deKay

PlayStation Classic - December 2018

Nice! I know I shouldn't bother when you can probably get a PSP-2000 and one of the video cables to play it on your TV, but these mini consoles always look great.

It would have been nice to have some kind of wi-fi link to the Store's range of PS1 classics though. It'd be free money! Maybe.

3 minutes ago, amc said:

Sega could be rolling in it if they pulled their finger out. Number one priority should be taking the mini Megadrive away from shatgames. They fucked up the smartphone game roll out a while back too. Come on Sega strike while the nostalgia iron is hot.

Sega are infuriatingly random with this kind of thing, treating some games with incredible amounts of care, attention and respect and then just farting others out of the door in a complete state.

Also their habit of making terrible action games out of RPG franchises...

Hopefully Sega might be getting their shit sorted, they have delayed the 'official' mega drive mini into 2019 to rethink it

https://gematsu.com/2018/09/sega-mega-drive-mini-delayed-to-2019

Sega has delayed the Sega Fes 2018-announced Mega Drive Mini (name tentative) to 2019.

According to the company, while the device was in development for release in 2018, the response to its announcement was particularly big overseas, and a Genesis model for North America and Mega Drive model for Europe are now in preparation with plans for a simultaneous worldwide release.

Also, in order to Sega achieve a level of quality that Sega fans expect, Sega has established a system to rethink the design of the device with the original team at its core, as well as cooperate with Japanese developers proven in software development.

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/09/sega-mega-drive-mini-delayed-to-2019#baGFHz5CDPsLtHK7.99

12 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

PlayStation should also post up a retailory tweet about their PlayStation Now service... and state that you don't need to find a disc to play the games, so "now" is more instant than Xbox's "now" ;)

Instead of "PlayStation Now", they should call it "PlayStation in about 250ms". 

amirite?

• Upvote 3

thing is ps1 and n64 graphics have dated so badly compared to timeless sprite based stuff. Looks utterly antique in the worst way to me. Think i'll keep my fond memories and leave it there.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, matt0 said:

...their habit of making terrible action games out of RPG franchises...

But in contrast, the one time they made an awesome RPG out of an action franchise.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Dave White said:

thing is ps1 and n64 graphics have dated so badly compared to timeless sprite based stuff. Looks utterly antique in the worst way to me. Think i'll keep my fond memories and leave it there.

It's definitely a harder sell. Will be curious to see how well this does, or how well a potential N64 mini does compared to the NES/SNES.

I was never that fond of how the PS1 generation looked at the time with all the fogging, texture warping, low detail etc. but it's grown on me loads over the years. Any game where they don't have to render realistic looking people in large environments has started to look better and better to me as games have got closer to photo-realism. So driving games, shmups, the later one on one fighters where the focus is on rendering two characters etc.

There's just something inherently videogamey about them. Like seeing an old Daytona or Time Crisis arcade cabinet and just watching the attract mode for a minute.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

If Sega ever get around to making a mini Saturn instead at least they wouldn't need to worry about licenses...

Virtua Fighter Remix

Virtua Fighter 2

Fighters Megamix

Fighting Vipers

Panzer Dragoon

Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Burning Rangers

Nights / Xmas Nights

Sega Rally

Manx TT

Daytona USA

Last Bronx

Dynamite Cop

Athlete Kings

Winter Heat

Guardian Heroes

Shinobi X

Sonic Jam

Clockwork Knight

Never gonna happen choice : Exhumed 

Shut up and take my money.gif

I was a Saturn guy. This list needs Virtual On and Shining the Holy Ark.

Pre-ordered this PlayStation, because I was never had one back in the day.

• Upvote 2

Also, the interest in these machines very clearly shows there is interest in BC. Or maybe the interest in BC has resulted in these machines getting created.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

I didn’t own one at launch, I know the PS3 thing wasn’t at launch and thought they dripfed release, but I only bought a Vita a few years ago.

The point was, they had no problem with licenses in bringing significantly more than 20 games to Vita. 

Ah ok. I'm assuming that this will run the same PSN Rom's. So don't expect anything that's not been made available on that.

1 hour ago, Duckula said:

Has the 50Hz thing been confirmed anywhere?

On the PSBlog, it says: ‘All of the preloaded games will be playable in their original format.’ Which makes me suspicious!

