Sign in to follow this  
kerraig UK

Cold War

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6543652/

Well fuck! it's not often I drop the M bomb, and at times I wondered if i'd ever really use it again. But this right here for me, was a Masterpiece. Capital M.

This is the latest film from the Director of Ida. Pawel Pawlikowski

You can guess from the title what it is about, or at least when it is set (the title is much cleverer than that) and i'll spoil no more. Sufficed to say this isn't just a great example of its genre, or one of the films of the year. It is simply one of the best films i've ever seen. It utterly disarmed me. I'll remember this trip to the cinema forever.

To give you an idea of the company it keeps; It proudly sits at the table (though not at the head) with Come and See, Lives of Others, Goodbye Lenin & Schindlers List. It is a love story, a polemic, a parable, a metaphor, a warning. It is about two people, it is also about the etymology of music, and about history, paranoia, freedom, prison, guilt, obsession, love and ultimately fatality, while not actually being anything more than a boy meets girl tale. 

This is not recommended viewing. This is essential cinema. This is cinema. You have to watch it.

• Upvote 4

Hands down one of the most gorgeous-looking (and sounding!) films I've ever seen. I've had Oy Oy Oy in my head all day. I wasn't entirely sold on Ida, but this really did blow me away aurally and visually. Some scenes that you just know are going to be gracing the front covers of those 1001 Arty Films You Must See Before You Die books in 10 years time.

The setting was great, but I felt the rapidly time-jumping plot didn't give us much time to get to know the characters as much as I would have liked. The ending didn't affect me much.

Still, a proper beautiful experience, one of those you can only get through film.

• Upvote 1

Simply superb. @kerraig UK sums it up better than I could, and as he says it really is essential viewing. I've been blown away by lots of films this year. For my money it's been a really strong 9 months or so for new releases, and this is right up near the top of my films of the year so far.

And I think I've fallen in love a bit with Joanna Kulig.

• Upvote 1

I really love films that use time jumps as their structure, and this does it masterfully. Films like Brokeback Mountain, Blue Is The Warmest Colour, Boyhood. There's just something about stories told over a longer period of time that really hits hard emotionally.