jonamok

Best short games

I was thinking Celeste as well; if you’re not going for the optional extras you can see a lot in a single session.

Undertale’s a good call too; quite brief but with lots to come back to.

• Upvote 1

If you like physics puzzlers recently enjoyed Human : Fall Flat. Although thinking about it not sure if it meets the "frustrating, or demanding lots of repeating the same sections again and again" criteria...

• Upvote 2

(For balance) 

I hated Virginia and Rime

Good stuff (all the other suggestions)

Gorogoa

What remains of Edith Finch

Tacoma

The Witness

Dear Esther

Everybody's gone to the rapture (Split opinions a lot this one - I enjoyed it weirdly)

AER Memories of Old

Last day of June

The beginners Guide

Stanley Parable

Her Story

Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery

Brothers

(Interactive Fiction: 9to5)

As everyone else has said though, Inside is a masterpiece

• Upvote 3

Mystik Belle - puzzlevania (a Metroidvania with puzzles). Shouldn't take more than 4-5 hours to play through.

Momodora: Reverie under the Moonlight - stylish but short Metroidvania. Again shouldn't take more than 4-5 hours to play through.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Strangelite said:

The Witness

Wonderful, wonderful game. One of my favourite games ever.

...But I wouldn’t call it short 8-)

Depends how good you are, I guess.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

Thanks for all the recommendations peeps.

Based on ones above I’ve already played, looks like I’ll go with:

Edith Finch

Firewatch

Undertale

Rime

:)

Firewatch is the best game that isn't INSIDE.  Then Finch..

Rime did nothing for me at all and I should try Undertale, especially as it's now on Switch..

• Upvote 2

I really enjoyed, although it was pretty flawed, 'The Way Remastered' on the switch.

Took me maybe 4 hours?

Also played through Undertale in a short amount of time, and feel like I'm gonna play it again soon enough!

• Upvote 1

Those suggesting Undertale... it's not as great as many made it out to be. It's "clever", but it's not really that much fun.

Based on what I played over the weekend, I recommend Shantae: Risky's Revenge. It's about 6 hours long, is a nice Metroidvania with gorgeous pixel art, isn't very difficult, and is fantastic. So play that.

Been mentioned a couple of times already, but Last Day of June needs way more love. Its a wonderful little game (though fair warning, it's a heart breaker) and if you're not familiar already, will introduce you to the music of Steven Wilson. At which point exploring his back catalogue should mean you won't need to play another game for the next 6months (I might be biased, he's my musical hero). 

• Upvote 1

Aztez.

Single-player conquest board game, each game lasts roughly one hour. Instead of rolling dice to determine outcomes you go into a 2D Viewtiful/DMC3/Bayonetta fighting scenario.

Also comes with an Angel Slayer/Bloody Palace mode (Arena) if you just want the game play.

Fucking awesome game. Steam only right now, but coming to consoles soon.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Check out howlongtobeat.com.

I got it to interrogate my Steam library and saved the results to a word document so when ever I'm looking for a short game in my collection I have a list.

All the suggestions in this thread have been great.

5 hours ago, Droo said:

I really enjoyed, although it was pretty flawed, 'The Way Remastered' on the switch.

Took me maybe 4 hours?

Also played through Undertale in a short amount of time, and feel like I'm gonna play it again soon enough!

Currently less than 3 quid on the eShop; I picked it up over the weekend.

• Upvote 1

I see some excellent suggestions already such as Abzu, Inside, Gone Home (which I liked a lot more than their follow-up; Tacoma), Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and What Remains of Edith Finch (for such short games they certainly have a habit of choosing rather long titles eh? :hat:)

In case these haven't been mentioned before:

Jazzpunk - very short and experimental but full of charm and wit.

Thirty Flights of Loving - I believe this can be finished under and hour but basically takes something as simple as a 'jump cut' from cinema and applies it to a videogame. If you're at all interested in narrative storytelling techniques in games then definitely give this a go. 

The Stanley Parable - If you like any of the above then you shouldn't miss out on this. It's brilliant. 

And if you're looking for more experiences like Limbo or Inside then you can't go wrong with Wind: Far Lone Sails and/or Little Nightmares. 

• Upvote 3

One of my favourite categories of game; there have been lots of great suggestions already (plus the execrable Brothers which I implore you to avoid), and I don't want to make a massive list, so I'll limit myself to a very specific subcategory: games that take one hour or less to reach the end of.

Long Live the Queen - the most entertaining life simulator I've played, filled with humour and enjoyable twists. A bit of a cheat, in that it'll almost certainly take you more than an hour before you get your first successful ending, but any single playthrough will be done in under 60 minutes, and those that end in disaster are frequently as entertaining as those that result in glory.

Paratopic - Lynchian weirdness wrapped in gorgeous, late-90s style 3D graphics. Short and thought-provoking, and eminently replayable.

Rez Infinite - the best version of the second-best game of all time. Even more mindblowing if you have VR. Essential either way.

• Upvote 3

Zombi's a short and sweet little game. Twatting zombies in the face with a cricket bat feels good too. 

• Upvote 1