linkster

Favourite acting performance of all time

On 22/09/2018 at 19:45, Jammy said:

Robert Shaw in Jaws for me.

Yep - Robert Shaw as Quint HAS to be my number one.  The best scene in the whole film was written by Shaw himself - and expertly performed.

He steals literally EVERY scene he's in, and when you consider Dreyfuss and Scheider also gave brilliant performances, that's no mean feat. 

• Upvote 5

On 24/09/2018 at 12:04, JPickford said:

Mercedes Ruehl in The Fisher King.  I think that's the one time I correctly predicted an oscar winner just from watching a film.

Absolutely, although Robin Williams also gives one of his best performances. She is utterly, utterly fantastic in that.

Many of my favourite performances from specific actors are in Gilliam movies - Sean Connery in Time Bandits, Michael Palin in Brazil (and Jonathan Price in the lead, plus props to De Niro), Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys (and Willis playing the complete opposite).

Actually, my favourite Connery role is probably as Robin Hood In Robin and Marian - his relationship with Vanessa Redgrave playing Maid Marian is beautifully real.

One perfect performance per the OP? Hmmmmm.... I'll have to think about that one.

Pacino in Any Given Sunday for me as he plays his rumpled man act to perfection. I know it's not a classic but I love that film. James Woods is great in it as well.

And for this speech

• Upvote 2

I might be being a bit daft here because it's so fresh but Michaela Coel in Black Earth Rising is incredible.  She totally blew me away in last nights episode.

Harry Dean Stanton in Paris, Texas.

Form the silent opening to the end, absolute genius and without doubt the most amazing performance I've ever seen.

• Upvote 1