Lorfarius

Dave Perry is back...

I'm all for eye candy in a gaming show but this was untastefully done, in the worst possible manner in fact.

21 hours ago, womblingfree said:

I've just realised that in the current climate, Dave Perry and his awful videos could easily become the next populist superman.

Just imagine Dave Perry's bandana whipping humanity's face forever. Up and down. Up and down.

• Upvote 1

It does remind me of that When Games Attack show where they used to get Page 3 girls to play DDR. But even then there was a thin veneer of post-modern irony. This is dead straight.

He's probably operating under being able to say he's doing it knowingly should it not be received exactly to his liking, in the same way that people who get mocked on online communities fall back on 'social experiment' and reframing themselves internally as a trolling mastermind, with no option other than to become a 'notorious' figure and fight, where every criticism is entirely what they've orchestrated and wanted all along. Always handy if you don't want to self-reflect much. Here it's not really controversial, or media-savvy Machiavellian: it's just a bit transparently sad. These dudes who are still being edgy after their mid-twenties...oh, it's a waste of a life. Ditch the unconvincing airs and air the games memories instead. 

• Upvote 1

On 07/11/2018 at 17:40, Bluejam said:

Isn’t Top Hat Gamer the one who nicked a review and used it as his own recently? 

Nicked Youtube footage and didn't acknowledge whom he got it from, as well.

4 hours ago, Vimster said:

It does remind me of that When Games Attack show where they used to get Page 3 girls to play DDR. But even then there was a thin veneer of post-modern irony. This is dead straight.

Post-modern bullshit. Thin veneer of dogshit. No gaming show needs bikini models.

4 minutes ago, merman said:

Post-modern bullshit. Thin veneer of dogshit. No gaming show needs bikini models.

Well I said veneer as although it would probably be explained away as ironic, the fact it was done in the first place negates it.

I believe his contention is they deliberately chose a game he hadn't played, as it wasn't released in the UK yet but had got an import copy for his opponent who had spent hours on the specific level.

I always found it weird that Perry claimed he hadn’t played Super Mario 64 as it wasn’t yet available in the UK. This was someone who had by then worked exclusively on console magazines like Sega Pro, whose review pages were usually wall-to-wall import games.

I mean, try finding a ‘90s console magazine without at least one import games review – even nominally official magazines like Nintendo Magazine System started reviewing imported Super NES JRPGs at one point.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

I believe his contention is they deliberately chose a game he hadn't played, as it wasn't released in the UK yet but had got an import copy for his opponent who had spent hours on the specific level.

All he had to do was lose graciously and he wouldn't have been a laughing stock for the last 20 years. 

I'm not surprised he's bitter to be honest. 

• Upvote 6

Indeed, his reaction was hilarious and stupid, predictably.

Bear in mind Dom et al knew him a lot better than we do even now, they knew exactly what would happen.

16 hours ago, Dudley said:

Perry says that when found out an N64 title had been chosen for the final showdown, he tried to walk off the set. However, he claims he was forbidden from using any of the company cars to get home. "I was stranded. So I thought, 'Sod it, I'll do my best.' But it was clear the whole thing had been set up so I had minimum chance of winning."

"Oh rubbish, absolute rubbish," says Diamond, when I ask him if it was a fix. "He wasn't set up. Kirk didn't give a s***. Kirk was stoned all the time. Kirk and I were goofing off all the time. Dave did all kinds of things behind the scenes to try and cheat, because he was the only person in the history of the show to take it too seriously. It was a bit of fun. Dave was hoist by his own petard."

"Poetic justice was served because Dave Perry lost," says Ffinch. "But quite fairly."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-04-gamesmaster-the-inside-story

• Upvote 1

This is obviously where  retrogaming YouTube is headed* . So I decided to get into the action this weekend! 

2 Player Games With Mrs.Bloggo - Bikini Special POW!

*heaps of sarcasm 

• Empathy 1

On 11/11/2018 at 12:58, multiclunk said:

But he then goes on to say it wasn't really them.

To even make a joke about that is a bit weird.

I really didn’t feel comfortable watching any of that. I don’t know if he’s just having a mid-life crisis, but there’s something off about the whole video.

• Upvote 2

On 08/11/2018 at 22:49, Adrock said:

I watched the video already feeling guilty I was adding to his audience numbers. The longer it went on the worse I felt, poor dude.

Up and down, you might say.

On 09/11/2018 at 19:06, Vimster said:

Well I said veneer as although it would probably be explained away as ironic, the fact it was done in the first place negates it.

Diamond later blamed drugs. For that and his shirts.

On 13/11/2018 at 04:48, Lorfarius said:

It's umm... in this weeks JimQuisition (about 16 minutes in):

WIfe and I were watching that and at that point she turned to me and said "What the fuck is that about?" at the same time I said "oh no Dave." Cue me having to explain to her the whole Dave Perry saga while trying not to cringe on his behalf. "Surely he's being ironic right? That has to be ironic." was her conclusion.

• Upvote 1

On 14/11/2018 at 03:22, Monkeyspill said:

To even make a joke about that is a bit weird.

I really didn’t feel comfortable watching any of that. I don’t know if he’s just having a mid-life crisis, but there’s something off about the whole video.

I think it's that he's seen youtubers making bank and he's thought "I've done this before, how hard can it be?" without realizing that the skills of your basic gaming youtuber with an audience as well as what the audience is looking for is incredibly different to the skill set for being a tv presenter in the 90's are. I think he's overthought it. It might well have been better for him to dip his toe in with some playthroughs of the sort of games he enjoys now, or games he liked / loathed from the Gamesmaster days and building up his skills leading to a Super Mario 64 charity playthrough of his most hated level.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

I think it's that he's seen youtubers making bank and he's thought "I've done this before, how hard can it be?" without realizing that the skills of your basic gaming youtuber with an audience as well as what the audience is looking for is incredibly different to the skill set for being a tv presenter in the 90's are. I think he's overthought it. It might well have been better for him to dip his toe in with some playthroughs of the sort of games he enjoys now, or games he liked / loathed from the Gamesmaster days and building up his skills leading to a Super Mario 64 charity playthrough of his most hated level.

judging by some of his recent interviews he doesn’t really play games any more. 

On 18/11/2018 at 13:08, Lorfarius said:

So after a 6 minute video which was filmed without much thought.. it's been 2 whole weeks and no sort of follow up :lol:

He's still practicing on Mario 64.

• Upvote 3

'Social Issues and sexism have gone absolutely crazy, and to be honest they drive me crazy. I have no time for all this 21st Century bulls***.'

I seriously love how the opening of that sentence made me think he's talking about the problems in society, but the second half clarifies his position: He's tired of people complaining about misogyny and social issues and just wants to see some tit.

A man outta time.

• Upvote 3