EUkdazs

What musical hill are you prepared to die on?

Everything else on Daft Punk's Homework is better than Revolution 909. It sounds like it should have been a 45 second interlude, and you could skip to almost any part in the track and it wouldn't sound that different from the previous part you were listening to.

EDIT: that said, it's the kind of thing that could be dropped into a mix and nobody would mind. It's just a bit :unsure: in isolation.

2 hours ago, watusi said:

Covers of Bob Dylan songs are generally  superior to the originals. 

That's because Bob Dylan can't fucking sing.

2 hours ago, watusi said:

Covers of Bob Dylan songs are generally  superior to the originals. 

I don't know if I agree with this (I can think of a few Dylan covers that are better, but a fair few that are worse), but I feel exactly this way about the Beatles.

By way of example, this is so much better than the original for me.

• Upvote 4

Faith No More's covers of Easy, War Pigs, This Guy's in Love With You and I started a Joke are all vastly superior to their respective originals. 

Edit - and while I'm at it, Michale Graves was a much better singer and frontman for Misfits than Glen Danzig ever was.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, David Kenny said:

I don't know if I agree with this (I can think of a few Dylan covers that are better, but a fair few that are worse), but I feel exactly this way about the Beatles.

By way of example, this is so much better than the original for me.

OK, at their best, the rare standout, exceptional ones may possibly be improvements, I'll give you that. (Personally I really like this and this, among many others, though I still like the originals more.)

But be careful! Even if there's something about the originals (say, the singing voices) that puts you off ever loving them, then suggesting that covers of their songs are "generally" improvements still isn't something to say lightly! They've been covered so many times over the years (even excluding amateur recordings on YouTube), rearranged into so many other genres, with such variable quality that you can't make any generalistion about what they have in common.

I mean, if I take that "generally superior" phrase literally to an absurd extent, it's implying that when Mojo puts out those full album tribute discs for anniversaries, most of the tracks would be expected to be improvements on the originals. Which is just silly:

I'm curious to know if the covers below fit into your rule of generally being improvements on the originals? :eyebrows:

Spoiler

(^ I actually genuinely think this last one is amazing, honest)

• Upvote 2

Here are my two hills:

1. REM stayed just as good for several albums after they switched from IRS to WB. There wasn't any sudden decline due to "selling out", as some fans have it.

2. Related to that: I often see fans dismissing a band's most accessible, popular breakthtough album, in favour of championing either the one immediately before it (from before their peak mainstream success) or the follow-up (after the hype had died down, or when they were reacting to their fame by being wilfully awakward).

Whereas I often think that their most famous album was the most popular for a good reason: better songs. Catchiness isn't necessarily something to be rejected!

Taking some examples mostly from the '90s, here are some cases where I go with the critical/commercial consensus:

I prefer Elephant to White Blood Cells

Nevermind > In Utero

Everything Must Go > The Holy Bible

Different Class > His n Hers

Different Class > This Is Hardcore

Parklife > Modern Life is Rubbish

Urban Hymns > A Northern Soul

BloodSugarSexMagik > every other RHCP album (no matter what you One Hot Minute advocates say!)

I like all those albums. None of them on the "underdog" side are at all obscure, so I don't think that many people who dismiss the most famous title do it because they're trying to be seen as gatekeeping connoisseurs of hidden knowledge. But I see it often enough that that I want to do my bit to redress the balance.

Of course there are cases where I've been on the other side of the argument: for example, I'm that weirdo who likes Björk's Medulla more than Vespertine!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, Nick R said:

Of course there are cases where I've been on the other side of the argument: for example, I'm that weirdo who likes Björk's Medulla more than Vespertine!

Homogenic > Debut > everything else.

8 hours ago, Nick R said:

Here are my two hills:

1. REM stayed just as good for several albums after they switched from IRS to WB. There wasn't any sudden decline due to "selling out", as some fans have it.

Certainly up to Automatic for the People. They went more pop, but were just as strong. Green pips Murmur as my favourite  R.E.M. album.  

3 hours ago, David Kenny said:

@Nick R At least two of those spoilered tracks are amazing! The Mission Impossible/Norwegian Wood one, and Sean Connery channelling Shatner are actual musical masterpieces. Thanks!

I've long said I'll have the Sean Connery one played at my funeral. It'll give everyone a good laugh as my coffin goes through the curtain.

12 hours ago, Nick R said:

Everything Must Go > The Holy Bible

If you need someone to kill you on that hill, I'm free.

• Upvote 2

Lots of Beatles covers are better than the originals for sure, but there's absolute atrocities like the Flaming Lips' full cover album of Sgt Pepper to remind you of the worst excesses of bad covers.

Although the Miley Cyrus version of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds on that album is sort of ok

25 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

The Max Romeo track is bearable. The other tracks posted I had to switch off after 30 seconds, I actually found them offensive to my cloth ears.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

If you need someone to kill you on that hill, I'm free.

I like The Holy Bible, but you can really tell that the music and lyrics were conceived separately: there are just too many times when the band struggles to contort those ridiculously dense lyrical rants into workable vocal melodies. The counter-intuitive scansion is awkward of the to the point of making even the few straightforward lines incomprehensible. (I challenge anyone to work out more than 60% of the words to "PCP" without consulting the lyrics sheet.) It's not helped by the muddy production, which I understand was improved on the American release's mixes.

Whereas Everything Must Go might not have the AUTHENTIC ANGRY ANGST of The Holy Bible, but its music and lyrics fit together far more naturally. Like I say: sometimes the most popular album becomes the most popular for a very good reason. One man's "selling out to the mainstream" is another man's "making better music". ^_^

13 hours ago, EUkdazs said:

Homogenic > Debut > everything else.

I'm going to say...

Homogenic

Medúlla

Vespertine

Debut

Life's Too Good

Vulnicura

Selmasongs

Biophilia

Utopia