deKay

PlayStation Classic - December 2018

Relive the moments that changed gaming forever, with the iconic PlayStation Classic – featuring 20 of the best games from the original PlayStation console, including Final Fantasy VII, TEKKEN 3, R4: Ridge Racer Type 4, Jumping Flash!, Wild Arms and more to be announced.

$99 / €99 (so probably £99), 3rd December.

L-lead-hand-755x425.jpg.0f1b0e4b55276ac53cd510a0db17df53.jpg

42964774390_ce5d11c700_b.thumb.jpg.99f89961d6741b2968c56ec9704ca485.jpg

• Upvote 5

Nice! If it had Wipeout 3 / 2097 on there, I’d probably get one, although I guess music licensing makes that unlikely.  Interesting (and promising) that RR Type 4 and Tekken 3 are on there given that they aren’t first party games. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

^Not if you factor in the price of games.

When can I preorder one? :omg:

All of the games listed so far have been super cheap on Vita.

That’s the only thing causing me pause tbh. That and I still have my OG ‘95 Playstation with Time Crisis etc and it still works perfectly.

I’d assumed all the games would just be ones that were on Vita, but I’m pretty sure Tekken 3 wasn’t one of them, which again is promising. 

37 minutes ago, ryodi said:

No Dual Shock makes me wonder if they'll release another version next year.

I wonder if they’re saving that for a PS2 version, which could include PS1 games as a nod to back compatability. Or just one with a PSone shell. 

• Upvote 1

Would've preferred PS1 games on PS4 to another lump of plastic under the TV but perhaps I'm not the target audience for this.

Edit: actually, if this has Gran Turismo 1/2 on it, it'll be ideal for my mum. Slightly irritated that Sony are dragging their heels on revealing the full lineup of games though.

• Upvote 3

Jumping Flash? Who wants that again? Still, good call on Ridge 4 , despite the original probably being the more "iconic" title. There simply has to be a Wipeout game, hopefully 2097, but the more I think about it the harder it gets to think what the musts actually are. Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil, and after that it gets tricky.

Also, no power supply. Internet crybabies better start getting their keyboards in a twist over that!

8 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Would've preferred PS1 games on PS4 to another lump of plastic under the TV but perhaps I'm not the target audience for this.

A thousand times this! 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

All of the games listed so far have been super cheap on Vita.

That’s the only thing causing me pause tbh. That and I still have my OG ‘95 Playstation with Time Crisis etc and it still works perfectly.

is this a PSTV, they had laying around, in a PSone shell? custom firmware, and they're good to go.

and how long until it's hacked?

what are the other 15 games?

• Upvote 3

It is a bit annoying to not know the full lineup, although I suspect they've made a quick announcement today to try and grab the headlines over the launch of the Switch online service.

Think PaRappa is a given. Would love to see Bishi Bashi Special or International Track and Field.

• Upvote 1

Will be interesting to see how these early 3D games with their texture warping problems hold up on massive tellies. Methinks not well at all (probably worse than the SNES games on the SNES Classic Mini), but I’m obviously interested in the PS Classic for nostalgia purposes!

Also: Metal Gear Solid, please!

• Upvote 2

Real talk, for me the PS1 was about all sorts of random crap, often only played as demos, and Yaroze. A classics console like this won’t be able to capture that until it’s hacked and I can put OPM disk images on it.

When did it switch over from words on the buttons to symbols? Or was that a PAL/NTSC thing?

• Upvote 4

Just now, Eighthours said:

Will be interesting to see how these early 3D games with their texture warping problems hold up on massive tellies. Methinks not well at all (probably worse than the SNES games on the SNES Classic Mini), but I’m obviously interested in the PS Classic for nostalgia purposes!

Affine texture warping and aliasing is part of the classic PSone feel, it makes the games look warmer and more satisfying.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, K said:

I’d assumed all the games would just be ones that were on Vita, but I’m pretty sure Tekken 3 wasn’t one of them, which again is promising. 

I bet this is basically Vita TV hardware too.

When it’s hacked, it will be interesting to see how much internal storage there is for adding games. A bit easier on the NES/SNES classic as the file sizes are small, the PS1-games are upwards to 700MB, no?

4 minutes ago, deKay said:

I bet this is basically Vita TV hardware too.

Yeah, but they’d be mad to develop custom hardware for this when they’ve got a perfectly good system lying around already. All they need to do is make a new case, and some retro controllers (which I would guess are based on DS4 hardware as well). 

2 minutes ago, MoFo2 said:

When it’s hacked, it will be interesting to see how much internal storage there is for adding games. A bit easier on the NES/SNES classic as the file sizes are small, the PS1-games are upwards to 700MB, no?

Assuming they were on one disc. We already know FFVII is on there, so maybe it has about 15-20GB to play with?

I have my "original" PS1, my brother-in-laws PS1, and I have a PSone I picked up for £15 from WHSmith in Bluewater.

What I don't have is any of my games. *sniff*

so I'm hoping the remaining 15 games include some of the following:

Destruction Derby (2)

An ISS game (98 or Pro Evo2)

Tomb Raider

Nightmare Creatures

Tenchu Stealth Assassins

Bushido Blade

Metal Gear Solid

GT2

Colin McRae 2.0

Doom

Tony Hawk 1

[edit]

AND DIE HARD TRILOGY!

Edited by SeanR
  • Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, MoFo2 said:

A lot of games used only a fraction of the storage of the cd and mostly for the FMV etc and I'm sure modern compression can bring that down, but stuff like FFVII on multiple discs can only be shrunk so much so I'm guessing it's into the Gb's. 8Gb I'd guess.

Yeah if it can be hacked like the Nintendo Mini that makes it a ton more appealing. If you could get 50-60 games on there.. OPM discs... etc

I’ve played the core PS Classics to death. It’s the less-popular titles, random titles that would make this appealing.