The Mighty Ash

Goodbye Games TM (and Gamesmaster)

Noooo. Really sorry to hear this. I haven't bought it for a while (yep, I'm partially to blame but my interest in games has waned in general over the last few years) but I used to love GTM and their forums. Hope you've got good things to go on to.

• Upvote 1

Oh wow. What happens to subscriptions i wonder?

I must admit i have LOADS of unopened copies of GamesTM and Retro Gamer because i was too lazy too cancel my subscription.

Retro Gamer still going then, that's good. I kinda feel like i can go back to those at any point where as Games TM the news is already out of date as I just look online.

Loved it back in the day, regular reader until a few years back when I had to reduce my magazine spend from three a month (Edge, GamesTM and Retro Gamer) to just one (only Retro Gamer survived the cut.)

• Empathy 2

The writing was on the wall for GamesTM when Future took over. The countless 'lists' every other issues too was a dramatic drop in quality and a last ditch attempt at some sales.

• Upvote 4

Sorry for all the affected staff, and hope they all find work quickly. And hopefully a few readers will also switch to reading Edge - might keep it in print longer, and will certainly be a far better read for them.

• Upvote 2

My residing memory of Games TM was their Bioshock review, which came across as 2 (or was it 4) pages of some insecure writer going 'See dad, I do have a proper job, games are ART'.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I preferred GamesTM to Edge for a while- it was refreshing to read a reasonably well-written magazine that covered contemporary games with some enthusiasm, as opposed to a dispassionate analysis.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

I preferred GamesTM to Edge for a while- it was refreshing to read a reasonably well-written magazine that covered contemporary games with some enthusiasm, as opposed to a dispassionate analysis.

Yeah this. In the early days it was a revelation compared to the dry writing in Edge. I seemed to creep a bit closer to Edge's style later though.

• Upvote 1

I suppose it's difficult to justify games magazines that are slaved to a new cycle that has outpaced them. There's a positive change in that a niche for long-form journalism has emerged in the interim (e.g. Scroll, which was a magnificent magazine) but getting people to pay for that must be hell.

• Upvote 1

I'm a bit sad to see GM going - though I've not bought an issue in more than a decade. I absolutely LOVED the magazine's original style back in the day.

• Upvote 1

That’s a shame. :(

Off-topic, but it reminds me of the short-lived Total Control around ‘99. Anyone remember that one? The early Tokyo Games Show issue was full of scoops I remember it being a great read.

• Upvote 2

The first 50 issues of gamesTM were some of the finest I've ever read. It captured that 'I'm an adult who likes games a lot but am not obsessive about it' thing perfectly.

I was also a mod on their forum in like 2004/5 or something (back when Darran Jones used to be the editor iirc).

Genuine sad news. I hope all the staff are looked after well.

• Upvote 2

As a kid Gamesmaster was really good. Bought it religiously in the 90s. Amazed it was still going.

I haven't bought GamesTM in a long time, as everyone else said it was a good, less introspective alternative to Edge in its day but that was ages ago. 

Really sad to see GamesTM go.  As others have said, was a regular subscriber in the early days and usually read a decent portion of it through Readly each month. Was definitely a refreshing change compared to Edge. Please Retro Gamer has survived the cull though. 

I hope Gamestm gets the chance to do a proper final issue.  I always think that is a classy move when closing long running magazines. 

• Upvote 1

Very surprised to hear that Gamesmaster was still going. I seem to recall it died back when the show was cancelled and was reintroduced some time later with a different style? Could be wrong, this was a long time ago. 

Very fond memories of a bygone era. 

12 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

The first 50 issues of gamesTM were some of the finest I've ever read. It captured that 'I'm an adult who likes games a lot but am not obsessive about it' thing perfectly.

I was also a mod on their forum in like 2004/5 or something (back when Darran Jones used to be the editor iirc).

Genuine sad news. I hope all the staff are looked after well.

I was the retro editor, but never the main editor :)

• Upvote 7

Twitter has reminded me how funny Gamesmaster's screenshot captions were. That's a lost art now.

As a kid whose mum couldn't afford many games, going to safeway in the mid 90s and buying the new issues of the magazines I read was the vicarious equivalent of the thrill of getting a new game. Gamesmaster was particularly exciting because it was just really fun and covered systems I didn't have.

Kids now don't have that which is a pity. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Sad to see them both go. I had a letter printed in GamesMaster when I was a teen many, many moons ago :(

I remember one day bored on the checkouts at tesco, i grabbed a copy of gamesmaster and upon reading it discovered they reviewed my website! (Zelda website)  I was chuffed, although was pretty annoyed when they said it's a shame there were no walkthroughs (when quite clearly in the screenshots they posted it said walkthroughs on the side menu). 

Think i still have the issue somewhere, my website won tons of (meaningless) awards though.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

I suppose it's difficult to justify games magazines that are slaved to a new cycle that has outpaced them. There's a positive change in that a niche for long-form journalism has emerged in the interim (e.g. Scroll, which was a magnificent magazine) but getting people to pay for that must be hell.

Is this Scroll publication still going then? or is even long form print journalism going the way of the dodo too? Never even heard of it. I don't have the attention span anymore to read long multi-page articles so stopped buying or indeed even reading games magazines several years ago.

40 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Snap.

• Upvote 1