deKay

PlayStation Classic - December 2018

Decent first 5 games on the reveal, although Wild Arms is the only surprise so far...

I'm cautiously excited, I love these little consoles, racked up plenty of time on my NES and SNES minis. It's a shame Sega can't get their shit together with their own and get M2 involved on the emulation and front end.

The problem is going to be licences, which will have long since expired. So no Gran Turismo, no music in Tony Hawk's, no F1, no Tomb Raider maybe?, no FIFA.... Essentially nothing with licenced cars, music, sports teams, characters or possibly anything that has gone on to be a bigger franchise.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

The problem is going to be licences, which will have long since expired. So no Gran Turismo, no music in Tony Hawk's, no F1, no Tomb Raider maybe?, no FIFA.... Essentially nothing with licenced cars, music, sports teams, characters or possibly anything that has gone on to be a bigger franchise.

Good point...

13 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Hopefully they are busy behind the scenes sorting the licenses and that's why they haven't announced the full line-up.

Will get one for Ridge Racer alone assuming it’s 60hz and has the hires version too!

What I really hope is that it doesn’t load games properly unless you turn the console upside down!

• Upvote 1

I've pre-ordered, even though I own a US machine and play such delights with a Sony PVM

SOTN_CRT.thumb.jpg.fe4f167c8d7cd36d7eeca5cc204898fa.jpg

Might be unsurprising to hear that I think this console and it's games library have aged like a fine wine. So many classics that play just as good today as they did back then. 

I have a bunch of games for it, all US or Jap so my keeping of the pre-order depends on - 

• Full list of games. If there's not a lot that I don't already have then deal breaker. 
  • 50 Hz. Fuck that shit. Need confirmation that this stuff runs at 60. 
  • Quality of the emulation. Don't want massive input lag. 

...in saying all that, it's a new toy so I'll prob get it anyway. 

12 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Will get one for Ridge Racer alone assuming it’s 60hz and has the hires version too!

Imagine if they put the work in and redid the high resolution demo to include everything from the normal game, forget what they left out but it was pretty bare bones. That would be worth the price of the console alone for me.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Pretty sure you could play PSOne games on the Vita from very early on if not launch? I thought based on your post they'd suddenly released a pile more games. Clearly not.

I didn’t own one at launch, I know the PS3 thing wasn’t at launch and thought they dripfed release, but I only bought a Vita a few years ago.

The point was, they had no problem with licenses in bringing significantly more than 20 games to Vita. 

If Sega ever get around to making a mini Saturn instead at least they wouldn't need to worry about licenses...

Virtua Fighter Remix

Virtua Fighter 2

Fighters Megamix

Fighting Vipers

Panzer Dragoon

Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Burning Rangers

Nights / Xmas Nights

Sega Rally

Manx TT

Daytona USA

Last Bronx

Dynamite Cop

Athlete Kings

Winter Heat

Guardian Heroes

Shinobi X

Sonic Jam

Clockwork Knight

Never gonna happen choice : Exhumed

Shut up and take my money.gif

• Upvote 9

7 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I didn’t own one at launch, I know the PS3 thing wasn’t at launch and thought they dripfed release, but I only bought a Vita a few years ago.

The point was, they had no problem with licenses in bringing significantly more than 20 games to Vita. 

That was then though... this is now.  Then might have been a fantastical amazing set of once-in-a-lifetime circumstances that allowed them to do it.  Normally licences can be such a quagmire of legal effort it's usually a miracle when big licences-full games are rereleased at all.

4 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

If Sega ever get around to making a mini Saturn instead at least they wouldn't need to worry about licenses...

Virtua Fighter Remix

Virtua Fighter 2

Fighters Megamix

Fighting Vipers

Panzer Dragoon

Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Burning Rangers

Nights / Xmas Nights

Sega Rally

Manx TT

Daytona USA

Last Bronx

Dynamite Cop

Athlete Kings

Winter Heat

Guardian Heroes

Shinobi X

Sonic Jam

Clockwork Knight

They can't even get a mini Mega Drive right.

7 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Virtua Fighter Remix

Virtua Fighter 2

Fighters Megamix

Fighting Vipers

Panzer Dragoon

Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Burning Rangers

Nights / Xmas Nights

Sega Rally

Manx TT

Daytona USA

Last Bronx

Dynamite Cop

Athlete Kings

Winter Heat

Guardian Heroes

Shinobi X

Sonic Jam

Clockwork Knight

Pepsiman says hi! And the various car manufacturers.

Pedantry aside, check out this bitchiness lol

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

That was then though... this is now.  Then might have been a fantastical amazing set of once-in-a-lifetime circumstances that allowed them to do it.  Normally licences can be such a quagmire of legal effort it's usually a miracle when big licences-full games are rereleased at all.

Maybe.

Then was 5-6 years ago. What could have gone disastrously wrong with licensing with every developer in the meantime? I mean, they’re clearly chill with Namco and Square.

If we can add roms it won’t matter anyway, but I don’t think we should be inventing problems to justify the meagre game-list Sony is offering here.

PlayStation should also post up a retailory tweet about their PlayStation Now service... and state that you don't need to find a disc to play the games, so "now" is more instant than Xbox's "now" ;)

10 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Virtua Fighter Remix

Virtua Fighter 2

Fighters Megamix

Fighting Vipers

Panzer Dragoon

Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Burning Rangers

Nights / Xmas Nights

Sega Rally

Manx TT

Daytona USA

Last Bronx

Dynamite Cop

Athlete Kings

Winter Heat

Guardian Heroes

Shinobi X

Sonic Jam

Clockwork Knight

As someone who never owned a Saturn or played these - this would be incredible.

1 minute ago, Smoothy said:

PlayStation should also post up a retailory tweet about their PlayStation Now service... and state that you don't need to find a disc to play the games, so "now" is more instant than Xbox's "now" ;)

Or just ask XboxUK how many people they think own 500+ Xbox and 360 games to allow them to play them "totally for free"

• Upvote 1

Sega could be rolling in it if they pulled their finger out. Number one priority should be taking the mini Megadrive away from shatgames. They fucked up the smartphone game roll out a while back too. Come on Sega strike while the nostalgia iron is hot.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

I hope so. There's bound to be some stuff on there I won't touch and might be essential if we're lumped with unoptimised 50Hz PAL nonsense.

Has the 50Hz thing been confirmed anywhere?