excited for this.  Hope they do a second one without the developers there though. 

33 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

Unfortunately I just noticed the switch version still doesn't have a release date. Boo, was hoping to pick it up on Friday. 

I'm in the same boat and telling myself that it just means they'll have fixed all the standard issue Obsidian bugs by the time it's out.

1 hour ago, PeteJ said:

The conversation system seems really good. Not only do you unlock new responses if your Intelligence is high (which of course has been done many times), you also unlock new responses if for example your engineering meets a certain level, but only if the context is right. Better still, you unlock Dumb responses if your Intelligence is far too low for the situation. 

So the system they had in the original Fallouts, it’s kinda sad we’ve drifted so far from that sorta thing that it’s seen as different, but I’m glad it’s there.

I’m always there for an Obsidian game.  There’s a small part of me that worries about the lack of Chris Avellone as he was a big part of some of the classic a Black Isle & Obsidian games, but I probably shouldn’t be.  I just hope modern MS given them the support & space they need and don’t fuck them around like Matrick era MS did to us.

31 minutes ago, Blunted said:

I'm in the same boat and telling myself that it just means they'll have fixed all the standard issue Obsidian bugs by the time it's out.

Are Obsidian games known for being buggy? I never had any problems with their Pillars stuff. I assumed any issues with New Vegas were due to it being on Bethesda’s Gamebryo engine.

The recent footage I’ve seen has me really excited. It looks a lot more polished and the NPCs look less Fallout-hideous. 

Have preloaded on Xbox One X. So many games, though. 

Luigi the week after and then Star Wars and Death Stranding within 2 weeks.

TXToVKR.jpg

• Upvote 2

Love Game Pass Ultimate - so weird a new big release like this will be free on PC too at launch

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Are Obsidian games known for being buggy? I never had any problems with their Pillars stuff. I assumed any issues with New Vegas were due to it being on Bethesda’s Gamebryo engine.

The big three for bugs were New Vegas, KOTOR2 and Alpha Protocol - all quite a long time ago, and KOTOR and AP notable for having their development time slashed at the last minute. Also, however, notable for being the only other games they've put out with open 3D environments, so perhaps some concern is justified. Frankly I do think the reputation for always putting out buggy games is overblown, however.

Really, the only thing that concerns me is the gradual loss of original staff (including Chris Avellone), compounded by the rather damning statements made by Avellone regarding Obsidian following his departure.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Uzi said:

Love Game Pass Ultimate - so weird a new big release like this will be free on PC too at launch

I shall be using the new members £1 offer for sure to give this a go.

This looks great! Really seems to capture what made the better Fallout games so good. 

Am I right in assuming that if you give this new members £1 deal a shot, you basically have a month to finish the game before you lose access to it?  Unless you keep up a subscription of course.

Just now, sdmilne said:

Am I right in assuming that if you give this new members £1 deal a shot, you basically have a month to finish the game before you lose access to it?  Unless you keep up a subscription of course.

Correct. Unless you stock up on Live Gold first, then it's however long you want for £1.

• Upvote 1