The Outer Worlds | Obsidian 2019

6 hours ago, therearerules said:

:( Was really looking forward to this, but that looks awful.

Yeah it's apparently pretty bad and the framerate gets worse the longer you play. Basically like skyrim did on the PS3.

To me it hints at this being poorly coded with a likely memory leak. Mind you obsidion aren't exactly great with Unreal engine. The PC version didn't support ultrawides on release for example. In fact the windows game pass version that I have doesn't seem to support ultrawide even now.

It's even worse. From EG: "However, combat - and especially combat in detailed environments - sees frame-rates drop to the low 20s or even to sub-20fps levels. This leads to basic playability problems and a general level of dissatisfaction with the experience." 

FFS, I was looking forward to it but that's just totally unacceptable. 

I bought this on Switch, and have played about 25 minutes.

It certainly is much worse graphically.  Lots of pop up, lack of detail, and a bit of smeering on the cheeks of the lieutenant you meet soon after landing.  But the combat was fine, even for ranged combat.

So far I haven't been frustrated by the long loading times.

I finished it on PS4 Pro earlier this year, for comparison.

Finished this at lunchtime today and it's been interesting reading the thread.

I *really* wanted to love it but I just didn't. As posted in the 'What Games Did You Complete' thread, it just felt like a bunch of unconnected systems thrown together without a lot of polish. Gunplay was average, as a player character you don't have any appreciable skills (I know you get benefits from points put into things, but none of those make the run-and-gun more 'fun'), there's no sense of developing either yourself or your companions and it very much felt like not putting lots of points into dialogue skills is the 'wrong' way to go.

I did start my playthrough with the intention of completing every mission (where possible) but by the time I got to Byzantium I'd grown bored and just pushed through to the end. I don't feel I probably missed much, even though the writing was generally good.

I thought at times it looked lovely, others not so much - and downright dull in places. And couldn't they have had more variety in the NPCs (especially the ladies - who nearly all shared the same face with some minor tweaks)?

At the end, my main feeling was of disappointment. I wanted this to be a slightly more lighthearted Mass Effect, but it never came close in most aspects. It's not particularly a universe ripe for a sequel (there's one obvious route they could go I suppose, perhaps more as DLC) and unless they made the mechanics feel more part of a 'whole' then I'm not sure I'd be too keen to play it anyway.

Such a shame.

• 4 weeks later...

Completed this yesterday, it’s really good. Ending is gearing up for a sequel just hope it is not Xbox exclusive.

Reminds me so much of the fallout game just with better story threads.

• 3 weeks later...

he Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon (Private Division – Obsidian Entertainment – September 9, 2020). The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon adds a substantial amount of content to The Outer Worlds‘ darkly humorous universe. Play a brand-new noir-tinged adventure that takes players to the Gorgon Asteroid to investigate the mysterious origin of Adrena-Time. While there, you’ll find new weapons and armor, perks, flaws, along with the same freedom to solve problems that made the original game so rewarding. And those who played The Outer Worlds with Xbox Game Pass, you’ll be able to grab this and future adventures, or the expansion pass packaging both adventures for an extra 10% off.

On 08/07/2020 at 08:07, gospvg said:

Completed this yesterday, it’s really good. Ending is gearing up for a sequel just hope it is not Xbox exclusive.

Obsidian is bought my MS. I highly doubt they'll allow any of their future output that is not Outer Worlds 1 DLC to appear on anything but Xbox and Windows.

Was not expecting to be asked to pay for the DLC. Completely forgot it’s generally not included in Game Pass. 

I liked the Outer Worlds but by the end it really petered out and I’m not sure if I’m that bothered about playing more. 

6 minutes ago, df0 said:

Obsidian is bought my MS. I highly doubt they'll allow any of their future output that is not Outer Worlds 1 DLC to appear on anything but Xbox and Windows.

Yeah Obsidian & Ninja Theory were the two studios I was disappointed to see purchased by MS. Alas this will be the last Obsidian game I play for a while.

I dunno if this persists through the whole game, but I am a little turned off by the whole Witcher-style "no good choices" quest design.

So, do you solve the quest by doing horrible thing A, or horrible thing B? OK, horrible thing B it is! (P.S. Horrible thing A happened too. Only worse.)

6 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Was not expecting to be asked to pay for the DLC. Completely forgot it’s generally not included in Game Pass. 

