Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Avatar: The Last Airbender (Live-action TV show)

They're giving a live-action Avatar another go, after that movie which doesn't exist. It's being run by the original animated show's creators/showrunners and will be on Netflix, in partnership with Nickelodeon. They specifically mention a culturally-appropriate, non-whitewashed cast and that Netflix are backing them in their vision to go even deeper into the characters, story, action, and world-building.

Also this concept art

DMblXFh.jpg

The fact that the original creators are involved is encouraging, but I'm not sure what there is to gain from this, beyond the novelty of seeing scenes and characters recreated in live-action. It's not as if the original series has significant flaws that need correcting. If this was an announcement for a continuation set in the same world, set either centuries before Aang or decades after Korra, I'd be instantly excited, whether it was animated or live-action.

Netflix seem to have a good relationship with former Avatar/Korra staff when it comes to producing Netflix original animated series: Lauren Montgomery and Joaquim Dos Santos (king of the fight scene!) have been working on Voltron: Legendary Defender, and writer Aaron Ehasz has been working on The Dragon Prince. So you'd imagine that if Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko approached Netflix wanting to work on an animated series (especially as Nickelodeon seem willing to share the Avatar brand), they'd snap them up.

So there must be a good reason why they want to work in live-action. But for me, all I can think is that going to live-action means losing those visual jokes where it switches to complete cartooniness, which were some of my favourite gags in the series:

gFoeuYy.gif

fLo8UVB.gif

80TGHMW.gif

It's an odd one. I'm of a similar position to the folk who think the animations are practically perfect, and after enjoying Voltron enormously I've been having hopes that maybe we'd get a new Avatar series on Netflix. 

Maybe it'll happen one day.

Same, it's difficult to see what can be added to the show that wasn't already in there.. I mean they can revise and tidy up a few elements, but tinkering with it too much risks losing the brilliance of the original.. which for me is right up there with the best TV shows of all time - kids series or otherwise..

Even some of the lore additions they made in Korra didn't really work too well..

Spoiler

their vision to go even deeper into the characters, story, action, and world-building.

..I don't feel like the show lacks any of these things..  the characters are all well defined and consistent, the action is already incredible (and not going to be easy to replicate on a TV budget!) and the technology, peoples and different cultures of the world are shown in plenty of detail during the series..

I mean if it introduces people to the world who wouldn't watch a kids cartoon then fine.. but it's not as though the original is something that most adults would run screaming from either.. Wonder if the show will be half hour episodes.. or will they be padding out 22 minutes of animation to regular tv show length..? :unsure:

The casting would have to be spot on and I think it will be difficult to find the right children actors with the dramatic and comedic chops required in the series.