smac

What's hidden in the fade?

I'm listening to Alice Cooper's 'Welcome to my Nightmare' album. The track 'Department of Youth' ends on the choir repeating 'We're the Department of Youth, we got The Power' to fade, with Alice ad-libbing call-and responses around it.

Just before fade-out, you get the lines:

'...we got the power'
'And who gave it to you?'

'Donny Osmond'*

'What!?'

Any other examples of little in-jokes or other neat stuff hidden in the fade, or the lead-out?

---

*A singer and member of the pop group family 'The Osmonds' famous about 45 years ago - 70s Ed.

• Upvote 2

There's the unintentional inclusion of a really faint instrumental version of The Beatles' Ticket to Ride at the very end of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, which you have to increase the volume very high to hear. Lots of theories about how it came about, such as that it was an old recording that bled through as the tapes were reused, or that it was added when the album was first mastered, or (most plausibly) that it was playing in the background when the "as a matter of fact it's all dark" interview clip was recorded.

And of course the inner groove at the end of Sgt Pepper: a 15kHz tone intended to annoy your dog, followed by the (on vinyl) endlessly-repeating "never could be any other way!" loop.

And the phone call that interrupts the piano at the end of Bowie's Life on Mars!

• Upvote 5

The closer to Queen's Drowse, a Roger Taylor sung tune on A Day At The Races, ends with him muttering on the fade:

"I think I'll be Clint Eastwood
Jimi Hendrix he was good
Let's try William the Conqueror
Now who else do I like?"

And on the 2011 remaster release you can hear that after that he adds "Brian May?"

• Upvote 1

There’s the famous Esso Blue instead of SOS at the end of Message in a Bottle.

I liked the story behind the ‘teeth’ you hear at the start of Stumble by R.E.M. (I think it’s Stumble) as Michael Stipe does his flies up after a piss and references the noise the teeth of the zip make. 

Not in the fade, but at the start of LL Cool J's 'Mama Said ..' where LL is saying, 'come on man', it's him in the studio getting impatient with the engineer as he's pumped and ready to lay down his lyrics and can't wait to go.

• Upvote 3

There's a good one at the end of "Look At All Those Idiots" by Mr Burns featuring Smithers, from The Simpsons Sing The Blues.

The song fades out with the backing singers repeating the chorus. Mr Burns can very faintly be heard grumbling to Smithers "Why are they still playing? They're not still on salary, are they? They're paying for their own coffee!"

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

There's a good one at the end of "Look At All Those Idiots" by Mr Burns featuring Smithers, from The Simpsons Sing The Blues.

The song fades out with the backing singers repeating the chorus. Mr Burns can very faintly be heard grumbling to Smithers "Why are they still playing? They're not still on salary, are they? They're paying for their own coffee!"

One of only two songs from that album that were rightfully praised here:

https://thesimpsons25yearsagotoday.com/2015/12/04/20b-the-simpsons-sing-the-blues/

At the end of Lord Only Knows by Beck:

”Going back to Houston to do the hot dog dance, going back to Houston to get me some pants”