I liked the Outer Worlds but by the end it really petered out and I’m not sure if I’m that bothered about playing more. 

Something is confused as they said everything shown would be part of game pass. I wasn't expecting dlc to be on game pass but because it was included in the shown, it should be.

1 hour ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I dunno if this persists through the whole game, but I am a little turned off by the whole Witcher-style "no good choices" quest design.

So, do you solve the quest by doing horrible thing A, or horrible thing B? OK, horrible thing B it is! (P.S. Horrible thing A happened too. Only worse.)

The main quest choice on Monarch is properly shite. Either massacre one mob of harmless idiots or the other and the survivors won't even particularly care. I expect there is a third option but it probably needed 100 Speech and I didn't have the right hat on when I started an import conversation. Disappointing.

There is a third choice. I can’t remember how to get it, but it’s definitely the best option. 

One thing about the game is you don’t ever really get levelled out of various options as you suggest because there’s usually like 5 different kinds of checks you can use to get those options, rather than just relying on speech. 

There is. And without mentioning spoilers, most choices have more depth than just "good" or "bad". There are some neat surprises and curveballs.

45 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

There is a third choice. I can’t remember how to get it, but it’s definitely the best option. 

One thing about the game is you don’t ever really get levelled out of various options as you suggest because there’s usually like 5 different kinds of checks you can use to get those options, rather than just relying on speech. 

Dumb.

19 hours ago, df0 said:

There is. And without mentioning spoilers, most choices have more depth than just "good" or "bad". There are some neat surprises and curveballs.

That's good to know. Was causing me actual stress have to just muddle through messing things up for people, lol. Missing the old days of "Space Jesus" John Shepard, who just cruised through the universe setting shit to rights. Ah, we will never see his likes again.

On 24/07/2020 at 10:13, HarryBizzle said:

They slightly fucked the messaging really because they did say "You can play all these games on game pass" and yes you can but the trailer was only for the DLC so while there was a blink and miss it disclaimer people could easily have assumed.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Two hours in and it's a massive disappointment so far. It certainly doesn't help coming from Disco Elysium, but dialogue and story & character development have been absolutely dismal so far (just landed on Groundbreaker). Also, I can't believe the old "when involved in fighting, just open a door and everything will be calm again" strategy still works in 2020. And with 90 minutes into the game I was able to "intimidate" Reed to just hand over the power module and call back his ARMY OF GUARDS? Oh come on. 

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

Two hours in and it's a massive disappointment so far. It certainly doesn't help coming from Disco Elysium, but dialogue and story & character development have been absolutely dismal so far (just landed on Groundbreaker). Also, I can't believe the old "when involved in fighting, just open a door and everything will be calm again" strategy still works in 2020. And with 90 minutes into the game I was able to "intimidate" Reed to just hand over the power module and call back his ARMY OF GUARDS? Oh come on. 

Yeah I didn't even get off the first planet it's so uninspired. 

Picked this up on Switch (despite having a One X + Game Pass) because it’s basically the only platform I’ll have a chance to play it on. I was expecting it to look bad, but looks worse than I could have possibly imagined :lol:

It’s blurry as fuck, and the textures and models look like they haven’t loaded in properly. It reminds me of playing Doom 3 with everything low on a GeForce Ti 4200 to get it to run smoothly. But ya know what? It plays fine so far. And yeah, probably the only chance I’ve got to play it really.

Just finished this.  It had a bit of a clunky start but I dug into it every once in the while to see where the story goes and I'm actually glad I did.  Really enjoyed where it went and how it concluded. I thought I was going to do my typical thing of getting stuck on the last bit of the game but changing a few weapons on my squad members soon fixed that. Was pleasantly surprised by the post ending story.  Not your typical “and they all lived happily ever after”

I'm glad I put the time in.  I took 20 hours in the end.  Will be cool to see what they go for next. 

On 13/10/2020 at 12:50, Paulando said:

Picked this up on Switch (despite having a One X + Game Pass) because it’s basically the only platform I’ll have a chance to play it on. I was expecting it to look bad, but looks worse than I could have possibly imagined :lol:

It’s blurry as fuck, and the textures and models look like they haven’t loaded in properly. It reminds me of playing Doom 3 with everything low on a GeForce Ti 4200 to get it to run smoothly. But ya know what? It plays fine so far. And yeah, probably the only chance I’ve got to play it really.

It's getting a major patch soon. Maybe hold off till then?