jonamok

Best short games

So, I’m done with epics for a while. I want short, interesting games. Games with a clear story that’s definitely done in under 10 hours. Games on one of the current consoles. A story with a great beginning, a short middle (no bloat) and a satisfying ending. Don’t mind the genre or style of gameplay, just not too difficult or frustrating, or demanding lots of repeating the same sections again and again.

What can you all recommend?

• Upvote 1

More shoutouts for Inside, Oxenfree and Edith Finch.

Others;

Last Day of June

Journey

Uncharted Lost Legacy

and Tacoma. Oh yes Tacoma - loved that.

• Upvote 2

The Swapper is great.

LittleNightmares is good, but not as good as Inside, which is the best game of its type. Definitely get that first.

Machinarium is a charming little point and click that's been ported to Vita and (I think) PS4.

Soma is less than ten hours. I think it was on PS+ last year, so you may have it already. Amnesia has definitely been on there recently, and although I don't have the balls to play it, I've heard good things.

Check out howlongtobeat.com.

• Upvote 2

A few short games that I really enjoyed and haven't been mentioned yet: Abzu, Firewatch, and Superhot. Abzu is a bit like underwater Journey, very relaxing and atmospheric. Firewatch tells a great story, it's an adventure game in first-person. Superhot is a fantastic shooter puzzle hybrid thing - completely unique and there's some story to it also.

• Upvote 1

I'm hoping I can get some ideas from this thread also, just finished FFXV & don't want to start another long game because of RDR2.

Some short games I've enjoyed.

Firewatch

Journey

This war of mine

Gone home

Counterspy

Just over the 10 hour mark

Titanfall 2 campaign 

Uncharted Lost Legacy

• Upvote 3

Brothers was a great game that took a few hours to complete, had a grwat, minimalist story told through the game itself rather than cutscenes and had quite satisfying gameplay. It was on Plus ages ago too so you may have it if you owned a PS3. 

Undertale is meant to be quite short too, and was very highly rated. Only just bought that myself though so can't vouch for it. 

• Upvote 1

There's this thread, too, from a couple of years ago, although many of the recommendations are last gen.

More recommendations:

Steamworld Dig 1 & 2 and Steamworld Heist are all good games, 2 being the best. Heist took me about 15hrs to complete, however.

Samus Returns, which came out on the 3DS last year, I think is often overlooked - it's a great little Metroidvania that can be completed in under ten hours if you're not bothered about all the secrets.

Rime is quite nice as well. Not as good as the games from which it derives, but worth a play through. It was also on PS+.

Until Dawn is good, cheesy fun, especially if you're playing with a friend of partner, taking it in turn to decide what to do and which way to go.

The Last Guardian is fantastic, although it might be a bit too 'epic' for your tastes...

• Upvote 2

Yeah, Inside is the best game listed here. It’s short, it’s lovely, and it probably has the best story of any game I’ve played despite not having any dialogue or cutscenes.

• Upvote 2

Inside

Titanfall 2

Ori and The Blind Forest

What Remains of Edith Finch

The Witness

Celeste

Some of those are longer than others, but they’re all fun in bite-size blasts.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for all the recommendations peeps.

Based on ones above I’ve already played, looks like I’ll go with:

Edith Finch

Firewatch

Undertale

Rime

:)

• Upvote 1