Unofficial Who

Console start up sounds

26 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Just listened to this podcast detailing the boot sounds for the X-Box which some of you might find interesting. The original X-Box startup sound was created with less than 30kb of code (since it couldn't play from the still accelerating hd).

https://www.20k.org/episodes/xboxstartupsound

Also covers the 360 boot up.

that fucking SONOS ad though...

5 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Playstation, 'cube, Dreamcast - all terrible.  They lack power, weight, imagination. 

This is the start-up king -

I've never understood this one, there should have been zero thought in making this, it clearly creates its self, have a red scratch pierce through the black, the roar, zoom out to reveal logo. Instead we get the roar, then a super kiddy plinky plonky bit followed by an animated 3D cube because why the hell not. Even the Gamecube had a more adult intro and that had one with babies laughing.

The Dreamcast is a very minimalist modern one which feels better now but at the time could have used a bit more of a wow factor.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Playstation, 'cube, Dreamcast - all terrible.  They lack power, weight, imagination. 

This is the start-up king -

What were they thinking?

the only sound that mattered to me in my early teens. 

The clackidy clack of an old hdd and the obnoxious beep of a pc speaker. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Ketchup said:

I've never understood this one, there should have been zero thought in making this, it clearly creates its self, have a red scratch pierce through the black, the roar, zoom out to reveal logo. Instead we get the roar, then a super kiddy plinky plonky bit followed by an animated 3D cube because why the hell not. Even the Gamecube had a more adult intro and that had one with babies laughing.

Yeah, you've gone on my list.  Right to the top.

Let me tell you about that 'animated 3D cube because why the hell not' - if you hold pause as the machine boots, you can MANIPULATE THE CUBE :o:o:o

That's right, a 3D tech-demo on a console from 1993.  Let's see its rivals do that.  Oh wait, they can't because they don't have the 64-bits necessary to do so, since they're so weak and pathetic.  And while I'm at it, the Gamecube is shite, just in general.  Well more specifically, absolutely everything about it is shite.  Yeah.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

Yeah, you've gone on my list.  Right to the top.

Let me tell you about that 'animated 3D cube because why the hell not' - if you hold pause as the machine boots, you can MANIPULATE THE CUBE :o:o:o

That's right, a 3D tech-demo on a console from 1993.  Let's see its rivals do that.  Oh wait, they can't because they don't have the 64-bits necessary to do so, since they're so weak and pathetic.  And while I'm at it, the Gamecube is shite, just in general.  Well more specifically, absolutely everything about it is shite.  Yeah.

WUT!?!

2 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Neither did I - apparently Dev kit ones.

Ah, I was thinking maybe it was from a bootloader or something, it looked/sounded rather amateurish