Mr Tony

Mr Tonys Amiga 1200 Restoring Adventure!

Here's a wee peek at some of the software. There are loads of discs, these are mostly the best legit ones:

IMG_4794 copy.jpg

IMG_4795 copy.jpg

IMG_4796 copy.jpg

Funnily enough, the 3 discs labelled "Don't fuck", yeah. They're fucked.

IMG_4797 copy.jpg

• Upvote 6

Need some decent joysticks? I have a pair of Powerplay Cruisers (one fruit salad, one black/red autofire) which I got to go with the ZX Spectrum Next, but I sold on my pledge for that one as I didn't like the project direction. Trying to clear stuff out, so should be able to do you a good price.

No-one should have to use those awful Quickshots.

1 minute ago, Alexlotl said:

Need some decent joysticks? I have a pair of Powerplay Cruisers (one fruit salad, one black/red autofire) which I got to go with the ZX Spectrum Next, but I sold on my pledge for that one as I didn't like the project direction. Trying to clear stuff out, so should be able to do you a good price.

No-one should have to use those awful Quickshots.

We'll see. Currently negotiating for an Apple IIe, so depends on how much I pay for that.

42 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

We'll see. Currently negotiating for an Apple IIe, so depends on how much I pay for that.

Oh wow! Always wanted one of those!

5 hours ago, roberthazelby said:

This machine will need a full recap as those capacitors will be on their way out by now.

What a find!

I haven't opened it up to clean the inside, but if it is running okay will it really? What should I be looking for when I open it to see what capacitors may be on their way out?

6 hours ago, roberthazelby said:

This machine will need a full recap as those capacitors will be on their way out by now.

What a find!

Is a recap something an enthusiastic amateur could attempt? I have an a1200 that will need it doing and I'm just wondering the best way to go about it?

@Mr Tony what are you using to clean the outside? 

15 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Is a recap something an enthusiastic amateur could attempt? I have an a1200 that will need it doing and I'm just wondering the best way to go about it?

@Mr Tony what are you using to clean the outside? 

Very small amounts of watered down nail varnish remover on make up removal pads.

17 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

Plug made safe! 

BCB9D6D3-B188-4790-99EB-EC881F60D884.jpeg

Cables all needed cleaning too. Thing was ugh.

Aldi wetwipes on the cables will bring them up near spotless without much fuss and a quick go on the everready logo with wet toothbrush will get all that muck from around the plug logo.

I'm restoring a manky dreamcast and pad I got from ebay at the moment so I share your pain. I couldn't believe the amount of crap in the pad. It's all stripped down ready for de-yellowing but we've got a five day forecast of wind and thunderstorms !

Very good condition my arse, makes you wonder what state they keep their houses in. :lol:

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Literally watered down? What ratios are we talking?

Some nail varnish remover. Some water.

• Upvote 1

With regards to the disc failure problem is it worth adding a hard drive? There was an Amiga at Bath meet years ago which I can't remember who brought and it had a hard drive with tons of games on and it was far quicker and more convenient than using discs. 

Opened up and stripped the machine down today. Someone else has had it open over the years, looks like the status LEDs were replaced. They did a good job too.

Rest of the machine was just about as filthy as the outside, so took it right down to the case. filthy1.jpg

Not nice eh? Unfortunately a lot of the marks on the metal shielding is actually corrosion, so there's not a huge amount I can do to that. Cleaned it as best I can. Opened the shielding up while I was at it. No swelling, bulging or leaking from any of the capacitors. They are all in good condition, happy days. @Ninja Doctor will be pleased.

7 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Lol, helpful! I might just break out the baby wipes and see if that does the job.

You're suggesting wet wipes instead of diluted nail varnish remover? Or are the wet wipes in place of the make up remover pads?

I'm assuming nail varnish remover still has the active ingredient of acetone, which won't be present in wet wipes alone.

9 hours ago, Gregory Wolfe said:

You're suggesting wet wipes instead of diluted nail varnish remover? Or are the wet wipes in place of the make up remover pads?

I'm assuming nail varnish remover still has the active ingredient of acetone, which won't be present in wet wipes alone.

I was going with wipes because I'm a bit concerned the nail polish remover will damage it an Mr Tony hasn't been very accurate with what quantities I should use...

48 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I was going with wipes because I'm a bit concerned the nail polish remover will damage it an Mr Tony hasn't been very accurate with what quantities I should use...

6 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Acetone is a pretty nasty solvent to use on plastics. I would suggest getting some isopropanol alcohol if you want to go chemical. 

Yeah I don't have exacts, i just watered it down! Didn't want it to do damage so I thinned it right out.