4 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Also, the interest in these machines very clearly shows there is interest in BC. Or maybe the interest in BC has resulted in these machines getting created.

I think it's nostalgia more than BC, really. Playing the games of our childhood on authentic yet dinky reproductions of the consoles that played host to them has an appeal that doesn't really translate to being able to play a six year old game on its immediate successor platform. It's more along the lines of a re-release, which brings marketing attention and I suspect drives sales more than (relatively) quietly enabling compatibility.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Instead of "PlayStation Now", they should call it "PlayStation in about 250ms". 

amirite?

You've clearly never used my broadband...!

13 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I don't think so.  I'm in the backwards compatibility is a non-issue camp, but then I keep my old consoles.

I think this shows more that people sell or bin old stuff, and then regret it, or their rose-tinted view thinks buying it again for old times sake is a good plan, nostalgic views have a lot to answer for.

4 hours ago, K said:

didn’t the Saturn version have music entirely by Cold Storage?

It did indeed, and it was a great soundtrack. 

Not a reasonable line of defence in the playground, though, when having the piss taken by Sony fanboys for owning the Sega Sad-turd. No licenced music! Can’t do translucencies! No Fifa! Sticking with Sega at that time was a challenge to say the least. 

All is forgiven now though, I’ll definitely be getting one of these!

• Upvote 1

Can't be arsed, I'll pay £18 and play NES games on my Switch or old Xbox and 360 games on my X I don't need yet more plastic tat, and what's the point of pre orders when they haven't even announced the full games line up, meh.

• Empathy 1

Looking forward to this time next year, when everyone admits they played about an hour of FFVII and never switched it on again.

The little console is totally cute, though. 

• Upvote 5

The thing I like the most about these mini consoles is holding a brand new controller that doesn't have 25 years of cheesy wotsits and palm sweat in every crevice, it really scratches my inner nerd. Is that really worth £70-90?

Yes.

Yes it is.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I will be herculeanly surprised if this isn’t a reboxed vita tv running eboot files. 

I'm guessing it's just some bog standard part from the likes of Rockchip. 

Looks gorgeous. I’m surprised how many people are bothered about the lack of the dual shock. Having bought one at launch I feel like Ape Escape was the only game that ever really used it, with everything else just replacing digital control on the d-pad with digital control on the stick. It was pretty poorly supported and there’s literally one game you can’t play without it.

Hopefully it will connect to a store, because 20 games is pretty crap, especially if the examples they’ve offered are illustrative of their general plans. Based on that it doesn’t look like whoever is organising the games is on my kind of vibe games wise. The 60hz will be the tipping point for me, if it’s 50 there’s no way I’m bothering.

8 hours ago, Paulando said:

I read once that the full game world of FFVII was stored on each game disc, and it was only the FMV that changed between discs, taking up most of the space.

I think that that the half of the world you can visit on disc one is on there, ditto disc two with the other half. Disc three is pretty much only the final dungeon and boss story wise, but the rest of the disc is filled with the whole of the world from the first two discs as that’s the first time every area is fully accessible at the same time.

7 hours ago, BBBBBB said:

No Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Wipeout 2097 or Tomb Raider in the headline list/trailer is a bit worrying? The rest of the stuff they haven't announced is gonna be filler right?

Maybe these are are just the games they’ve already secured and they’re still negotiating on other stuff?

4 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

It just needs more than 20 games to do the machine justice, especially if stuff like Jumping Flash and Wild Arms are included. They're the calibre of games I'd be happy to see in a 50 strong lineup, not taking the place of a real classic. 

You shut your whore mouth, Wild ARMs is a stone cold classic.

2 hours ago, TehStu said:

Also, the interest in these machines very clearly shows there is interest in BC.

Not at all. There’s no chance any manufacturer is ever going to offer BC for twenty to thirty year old games. It’s aconpletely different situation.

I noticed Tekken 3 isn't on PSN in the US or the EU, which suggests they aren't necessarily ripping stuff they already have on there. Fingers crossed for 60Hz, then.

Great, now we can relive 25 glorious years of Sony cribbing hardware ideas from Nintendo starting with this, a hardware idea they cribbed from Nintendo.

I mean I guess I'll get one.

• Upvote 3